Option one or option two - help me decide on which S

geetee1972

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you haven't committed to any purchase yet, try the Fuji GFX50S with the Fujinon 110 F2 lens. Works very well for portraits, mainly because of the joystick-selectable focus points and the Face recognition / auto eye focus feature. Your only serious limitation will be the absence of CS lenses - relevant if you wish to shoot strobe-lit portraits outside. And before anybody says I am trolling, I own and regularly use both systems, including the S007 with 7 S/CS lenses. As for the S3 or whatever it will be called, the rumors at the moment indicate the same body as 007, housing a 64MP sensor. Whatever it ends up being, it will probably be very expensive and not bring any meaningful improvements in AF speed / usability. If you go for the 007 and wish to shoot portraits mainly, I suggest you consider the 120 Apo Macro which should be possible to buy second hand (unlike the fantastic and for portraits perhaps even better Summicron S100).

If you haven't committed to any purchase yet, try the Fuji GFX50S with the Fujinon 110 F2 lens. Works very well for portraits, mainly because of the joystick-selectable focus points and the Face recognition / auto eye focus feature. Your only serious limitation will be the absence of CS lenses - relevant if you wish to shoot strobe-lit portraits outside. And before anybody says I am trolling, I own and regularly use both systems, including the S007 with 7 S/CS lenses. As for the S3 or whatever it will be called, the rumors at the moment indicate the same body as 007, housing a 64MP sensor. Whatever it ends up being, it will probably be very expensive and not bring any meaningful improvements in AF speed / usability. If you go for the 007 and wish to shoot portraits mainly, I suggest you consider the 120 Apo Macro which should be possible to buy second hand (unlike the fantastic and for portraits perhaps even better Summicron S100).

Leica Miami currently has a second hand 100mm. 

Ok, already, so let’s hear about this great deal on an 007. :)

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/286694-its-been-real-but-farewell/page-1?do=findComment&comment=3557757

Jeff

Well the camera was reduced to £9k before I even talked to them about it and they gave me full credit on the 50SL I'd bought from them a few months ago as well as a bunch of other bits and bobs I'd bought from them. Basiccally they gave me another £2000 in total as a trade in that i would not have got from anywhere else (because they know me and they know the kit I was trading in). So I got an S (007) for £7250 brand new and a second hand 70 Summarit for £1500.

Edited by geetee1972
  • Like 2

...So I got an S (007) for £7250 brand new and a second hand 70 Summarit for £1500.

Congratulations - I am having a hard time seeing a way that you will be disappointed with this kit! 

I have never shot with an S-007, but still it seems like it would be near impossible for this choice to go sideways on you.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Congratulations - I am having a hard time seeing a way that you will be disappointed with this kit!

I have never shot with an S-007, but still it seems like it would be near impossible for this choice to go sideways on you.

Well, hoping of course that it stays in his hands and not off to Wetzlar, as some others have experienced. That’s a big part of the reason behind dealer willingness to bargain. IQ has not been the issue.

Jeff

Not surprised.... dealers I know have been willing to privately negotiate all kinds of deals on the S, including the 007, if they still even carry the line.

How many years warranty did you get?

Jeff

However many it came with, it was a brand new unit.

Well, hoping of course that it stays in his hands and not off to Wetzlar, as some others have experienced. That’s a big part of the reason behind dealer willingness to bargain. IQ has not been the issue.

Here is hoping.

However many it came with, it was a brand new unit.

It’s another piece that certain dealers have been known to negotiate into the transaction, particularly after Leica started charging extra for additional years (Protection Plan) that had been included in the sales price (presumably done as a basis to help lower the body price at the time). Lenses have their own warranty terms. With the S system, warranty terms are more than an afterthought IMO.... although personal insurance can offset shortfalls.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

I have bought most of my S kit pre-owned, Leica have fixed things (several AF motors, S2-P sensor, zoom aperture) out of warranty free of charge.....

john

Ditto. I have done much business with Josh at Leica Miami who has provided stellar service after the sale even on items I did not buy from him, like a 35mm Surrmarit I bought on Ebay which required a motor replacement. I sent it to Josh and had it back in my hands within two weeks. It is good to have someone on the inside.

David

• Like 1

Ditto. I have done much business with Josh at Leica Miami who has provided stellar service after the sale even on items I did not buy from him, like a 35mm Surrmarit I bought on Ebay which required a motor replacement. I sent it to Josh and had it back in my hands within two weeks. It is good to have someone on the inside.

David

Leica Miami are the best guys to work with. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have owned the S006 and 007 side by side for some months and while the S006 is a great camera for me I cant see much if any disadvantage in S007 color. I can feel though slightly faster response, AF of the S007 as well as better dynamic range and of course more room to handheld and stop down if necessary.

In regards of SL vs S....I find the SL with 50 or 75 primes to deliver exceptional IQ but the S got that look....

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The S typ 007 experience is hard to duplicate. If you like to create large prints, you'll appreciate the IQ of the 007.  Slower than the SL or other 35mm DSL's but the sharpness and OOF fall off are simply beautiful to due the incredible lenses and larger sensors. I shoot both the D850 and the SL too, and find myself reaching for the typ 007 exclusively for subjects which aren't moving too fast or erratically.

• Like 5