Any new chrome lenses in the near future?

kidigital

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I know there are a few other chrome fans out there. Does anyone have an idea as to how well chrome M8s have sold. If the M8 has spurred any kind of revival in chrome M lens sales, I wonder if Leica has thought about adding a chrome option for any of the lenses in its current line-up. Given the choice, which current lens in the Leica M line-up (without a chrome variation) would you like to see offered in chrome?

I know that I'd snatch up a 28 cron in chrome in a heartbeat. A chrome WATE would also be very interesting.

Kurt

They are significantly heavier, so that dampens enthusiasm, probably. I suppose by now my white-jeans-with-white-t-shirt comment wrt. chrome lenses on chrome cameras has made it into infamy, but I mainly feel that way about modern-looking lenses like the 50 Lux Asph or 90 Apo Cron. The more classic-looking lenses like the 28 Cron or 35 Lux Asph or 35 Cron Asph look great in chrome, as well as real classics, of course. I have decided to swap my black 35 Cron Asph out for a chrome 35 Lux Asph, and although the chrome version weighs more than 50% more than the black version (35 Lux: 250g black vs. 415g chrome), I am really looking forward to it (selling my perfect black 35 Cron Asph with original packaging for best bid above €1300 or first €1400; ad coming in B&S as soon as I have tested the two against each other).

I have bought a summicron 35 asph chrome for my chrome M8... a thing of beauty... but it is MUCH heavier than the black version, something to do with the different material used.

And I am using an old elmarit 90 chrome with my black M8... oooh!:cool:

I would love to see other lenses in chrome but the weight is really an issue.:(

I'm with Kurt on this, and Carsten can choke quietly on his past comments,:D (which were directed at me at the time....ROTFLMAO). There is nothing co-ordinated about chrome on chrome, it's more the feel of the chrome that does it for me. Black looks as well as chrome on a chrome body, it's just a matter of personal preference as to the look. But in general the chrome lenses feel more solid to the touch, aperture indents feel slightly more positive and easy to count and focus seems lighter, smoother and slightly better dampened.

Enjoy your testing Carsten, I think you'll become a convert. :p

If someone have the nice idea to put together a "chrome fan club", I'm definitely in ! I had to wait 40 or 50 days to have a M8 chrome at my dealer (who had two blacks in stock, and kindly asked me "are you sure... ? chrome...?) and my only coded lens is at the moment an Elmarit 21 Asph - CHROME - I enjoy a lot my very old excellent TE 90 2,8 - CHROME - but think that a 75 would be fine...I'm delighted that CV 75 is available in CHROME...

BTW (OT)... is there some face to face confrontation between CV 75 and the Cron 75 ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Kurt,

You know I'm a chrome fan myself. I have the 35 Cron ASPH, 50 Cron and 90 Elmarit all in silver chrome. Currenlty they are on a black body (gasp!). The 90 chrome was amazing on my recent trip. I don't think I ever missed focus once on it.

I like the solid feel to the chrome lenses. They do weight a ton, though. I also think the finish holds up better than the black.

My vote is for a chrome 28 Elmarit-ASPH. How heavy could that one possibly be?!

David

I have a 50 Lux ASPH in Chrome, found an new 24mm Chrome at my dealer and will recieve next week my 90mm Macro Elmarit in Chrome :-)

May be a 75mm and a 16mm in Chrome would be nice too...

I love the classic look of chrome lenses and wish Leica would offer their entire lineup in that finish. My 35 Lux ASPH, 50 Lux ASPH, and 90 Elmarit are all in chrome. I rationalize the extra weight as still being _way_ less than any DSLR system! Probably the only lens I'd deliberately avoid chrome on is the Noctilux - that's already pretty heavy.

My current M8 body is in chrome. My next (2nd) body will be in black (just to distinguish them). I know a lot of folks don't like chrome lenses on black bodies, but even that works for me.

Long live chrome!

Jeff

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the reason that the chrome lenses weigh more. It's not like the chrome finish itself is heavier than the black finish. The reason for the extra weight is that the chrome finish models are made of brass rather than of aluminum. The brass is also the reason for a somewhat better mechanical feel and smoothness, not to mention better durablility. Of course the brass is required to get the chrome plating to adhere, aluminum cannot be plated. Altogether, brass/chrome lenses are mechanically better than their aluminum/black anodized brethren. But you do pay for all this in the weight department.

Rex

The reason for the extra weight is that the chrome finish models are made of brass rather than of aluminum. The brass is also the reason for a somewhat better mechanical feel and smoothness, not to mention better durablility. Of course the brass is required to get the chrome plating to adhere, aluminum cannot be plated. Altogether, brass/chrome lenses are mechanically better than their aluminum/black anodized brethren. But you do pay for all this in the weight department.

