Wish me good luck. (for Ektar 100)

jmahto

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I started shooting film few months ago (again). After two decades! So far I have tried few BW films (Ilford HP5 400, Tri-X 400 and T-MAX 400) but for color, I tried only UltraMax400 (hey, it was cheap!). I was not very happy with UltraMax. Colors were ok but it had tons of grain visible even in web size pictures. I didn't like it for outdoors pictures.

Now I am going on a backpacking trip for couple of days and decided to carry only film. (It is no risk for capturing memory since other friends will have digital). I searched till the end of the internet(s) and learned that Kodak created Ektar 100 exactly for my purpose. :) I also learned that I have to be super smart in order to use it since it is not a film for dummies. I guess I will be ok. In any case, I am going to carry extra film just so that I can bracket if needed. Not to cover for metering but more to experiment and see what happens to the color in over/under exposing.

Now my day is approaching and suddenly the forecast for the backpacking days has turned to cloudy with thunderstorms. I am afraid I may not have any sunny blue skies at all for which Ektar is famous for (so I have been told by internet(s)).

I am going to shoot anyway. Wish me good luck.

• Like 2

Thanks, and good luck Jayant! You will still see the Ektar magic shine through - in any weather. I'd be inclined to stick to box speed and average metering - Ektar likes to play it nice and safe. Have a great hike - I'm sure you'll end up impressing your digital friends with the colours you achieve.

• Like 2

One thing to keep in mind with Ektar 100 is that shadow and dark areas tend to appear with purple-blueish casts. This can look cool for some scenes, in others it is just a pain to have. Regular colors all appear very rich and vibrant when lit well. Careful with portraits and Ektar 100 due to reddish cast on Caucasian skin.  

• Like 1

One thing to keep in mind with Ektar 100 is that shadow and dark areas tend to appear with purple-blueish casts. This can look cool for some scenes, in others it is just a pain to have. Regular colors all appear very rich and vibrant when lit well. Careful with portraits and Ektar 100 due to reddish cast on Caucasian skin.

Thanks. I will get the scans from the lab next week. I am excited to see what I am going to get. This turned out to be test roll (I could not go for the trip) which is good since I have experimented with under and over exposing by one stop to see the difference. I will post when I get the scans.

• Like 1

I'm in a very similar situation, returned to film after a long time off, and have settled on Ektar for colour and Delta 100/400 for b&w. The results for both have been excellent...

Thanks for sharing your experience. Can you please elaborate on delta 100/400? So far I have not experimented with any faster BW film than 400 (I tried TriX, T-Max, HP5pkus and XP2Super, all shot at box speed and lab developed). I liked T-Max 400 but want to get better BW film for landscapes (or should I simply digitally convert Ektar to monochrome). This weekend I am also going to try Home developing BW film (starting with DDX and HP5plus film).

Your experience with delta 100/400 will be useful to me.

• 1 month later...

Now I have shot few rolls of Ektar and I like the results (lab produced, home scanned in Plustek 8200).

Two samples below (both using M2)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

and

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7