What do I dislike on the CL ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As I've mentioned in other threads, THE ONLY thing I dislike about the CL is the sensitivity when switching automatically between the EVF and LCD. The least bit of dirt on the EVF makes the feature malfunction, and the part of the EVF which controls the function is so small I find it extremely difficult to clean. Apart from that it's a superb camera.

Haven't had any problem with the EVF switching thus far, must be something I'm not doing causing you the problem. Hmm. 

Anyway, one minor annoyance I have come to is that focus assist magnification is very easy to use by assigning it to the right wheel however focus peaking takes going to a menu to enable or disable it. There are times (such as brightly lit, sunny days) when I have AutoISO engaged and don't need manual control of ISO, but when I need to toggle peaking on and off with a one button press because the LCD/EVF are being blown out of my ability to see clearly in competition with the sun. It would be nice to be able to set the peaking color but have a separate, assignable function so I could toggle it on and off with the right wheel's button instead of going to ISO setting directly (I could assign that the FN button's menu and get to ISO from there quickly enough when needed). 

I could do this with the SL by quickly pressing the lower right button and limiting the number of display settings, but there's no similar functionality on the CL. 

Edited by ramarren

Haven't had any problem with the EVF switching thus far, must be something I'm not doing causing you the problem. Hmm. 

Anyway, one minor annoyance I have come to is that focus assist magnification is very easy to use by assigning it to the right wheel however focus peaking takes going to a menu to enable or disable it. There are times (such as brightly lit, sunny days) when I have AutoISO engaged and don't need manual control of ISO, but when I need to toggle peaking on and off with a one button press because the LCD/EVF are being blown out of my ability to see clearly in competition with the sun. It would be nice to be able to set the peaking color but have a separate, assignable function so I could toggle it on and off with the right wheel's button instead of going to ISO setting directly (I could assign that the FN button's menu and get to ISO from there quickly enough when needed). 

I could do this with the SL by quickly pressing the lower right button and limiting the number of display settings, but there's no similar functionality on the CL. 

What I have said all along. The CL needs another one if not two extra programmable buttons. I suppose we are a bit spoilt with the SL, with more programmable buttons than you can shake a stick at. 

Wilson

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, it doesn't really need another button far as I'm concerned. Just the option to program the right button to toggle peaking on and off instead of ISO ... I don't need direct control of ISO when I'm in the conditions that I want to blink peaking on and off, so that would be sufficient for me. :D

Personally, I prefer fewer buttons like this, focused on the specific needs when shooting, more than an array of different buttons that I don't use very often. It's easier to remember what's what this way.

• Like 2

If only Leica had continued with the so wonderfully simple yet effective X-Vario settings method based round with a traditional shutter speed we would not be having nearly as many of these current CL settings conversations or concerns. But Leica instead tried reinventing the wheel (Pardon the pun!).

Maybe they might take note one day before a CL2 comes along and meanwhile I can but hope for some sort of future firmware so as to at least improve matters BUT if only they had followed X-Vario (or even better still Leica Q) practice they could have had a World beater with the otherwise quite superb little CL.

• Like 1

I am missing

• IBIS
  • a "back/AF-ON" button just like the Q has it
  • long time exposure settings beyond 30s (if possible with the option of switching off LENR, but I don't think this will ever happen)

It does have that option AFAIK

Really? Where? If you mean "put Focus Assist" on the bR assignments, well, that's half way ... It means 'tap on button, tap tap' (or turn the wheel a notch or two minimum) through menu to turn peaking on, and 'tap on button, tap tap' (or turn the wheel a notch or two minimum) to turn it off. Not what I'd prefer. 

I'd like to set a peaking color in one command, and toggle peaking off and on with another. That way I could assign the toggle to the bR and the operation becomes 'tap' for on, then 'tap' for off again. That's a MUCH more fluid use of focus peaking as an aid to manual focusing. :)

Edited by ramarren

If only Leica had continued with the so wonderfully simple yet effective X-Vario settings method based round with a traditional shutter speed we would not be having nearly as many of these current CL settings conversations or concerns. But Leica instead tried reinventing the wheel (Pardon the pun!).

Maybe they might take note one day before a CL2 comes along and meanwhile I can but hope for some sort of future firmware so as to at least improve matters BUT if only they had followed X-Vario (or even better still Leica Q) practice they could have had a World beater with the otherwise quite superb little CL.

Different opinion for me ... I don't miss having a discrete shutter dial at all. After all, it's there on the left wheel whenever I'm in Manual exposure mode and is replaced by EV Compensation when I'm in Aperture priority AE mode.

In fact, on my M-D typ 262, the shutter speed dial is the largest wheel on the top of the camera and it would be far better if, when I wanted to use Auto (aperture priority AE), it would switch to being the EV compensation control because the thumb wheel is so awkward to get to when you also have to hold down the button to make it work. 

I have no experience with the Q or X-Vario; they just weren't that interesting to me. The X2 and X113 were great little cameras but had some interesting annoyances with the organization of the controls. The CL controls are just right, IMO, with just one or two little glitches like this. Personal preferences of course! 

• Like 1

No, they are not These are little foam balls on plastic sticks used for the application of bonding agent, eye shadow, etc. Interdental brushes will damage you ocular glass.

• Like 1

Really? Where? If you mean "put Focus Assist" on the bR assignments, well, that's half way ... It means 'tap on button, tap tap' (or turn the wheel a notch or two minimum) through menu to turn peaking on, and 'tap on button, tap tap' (or turn the wheel a notch or two minimum) to turn it off. Not what I'd prefer. 

I'd like to set a peaking color in one command, and toggle peaking off and on with another. That way I could assign the toggle to the bR and the operation becomes 'tap' for on, then 'tap' for off again. That's a MUCH more fluid use of focus peaking as an aid to manual focusing. :)

You can set the peaking as active menu choice instead of ISO

• 3 weeks later...

Three things:

1  The wandering focus point

2. There is no early warning of a near-empty battery, it simply dies unexpectedly.

3. The handgrip has no quick-release or easy access to the battery flap.

That makes it a pretty good camera for me. :)

I would love to see an AE lock function

I would love to see an AE lock function

Half press on the shutter release does that. If you need it decoupled from focusing, the only option right now is to use Manual Focus with native lenses, or press to lock AE and then just turn the focusing ring to trim focus for your subject.

Of course, decoupling focus is not an issue with adapted M and R lenses since they're always manual focus.

• Like 2

I am missing

[*]long time exposure settings beyond 30s (if possible with the option of switching off LENR, but I don't think this will ever happen)

When I visited Leica in NJ last week and mentioned my frustration about this I was told that it “might” be addressed in a future update.

This was not taken by me to be a “nod, nod, wink wink” statement, it was more or less “well, get used to it and maybe one day it will be better”

• Like 1