18mm Super-Elmar-M will not mount on my M7

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I wanted to use my 18mm Super Elmar M today on my M7. I have never actually done this before as I have always stuck to the 28/35/50/90 lenses with my M7. The Super Elmar will not mount on the M7 and comes to a very hard stop about 10º off the mounted position. The Super Elmar mounts on all my other M's both film and digital (M4, M4-P, M8, M9 and M240), with no problems. I have had no issues mounting most other lenses (Summilux 50 V.IIISE on an LTM to M 50/75 ring, 35 ASPH Summicron and Summilux, 28 ASPH Summicron, 90 Elmarit-M etc). The only other lens which will not mount is my 25mm ZM Biogon, which again comes to this very hard metal to metal stop at 10º off vertical. 

Any thoughts folks? 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw

I have got it on. I spent ages comparing the bayonet and frame line cam, using digital calipers with other lenses and could find no difference at all. I was fiddling and applied a little more pressure than normally needed to mount and suddenly it clicked into place. It now clicks into place with normal pressure. I assume there must have been a tiny machining burr that was stopping it mounting in the M7. I know the M7 mount is tight compared with my other M's. I have given the lens mount a good clean and blown out the film chamber on the M7, in case a tiny sliver of metal had come off. 

Wilson

• Like 2