What do I dislike on the CL ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had 2 only happen once but it is definitely annoying.  

1 and 3 are not an issue for me.

And re-centering the focus point by double-ticking the screen works perfectly for me. 

Which only works when the screen is on - which will dislodge the focus point even more easily.

I am definitely not on the waiting list for a CL-D... 

What would be your solution then?  Yet another function button a la Fuji and Sony?

I already don't need the function button that is there currently and unfortunately I cannot turn it off either.  Leica requires you to set it to something... 

If, after each shot, or after each turning the camera off, the focus area could automatically go to the center, it would be a great help, at least for me. 

I am radically against having the focus point automatically go back to the center after each shot.  That would be pure madness IMO.

Having a menu option to do that each time you turn on the camera or each time the camera wakes up would make sense for me.

Edited by JorisV
  • Like 1

"Capture Assistants" is not in the list of options that can be added to "Favorites."  It would be helpful to have it there, or else have the CL's center button toggle the display same as the M240.

On the T/TL2 you can add any menu option to your Favorites.

I don't understand why they restricted it on the CL.  It makes no sense to me.  

Also, the focus little square stays where you last focused therefore, for each shot, you must bring it to the middle . It is OK when you have time for each shot, but when you are shooting fast (for instance in street), it takes time and sometimes you forget or you don't even see it in certain light. If, after each shot, or after each turning the camera off, the focus area could automatically go to the center, it would be a great help, at least for me. 

We discussed that in the firmware thread!

This is how you want it to work, Louise. And given there are others like you, it would be good to have an option for it, but not a default and only behaviour.

I for one actually prefer it the way it is !! The focus point stays where it was LAST. It would drive me nuts to reposition it each time from the centre.

• Like 1

I agree on 1.  I've run through a battery only once, and I had a spare in my pocket, but the indicator on screen doesn't seem very accurate.  And I have a very light third-party extension grip with a hole through which the battery/chip door is accessible, so 3 isn't hard to solve.  In fact, I don't use the grip.

I see back-button auto focus (missing on CL, useful on SL) and recentering the focus point both as being victims of the CL's complete solution to focus magnification.  First the center push button on the right was given to cycling the display through its two settings (with and without info).  Then the up and down arrows (BOTH!) were used to initiate focus magnification for the case of manual focus with an AF lens, where the two wheels are already taken up with aperture and shutter setting.  So although the four-way switch is logically the same as a joystick, it's not available on the CL for anything except the mishmash of currently assigned functions.  I'd love to be involved in a UI rethinking exercise for the CL, but this forum isn't organized to do that.

I am definitely not on the waiting list for a CL-D... 

What would be your solution then?  Yet another function button a la Fuji and Sony?

I already don't need the function button that is there currently and unfortunately I cannot turn it off either.  Leica requires you to set it to something... 

For instance: make one of the buttons (the play button? The center arrow pad button?) long-press play, short-press recenter. Or the other way around.

• Like 1

I am radically against having the focus point automatically go back to the center after each shot.  That would be pure madness IMO.

Having a menu option to do that each time you turn on the camera or each time the camera wakes up would make sense for me.

I know; I know; Joris ! You already expressed many times in different threads your feeling about that “madness”!.... You have a different way of using a camera from me and some others. It is clear!...

I am happy for you that you don’t have any issue with the focusing point!.... ... Good for you!...

Now, keep shooting and posting; so, we may learn something..... lol

• Like 1

Firmware could add the "recenter after last shot" option for those that want this. An option to lock certain buttons would probably drive some folks mad. If I am not mistaken, you can lock all the buttons but that would drive some mad as well. 

• Like 2

You feel rather intensely about things which, in the big wide world, are rather low down the list of critically important matters!

Yours is an entirely valid way of working. If Leica make changes, they should, of course, be made optional so that no one is driven into insanity.

• Like 2

Firmware 2.0 for the CL locks everything but the shutter and the power switch when you give a long press to the left button.  Press again and they free up.  I don't see much use for it but it does stay out of the way if you don't want it.  As long as they are now adding functions to the left wheel button, I'd like some choices...

"Capture Assistants" is not in the list of options that can be added to "Favorites."  It would be helpful to have it there, or else have the CL's center button toggle the display same as the M240.

Interesting. I hadn't noticed that. Thanks!

I probably don't change those things often enough to need them in Favorites ... I tend to set them on or off and want them to stick for whatever session I'm doing. But it would be nice. :)

Just like I don't see the wandering focus point since I don't have any native lenses. Even if I did, I guess I don't hit the four way controller very easily when handling the camera because I usually have the half case fitted (unless I've got the camera stripped so I can fit a plate for my tripod heads' QR clamp). Having that few mm more on the body insets the four way controller pad enough that I need my thumbnail to touch the directional arrows. 

Edited by ramarren

I know; I know; Joris ! You already expressed many times in different threads your feeling about that “madness”!.... You have a different way of using a camera from me and some others. It is clear!...

I am happy for you that you don’t have any issue with the focusing point!.... ... Good for you!...

Now, keep shooting and posting; so, we may learn something..... lol

Louis, why such a reaction?  I actually said that having it as a menu option would make sense... which BTW you did not...

I've been having fun testing the CL with all my R and M lenses, using a tripod for most of the testing as I usually do. The testing is going very nicely, my lenses are showing me that Leica did a great job with the lens profiles, etc ... 

What I miss so far is the ability to plug in a wired remote release.

I've tried using the Leica CL app to drive the camera as a WiFi remote, but, unlike with the SL, the CL version seems a bit flakey. It locks up, the camera locks up, etc. So far it's not proving to be a very successful implementation. 

Are there any other WiFi control apps that will drive the CL? They don't have to do much complicated stuff because I use manual R and M lenses. Just let me release the shutter reliably is all I really need... I can do the rest with the camera, although having a big display screen and exposure controls is always a nice bonus. 

Things I dislike about the CL.

1. The focus point issues Jaap mentions.

2. No IS lenses.

3. That it has a different battery to the TL/TL2

4. No USBC charging. The TL2 has this. No modern compact shouldn't.

5. No GPS or add on GPS.

6. The grip has no tripod socket. Unforgivable. This annoys me a lot.

7. Mandatory LENR.

8. Short long exposure times in bulb.

9. No joystick or touchpad focus select.

10. No focus recenter without touch screen

11. No cable remote release.

Things I'd like to see:

1. A super fast 35mm native lens. Noctilux preferably.

2. TL lenses longer than 135mm. 3-400mm

3. A fast standard zoom (16-60 2.8-4) WITH IS.

Gordon

• Like 6

When you carry the camera  and use auto-switchoff, so it will be live, touching the arrow keys will dislocate the focus point. It is more than annoying when you want to take a quick shot and it is hiding somewhere in a corner.

Now you might understand why I have previously been so critical. I think a kid could have done a better job than Leica's experts did in allowing these undoubted failings in the first place, then worse following up with such a firmware failure. This potentially wonderful camera hence is insufficiently intuitive so not yet a 'Photographers' camera, or a great tool for the job, and simply not because it is just too finicky in use. Don

Intuitive is not a first requirement for me. Von Karajan, when asked why he always directed from paper, replied " I can read music, can't I? " I feel the same about manuals.

Now that I am aware of the problem, I find it a bit easier to handle, but I still wish Leica would implement a solution. The stupid "lock everything" is not a useful feature. Well, maybe it is if you plan to hand the camera to a Chimpanzee to use.

• Like 2