Leica M10 Firmware 2.4.5.0 CORRUPTION!

pck1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just downloaded the 2.4.5.0 firmware to my Leica M10. Big problems.

Now, every time I turn the camera on the startup screen comes on like its a new camera and asks me to select my language, time zone, date, time, etc. 

If I turn the camera off and turn it on again, this comes up, again and again and again.

I tried re-setting camera to factory settings. Didn't fix the issue. Also tried to re-load the firmware update but the camera doesn't allow this.

Clearly something corrupt in the new firmware update. 

Any ideas for troubleshooting/solving this before I contact Leica support?

Edited by pck1

This is the process. Corruption hasn’t previously been reported.

Insert the SD card into the camera and switch the camera on.

4. Go to Main Menu / Camera Information / Camera Firmware

5. Press “Yes” to confirm and start the process;

a. You should save your current profiles to the SD card before proceeding with the update.

b. Wait until the update installation is completed.

c. Restart the camera, do not eject the SD card.

d. Please load your last saved profiles from the SD card after the first startup.

Is that how you have completed your update.?

What happens if you supply the information asked for?

• Like 1

Is that how you have completed your update.?

What happens if you supply the information asked for?

Thank you for your reply. Yes, this is exactly how I completed my update. 

If I supply the information asked for the camera functions fine it takes photos and saves them to the SD card. When I turn the camera off and then turn it back on the startup menu comes back and if I fill out the details again (language, date, etc.) then the camera functions fine and I can access the photos already saved on the SD. But the problem of the menu persists each time the camera is turned off and then on again.

Also, I just discovered that if I try to load my user profiles or create new profiles now it will not save them and each time the camera is turned off these are deleted.

Edited by pck1
  • Like 1

I think that the camera has a second internal battery to support the settings data embedded by firmware. If that internal battery has no charge, the camera would malfunction in the way you describe.

I’m not 100% sure about how that battery functions. It may be faulty, or maybe it hasn’t charged.

Perhaps another member could help us out on this.

Edited by lucerne
  • Like 1

I think that the camera has a second internal battery to support the settings data embedded by firmware. If that internal battery has no charge, the camera would malfunction in the way you describe.

True.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No new ideas forthcoming?

I suggest you put a fully charged battery in your M10.

Switch on and don’t bother inputting personal data. Don’t take photos.

Leave the camera ON for a few hours to see if the internal battery gets charged.

Later, Test it by filling in the personal data. Does it retain the data.

Let us know.

I see that similar advice has appeared as I was submitting my post. We both agree on the procedure.

Edited by lucerne

My suggestion:

Let the M10 "on" over night or some hours.

Set the auto off on "off", then let the camera "on" to try to charge the secondary battery.

Tried this overnight. Battery was 100% full and died. Unfortunately, this did not resolve the startup menu issue.

Try removing the firmware from the card.

The firmware was auto-deleted from the card after installation and is no longer on the SD card. Have also tried inputting new blank SD cards...same problem persists.

• Like 1

Tried this overnight. Battery was 100% full and died. Unfortunately, this did not resolve the startup menu issue.

The firmware was auto-deleted from the card after installation and is no longer on the SD card. Have also tried inputting new blank SD cards...same problem persists.

I think you should call your local leica dealer and arrange for the camera to be returned for examination. I don’t think there is much more that a user can do regarding this type of fault.

I agree that a trip back to Leica is probably in order, but as to the settings backup battery, according to the manual (p131 of the English one)  all that is needed is for the fully charged camera battery to be installed; the camera does not need to be turned on for the internal battery to be charged.  According to the manual, it will take 1 to 2 days to recharge the internal battery and the internal battery charge should last about 2 months.

Edited by RonM
  • Like 1

I've contacted Leica and they are requesting the camera be sent back for evaluation and that it is likely the "circuit board mounted battery source" which is used for holding memory that is not functioning properly. Very very odd, however, that this issue only presented itself after the installation of the new firmware. My suspicion remains that there is a firmware bug that has created this issue.

I am required to be in Central Asia for a photo-shoot in exactly 1 months time. What do you think the odds are that I will have my camera back by then?

Edited by pck1
  • Like 1