Even if it is right, that brass is heavier than aluminium, I don't see any reason why it should have better characteristics, at least when it comes to optical qualities. The only thing that is probably better is that chrome on brass gives a harder surface than just aluminium, even if good aluminium is really hard too.

To be honest, I bought my M8 in silber mainly because of it's classy look. For me, a Leica M just have to be in silver. Maybe because my father had an M3. For me it makes a real distinction to other cameras.

The only thing that is probably better is that chrome on brass gives a harder surface than just aluminium, even if good aluminium is really hard too.

It's been said in the forums that chrome wears better over time--"brassing"--in a warm kind of way that shows use but doesn't give the impression of "used." I personally *like* the weight of the brass. (I'm in the minority.) There's something about the M8 being so very solid and weighty that I find desirable--makes it real in a way I appreciate. Hard to quantify.

I can say that I'd like more of Leica's offerings to be in chrome--when I go to pick up a 28 2.8 I will want it in chrome. :)

I didn't know Leica made a chrome 35 Summilux Chrome?

They are significantly heavier, so that dampens enthusiasm, probably. I suppose by now my white-jeans-with-white-t-shirt comment wrt. chrome lenses on chrome cameras has made it into infamy, but I mainly feel that way about modern-looking lenses like the 50 Lux Asph or 90 Apo Cron. The more classic-looking lenses like the 28 Cron or 35 Lux Asph or 35 Cron Asph look great in chrome, as well as real classics, of course. I have decided to swap my black 35 Cron Asph out for a chrome 35 Lux Asph, and although the chrome version weighs more than 50% more than the black version (35 Lux: 250g black vs. 415g chrome), I am really looking forward to it (selling my perfect black 35 Cron Asph with original packaging for best bid above ˆ1300 or first ˆ1400; ad coming in B&S as soon as I have tested the two against each other).

… selling my perfect black 35 Cron Asph with original packaging for best bid above €1300 or first €1400; ad coming in B&S as soon as I have tested the two against each other.

Hi Carsten, what is the weight of your "perfect black 35 Cron Asph"?

I'm a chrome fun.

I simply would like to have the choice between Chrome/Black for all lenses. Considering that Leica produces two bodies, I think the choice for all the lenses should be available.

When you buy a Rolls-Royce you can chose many things (without additional price) to fit your personal taste. I always heard that Leica is for the cameras what Rolls-Royce is for the automobile... so, come on!

:D

I didn't know Leica made a chrome 35 Summilux Chrome?

Scott, they don't make it any more.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/classifieds/showproduct.php/product/100/cat/4

Holger, the lens weighs 255g accoridng to Leica's PDF. The chrome version weighs 340g. Hmm, it sounds like the specs for the 35 Lux Asph may be incorrect, at 250g/415g... Maybe it is meant to be 350g/415g.

Even if it is right, that brass is heavier than aluminium, I don't see any reason why it should have better characteristics, at least when it comes to optical qualities. The only thing that is probably better is that chrome on brass gives a harder surface than just aluminium, even if good aluminium is really hard too

The problem with aluminum is it has a tendency to gall. Brass, on the other hand, will lap itself in with use. Brass threads, of any sort are inherently smooth in operation. Back in the old days only the Russians would consider using aluminum for lens bodies. It wasn't until the mid 1950's that the aluminum alloys were improved to the point that some of the major players(Nikon and Canon for example) started using it. These new, lighter lenses had to be black anodized rather than chrome plated, thus, I believe, ushering in the era of black lenses with black cameras.

I prefer the weight of brass too:) Only when carrying a whole lot of lenses does it really matter. Although I do have a Nikon 80mm/f2 that is a bit of a monster in brass/chrome. Does anyone have a alum/black one for sale or trade?

Rex

I like the look of the chrome lenses but so far have all my lenses in black (besides one older lens). Weight was the main reason.

I like hiking and mountaineering so weight is an issue.

However I might get some of my lenses in Chrome if I had to do it again.

Regarding mechnical resistance, I believe that the surface of chrome lenses might be more surable. But I have not heard of mechanicel propblems caused my wear in of Aluminum lenses. So I am not really sure if the brass is a advantage in real life, or if this is only a theoretical advantage. (Like the brass lens last 300 years and the aluminum 200?)

Would be definatly nice to have the option for all lenses.

I also got my M8 in black , but have to admit that I would take chrome if I had to do it again. Just because I like the look.

Cheers, Tom