HP5+ better than Tri-X when using filters?

sblitz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

HP5+ is to me gives better separation in the shadows, tri-x does better in the highlights. If I am using orange or green filters to effectively create contrast from color rather than light/dark, it would seem to me that hp5+ is the better film to use .... question to all of you out there -- I am right, wrong, totally confused, or it doesn't make a difference?  Thanks in advance for the answers.  On more thing, if I shoot and develop tri-x at 250 am I going to get a slower version of hp5+?

• Like 1

Slower version of HP5+ is FP4+ 125 - my preferred choice for B&W, less grainy than HP5+ and better grey separation. FP4+ can be easily pushed to ISO 200, too. I prefer at ISO 400 and higher HP5+ over Tri-X, too. Not sure with color filters - I saw a YouTube video where someone reviewed in detail the FP4+ 125 film and mentioned that it is not effective to be used with orange filters due to the characteristic absorption band of the film. Not sure if the same applies to HP5+ though. 

• Like 1

Slower version of HP5+ is FP4+ 125 - my preferred choice for B&W, less grainy than HP5+ and better grey separation. FP4+ can be easily pushed to ISO 200, too. I prefer at ISO 400 and higher HP5+ over Tri-X, too. Not sure with color filters - I saw a YouTube video where someone reviewed in detail the FP4+ 125 film and mentioned that it is not effective to be used with orange filters due to the characteristic absorption band of the film. Not sure if the same applies to HP5+ though. 

Thanks ...... I went with T-Max 400 because it has more separation of the mid-tones than Tri-X. I Like FP4 but I needed the speed given an orange or green filters taking away 2 stops. I also used Eastman XX just to see (obviously had to standing still for those shots). 

Your point about the characteristic absorption band of FP4+ and orange filters goes to the point of my OP, namely has anyone done any work look at the various BW films and their base characteristics to see which are more responsive to different filters. I can't believe they are all the same, and would like to know -- or at least be pointed to a reference where I can go find out.

Perhaps this is just information that has slipped through the digital cracks.

• Like 1