Ode to a Legend - the Leica M4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Being an M4-P owner, I have to agree with Tom Grill's rhapsodizing of the M4.  With regard to film M cameras, I think the M4-P is the best of the best.  

I am hoping to acquire a chrome M4-P as a companion for my flat black chrome version; it's lonely at the top! 

Edited by Herr Barnack

Being an M4-P owner, I have to agree with Tom Grill's rhapsodizing of the M4.  With regard to film M cameras, I think the M4-P is the best of the best. 

I respectfully disagree. The M4-P regardless of being able to accept a motor drive, it also included a cloud of unnecessary viewfinder frames and has internal mechanics which can only be cast as clunky, not properly fitted. I have two MP4s pretty much close to the bin. I don't think they are worth repair, while my M2s, M4s are still fine. (It is too early to comment upon the M7s.)

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

Personally, I like something less serious and light, like classic moped. :) So, I run and gun with M4-2.

I had two black M4 ELC in my hands once. Both needed CLA at least. Both were in heavy use (with Leicameters) and then just stored for long time. Both were missing black ISO indicators. I walked away.

Funny what sears, and moulds, being a teenager, top floor of the bus, late 60s going down High St Kensington High street where the illuminated sign outside the camera shop was an M4, in lieu of hard to understand and elusive girls, this was the sexiest thing on the planet to my teen photographic mind. No Nikon F as my Dad used could compete. It was like seeing the M4 as Audrey Hepburn, against the Nikon’s more Jayne Mansfield's allure, but that was just an adolescent view. Of course which M is a personnel thing, I happen to agree that the rangefinder post M5 got overly cluttered, but thats me. I wish Leica would give me more choice on what frames I want. For me 35 50 90 was all I ever needed which is why I gravitate towards M2s. But that said , that black M4, and those pics of it in the article still do it for me, and put me back on that bus. Thank you.

I like both of mine equally. I enjoy having the 28 frame on the P and with a very arthritic right thumb, the wonderfully Heath Robinson/Rube Goldberg M4-2 winder is a real boon (clack-whirrrr-bang, as it writhes in your hands). The M4, I have owned from new on 1st of July 1967 (very early production number at 047), the M4-P is a more recent acquisition. I bought the M4-P as a wholly mechanical M, with a winder, which can be repaired indefinitely against my M7 with Motor-M, where I have concerns on how long spares for the electronic components will remain available, now it is no longer made. The M6TTL unavailable circuit boards are a warning. 

Wilson

PS I have just had the black MR-4 rebuilt by George Milton of Quality Light Metric with a new circuit board that has been damp-proofed, so that should see me out. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by wlaidlaw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I respectfully disagree. The M4-P regardless of being able to accept a motor drive, it also included a cloud of unnecessary viewfinder frames and has internal mechanics which can only be cast as clunky, not properly fitted. I have two MP4s pretty much close to the bin. I don't think they are worth repair, while my M2s, M4s are still fine. (It is too early to comment upon the M7s.)

Interesting.  First complaint I have heard along those lines.  I wonder if this is the result of beefing up some of the parts to make them stronger for the motor drive or for full contact photojournalism?

I've always been content with my copy, which operates very smoothly.  Perhaps that is the result of Sherry Krauter's magic touch when it was overhauled.

Part of the reason I'm sold on the M4-P is likely due to the fact that it kept on running smoothly in Mongolia when my MP (2003 birth date) crapped out.  A screw backed out somewhere in the MP and the film advance locked up.  Couldn't advance or rewind the film, but my trusty M4-P saved the day.

• Like 1

Maybe slightly OT but since the author of the article brought it up - anyone know what it would cost to 'upgrade' the finder in an M4 to the M6 finder with six framelines?  I just purchased a 75mm Summarit 2.4 and have been thinking about purchasing an M4 lately as a backup for my M-A, so I'd definitely want to add the 75mm frameline.

Maybe slightly OT but since the author of the article brought it up - anyone know what it would cost to 'upgrade' the finder in an M4 to the M6 finder with six framelines?  I just purchased a 75mm Summarit 2.4 and have been thinking about purchasing an M4 lately as a backup for my M-A, so I'd definitely want to add the 75mm frameline.

Sherry Krauter installed an MP finder in my M4-P several years back when I had it CLAed.  If memory serves, the cost was $600 for everything.  You will want to check with her for a current price, though as it has been a while since she did mine.  Her website is http://www.sherrykrauter.com/

• Like 1

Interesting.  First complaint I have heard along those lines.  I wonder if this is the result of beefing up some of the parts to make them stronger for the motor drive or for full contact photojournalism?

Good question. I have an M2 with Abrahamsson RapidWinder IXMOO and it is fine, although I don't think the M2 was engineered to be driven that way. Not sure.

Edited by pico

Sherry Krauter installed an MP finder in my M4-P several years back when I had it CLAed.  If memory serves, the cost was $600 for everything.  You will want to check with her for a current price, though as it has been a while since she did mine.  Her website is http://www.sherrykrauter.com/

Thanks for the info, I'll contact her.

M4-P's are now so cheap, you might well find it is more economical to get an M4P than to get the RF of your M4 altered. I bought the M4-P pictured above with M4-2 winder, MR-4 meter and Thin 90 Tele-Elmarit from eBay France, all for €800. 

Wilson