Summicron 50mm collapsible loose cap

You could replace the soft lining inside the lens cap, it can be a bit fiddly and you ideally need some thin self adhesive material. I have tried various materials and it is too easy to use too much glue or too thick a material, such as felt. I was given some self adhesive material used by a high end hifi turntable manufacturer which is ideal.

Usually the original metal lens caps have a red or black velvet layer on the inside. Then your cap should be rather tight. If it has the velvet inner side and is still too loose it may have the wrong size (perhaps 41mm for the old 50 mm Summarit and not 39mm you need for the Summicron).

A solution should be one you can undo because it is not your lens.

Try placing a narrow strip of masking tape around the very front ring of the lens. If that's too tight, try a shorter piece of tape. Continue until you have a firm but compliant fit.

I just went through my big box of rubber bands and did not find one small enough to fit in the groove of the front ring, but you might find one. Maybe Jaapv can tell us if an orthodontic band would work.

Orthodontic band. Wow, makes me wish I were a musician.

Oh, that sounds like a good plan to try and can be easily undone! Thanks for all your help.

I do not know where you live, but if there is an Ace Hardware nearby bring the lens and go to the O-Ring bins which are usually in the plumbing section. You can even try them on. Ace people here love to find the right solutions.

Best of luck!