Moving from Nikon D750 to Leica .. Advice

wosamko

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Out of curiosity, what is the Leica photographic philosophy?

Leica assumes it's users are very knowledgeable about photography and therefore understand and accept the following concepts:

1. Advantages of manual vs AF and how that impacts handling, IQ, and lens sizes

2. Less (features) is more

3. Highest quality lenses are the most important part of the chain towards achieving the best IQ

4. Care enough about 1, 2, and 3 to accept all that costs a lot of money

I mean I see a cynical looks and laughing whispering that I am different colour should ride camel not even carrying an iPhone or Nikon. I tested the places. I go simple and it is OK. If I use my Nikon then I see disgusting faces. With Leica it will not happen. In the palm of the hand and looks antique...

Sorry to have to say this but happiness has more to do with the thickness of your skin than the color of your skin. Let me explain. Despite the fact we live in an interconnected global society, most of us are still hard wired tribal members. In other words, anyone who does not look, talk or dress like us, our families or closest friends is naturally suspect and probably an enemy. We are all like this to some degree unless we deliberately take measures to overcome our natural instinct.

In my own case, I chose to live in places where I would be a minority. And I'm often hated for the color of my skin. I've been "another damn anglo" or a "fu..ing haolie" and lately "you ole fakher."  This is a mind and heart opening experience for a white person. How could anyone hate me without ever taking the time to get to know me? Happens all the time. You can respond with your own hatred or simply realize that distrust of anyone outside your "tribe" is a natural instinct. And the way to overcome this instinctive prejudice is to simply engage in conversation - like we are now having - and try to see the other person's experiences as well as get to know them as a unique human being.

We were so close to moving down the path towards accepting and understanding each other before a new wave of politically motivated racism swept the world. Hopefully the wave will break soon and we will all discover we have more to offer each other with our unique differences than the safety of sameness has given. If we do not overcome this divisive hatred, I'm afraid we will soon be reduced down to a few isolated tribes once again.

You are right about one thing though, I'd be more apt to sit down with you over coffee or a drink and talk about anything and everything having seen your Leica. But that is only because you've joined my tribe. We would have something in common, a reason to engage. Same would be true if you sailed. Camels... well no. I hate those beasts. They stand on your feet and spit in your face. Nasty beasts.

• Like 1

I think you sound a little paranoid quite frankly. All sorts of people have been stopped and questioned as to why they're taking photos in public.

It was so common in the UK that a movement started to make the police and security staff aware that 'photographers aren't terrorists'.

As for the Q, files should be corrected in camera for distortion but it is a wide angle lens and will show some 'distortion' at the edges. Files that haven't been corrected will show massive distortion but that's how the lens was designed.

However, as you don't want manual focus (M), don't like the Q or CL then really you need to consider other makes.

My advice is to stick with what you have and be less worried about what you imagine others are thinking about you!

Just a question: Are you wearing traditional Qatar clothes? I would have a second look if I saw somebody dressed in a long white Arabic dress taking photographs with a huge Nikon. And never notice the colour of your face. I would probably strike up a conversation too.

So Wosamko, let me try to give my perspective on your question. I once said to a bloke, all cars are emotional purchases. He said don't be ridiculous the car I bought was down to measuring every tech spec against all rivals and making a rational choice. What did you buy I asked?, He replied a Citroen CX! its a car joke. But the same applies to cameras, at this level all cameras are an emotional not a technical purchase. Their performance differences are not great, and are down to which you feel best fits your vision and the way you work. If its landscapes and loads of Lee grads then an M might not be as easy as a Nikon, (that can be debated I know ). Maybe one should see it as a choice between a Fender Stratocaster, or Telecaster, or Rickenbacker or a Gibson Les Paul . They are all equal, and you choose which expresses you best. Musical instruments are a good analogy as they are tools, and like a camera they help you create. Likewise when it comes to Sax (get that vowel right ) my choice is a Selmer Mk6 tenor over any other sax (its the M3 of Saxes!) but I note which ever Sax I pick up it reflects my style of -pretty feeble Ben Webster I ain't- playing. Likewise I am fortunate and have a choice of cameras, and they reflect my pretty feeble -Ansel Bresson I ain’t- style of photography regardless of the camera I use. That said when it comes to Nikon, Sony, Canon Leica all cameras are equal but some are more Zen than others . A Leica M is very Zen. I think the advice others have given you, has been spot on, oh and the Q is just superb, maybe the best digital camera Leica has yet made, but that is to open a can of what is best worms. If you think that photography happens in the eye, and the hand merely manipulates the recording tool then the M is hard to surpass which is why its is till going strong 52 years later. ……….. but if you like your Nikon and why not, and were thinking about spending Leica levels of money why wouldn’t you be seriously contemplating the Nikon 850. At this level its nothing to do with the tech, but what suits your way of seeing and working.

"I mean I see a cynical looks and laughing whispering that I am different colour should ride camel not even carrying an iPhone or Nikon."

I am truly sorry you feel this, but I think 99+% of Brits would not give you a second glance, and any photographers you come accross would chat to you. The tourist 'hot spots' of the UK are visited and crowded by many nationalities, predominantly Chinese at the moment, and all are welcome and get on fine. And many are carrying large SLR's with big zoom lenses, and the rest have i-phones on selfie sticks.

"I mean I see a cynical looks and laughing whispering that I am different colour should ride camel not even carrying an iPhone or Nikon. I tested the places. I go simple and it is OK. If I use my Nikon then I see disgusting faces. With Leica it will not happen. In the palm of the hand and looks antique."

A DSLR is the commonest choice amongst amateurs when using a camera as opposed to a phone. A Leica or film camera is more likely to attract attention due to its relatively unusual appearance. In addition, the average person is unlikely to differentiate between an entry level Nikon and a pro model. As someone pointed out above, racists are unlikely to focus on your choice of camera. 

Dear all,

Thank you very much for your kind messages and deep information BUT you forgot something important. It is the pain in the neck from the weight of Nikon DSLR and its lenses. Also, the small size of Leica M10 and Leica Q.

What is the best solution for manual focus for M10. What if I connect it to autofocus lens, will that override M10 manual focus to AF? 

What if I shoot images in RAW, will that helps alot in fixing lens distortions in Leica Q?

Please watch this video and please tell me is the lens has a relation to the colors?! I am surprised about Leica 90MM

by the way, I wear like UK clothes :) 

Kindest Wishes,

Wosam

Knowing that a good photo is right in front of you before raising your M camera to your eye... as opposed to zooming around with your semi-mobile photo computer to find an acceptable composition.

Leave the letter M out of that and it doesn't sound so pretentious. You could do that with any camera make. And it doesn't have to be mechanical.

Its only a tool for goodness sake, and like tools for any trade the user can appreciate and prefer its characteristics.

In the case of a mechanical M and the M lenses the workmanship is obvious, and the design 'genius'. But 'other (satisfying) cameras are available'

Gerry

• Like 1