Lens cap for 12549 Hood on an ELMOM 50/2,8 Elmar

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Does anyone know what the correct lens hood is when the small cylindrical 12549 hood is mounted on a 50/2.8 ELMOM Elmar. Is it the same A42 hood which fits the front of the Elmar when no hood is fitted? If that is the case, I do have some spare metal embossed Leica A42 caps. The 12549 hood is on the way from Vienna to me in south east France but seems to have gone the pretty way. The tracking currently shows it sitting since yesterday, in a very remote area of the mountains, in the middle of Corsica. All apparently due to the Tour de France  :angry:

Wilson

The hood is just an extension of the front of the lens, so the same lens cap should fit. I am not sure where I got the cap which I have on the hood which now sits on a 35mm Summaron. I have a lot of Leica lens caps and I don't really keep track on them. I just follow the old adage 'If the cap fits.... etc'.

William

• Like 1

The dedicated metal hood for Elmar 50/2.8 ELMOM (11612) is the ITOOY (12580). Its hood cap is the thin plastic reverse cap for ITOOY and IUFOO but the thick plastic reverse cap 14033 can fit as well.

12549 is the short silver metal hood dedicated to the silver Elmar-M 50/2.8 (11823). There is no specific hood cap for it AFAIK but the silver A42 metal lens cap 14321 (pics) should fit the same way as my black one (14285) IMHO.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by lct

On my black hood 12550 (for Elmar-M 50mm), I use one A42 cap (plastic or metal),

even clip-on E39 ref. 14038 stays put quite well.

Side note...

The new A42 (that came with Elmar-M 50mm) cap has changed inside from felt or velvet to something "slipping plastic" quite loose when the front lens is not milled

(some other 50mm or some 35mm).

Aside from clip-on lens caps like the regular black plastic 14038 referred to by a.noctilux above, there have been several A42 push-on caps in Leitz/Leica history. I list those i know of below but i don't own them all.

14003 (metal black paint)
14031 (metal silver)
14122 (metal black)
14143 (plastic black)
14285 (metal black)
14321 (metal silver)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I suspect that mine are a mixture of 14031 and 14321. It may be a moot point anyway, as Austrian post is saying that they accept my 12549 hood has been misdirected in France, i.e. stolen. It is apparently a well known dodge at the French sorting offices to quickly stick on another address label on the package and the usual destination is Corsica, where mine has gone. I am sure if it does not turn up, Leicashop will refund me but that was the only 12549 I had been able to find in Europe. Irritating!

Wilson

I have no experience with those thefts but there are a couple 12549 hoods available in Germany seemingly:

https://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/5769092_-elmar-m-f2-8-50mm-12549-leica-camera.html

Also at Adorama with shipping to France:

https://www.adorama.com/lclh5028ms.html

Many thanks for those. Strange that Google did not find them. Buying relatively low value items from the USA is just not economical with import duty (whether correct or not), processing charge, collection charge  and VAT on the whole lot including P&P charges from the USA. This can all more than double the cost. Strangely I have an account at Foto Mundus who were one of the sellers. 

Wilson

The dedicated metal hood for Elmar 50/2.8 ELMOM (11612) is the ITOOY (12580). Its hood cap is the thin plastic reverse cap for ITOOY and IUFOO but the thick plastic reverse cap 14033 can fit as well.

12549 is the short silver metal hood dedicated to the silver Elmar-M 50/2.8 (11823). There is no specific hood cap for it AFAIK but the silver A42 metal lens cap 14321 (pics) should fit the same way as my black one (14285) IMHO.

My 2 50mm f2.8 Elmars are both ELMOMs. The 12549 works perfectly with those lenses. The same cap (A 42) fits both the lenses and the hood. As I indicated on another thread, the 12549 fits a number of other lenses.

William

• Like 1

lct is right.

Just  an illustration with Elmar-M and 12549 hood + 14321 cap and ELMOM with ITOOY. 

Though I don't think the ITOOY ever had a dedicated cap. The cap for the IUFOO for 90 and 135mm fits - but only very loose.

Since the 1:2.8/5cm Elmar (ELMOM) is more prone to flare than the 1:3.5 Elmar or the Elmar-M, the  ITOOY will do the better job as a hood. The "Fison"-imitation 12549 is too small to be effective. 

• Like 2

[...] Though I don't think the ITOOY ever had a dedicated cap. [...]

Mine has one like this but i'm not sure how it was sold then.

• Like 1

I have both hoods and I prefer the 12549 on the ELMOM. As I said above, 'if the cap (or hood) fits....etc'. I rarely use a FISON (even though I have 4 or 5 of them) with the original f3.5 Elmar because of the difficulty in changing aperture. In truth the original Elmar rarely shows flare. If I really feel that flare is going to be an issue I use a VALOO which gets around this issue. I have not noticed flare being an issue when I use the 12549 with the ELMOM. Just as an aside I find that changing aperture on the 35mm Summaron with the IROOA is somewhat difficult whereas with the 12549, this is not an issue. The ITOOY also has some aperture changing issues for me.

There are no absolute rights and wrongs with this, just personal preferences.

William

It is the thin reverse cap for ITOOY and IUFOO AFAIK. I don't know what is its code number though.

There is another cap that fits over the lenshood when it is reversed, it has cutouts to clear the spring clips and just pushes on, it will fit over the lenshood when it is in the picture taking position but it is loose then as the black front of the lens hood has a smaller diameter than the chrome mounting end, not by much but by enough for it to fall off the black end.

I think that may be the same cap as the 12585 uses with the cut outs. I have a couple of those. I now suspect from the tracking on the 12549 from Vienna, there may have been a typing error on the post code of my address. We will see if La Poste manages to sort it out. 

Wilson

I found that my spare chrome metal A42 caps were both Canon ones. Jack the Hat in Cumbria UK sells Leica embossed versions of these at around £10 each, so I have ordered a couple. I had also run out of decent straps, so bought an Artist and Artisan black canvas strap with leather trim and split ring connectors from him. 

Wilson