What do I dislike on the CL ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Three things:

1  The wandering focus point

2. There is no early warning of a near-empty battery, it simply dies unexpectedly.

3. The handgrip has no quick-release or easy access to the battery flap.

That makes it a pretty good camera for me. :)

• Like 4

Agree 1 and 2. Don’t use a handgrip so 3 isn’t a problem. I’ll add the ultra-sensitivity of the EVF to dust. And it’s the first camera I’ve owned that’s made me question my love for the Ricoh GR (that now sits forlornly on the desk).

So, yes, pretty amazing.

• Like 1

Agree on 1.

Not 2. I rarely use the CL for intensive shooting, so the battery rarely runs flat.

Not 3, I don't use a grip.

Back button focus would be a real plus and would stop me switching to manual focus, which I quite often do when I'm doing a series of shots, but is slower to use for the first shot.

But I agree entirely with your last comment!

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Three things:

2. There is no early warning of a near-empty battery, it simply dies unexpectedly.

I do use the CL's handgrip and very much agree with jaapv.  As a grip it works very well but with no easy access to the battery flap it looks to me to belong on Leica's "maybe we should come out with a V 2.0 of this piece of gear." list.  Fuji came out with a version 2 of the handgrip they made for the X-Pro1 and it was much improved.

. . . David

• Like 1

I do use the CL's handgrip and very much agree with jaapv.  As a grip it works very well but with no easy access to the battery flap it looks to me to belong on Leica's "maybe we should come out with a V 2.0 of this piece of gear." list.  Fuji came out with a version 2 of the handgrip they made for the X-Pro1 and it was much improved.

. . . David

V 2.0 ever is better, but the risk is to lost a lot of happy time waiting for that.

• Like 1

Three things:

Hmm. Just got my CL body. Overall, I haven't found much not to like yet. I've been spending time getting familiar with the controls and configuration options, so far it's all looking good.

As I get my teeth into the little beastie, I'll keep you apprised of what I find. 

I think most of us agree with number 1; I do also. This is a very important issue that I hope Leica would kindly take under consideration.

Can you explain what is happening? I have only manual lenses to use with the CL as yet, and didn't see any wandering focus point when I was playing with it fitted with the native 60mm macro lens at the Leica Store. 

Can you explain what is happening? I have only manual lenses to use with the CL as yet, and didn't see any wandering focus point when I was playing with it fitted with the native 60mm macro lens at the Leica Store. 

When you carry the camera  and use auto-switchoff, so it will be live, touching the arrow keys will dislocate the focus point. It is more than annoying when you want to take a quick shot and it is hiding somewhere in a corner.

• Like 1

When you carry the camera  and use auto-switchoff, so it will be live, touching the arrow keys will dislocate the focus point. It is more than annoying when you want to take a quick shot and it is hiding somewhere in a corner.

Also, the focus little square stays where you last focused therefore, for each shot, you must bring it to the middle . It is OK when you have time for each shot, but when you are shooting fast (for instance in street), it takes time and sometimes you forget or you don't even see it in certain light. If, after each shot, or after each turning the camera off, the focus area could automatically go to the center, it would be a great help, at least for me. 

We discussed that in the firmware thread!

• Like 1

Also, the focus little square stays where you last focused therefore, for each shot, you must bring it to the middle . It is OK when you have time for each shot, but when you are shooting fast (for instance in street), it takes time and sometimes you forget or you don't even see it in certain light. If, after each shot, or after each turning the camera off, the focus area could automatically go to the center, it would be a great help, at least for me. 

We discussed that in the firmware thread!

That is another thing, and it would help a lot, there is no quick recenter method :( It should be a one button push, or something like that.

• Like 1

5 months since I purchased the camera and I still love it's size and the image quality however my M10 is getting more love lately.

Main reason is 1  and then 2 a  no warning of battery can leave you with no choice but your iPhone.

Come on Leica how hard is it to fix both of these issues .

Yes, there are two focus point issues:

- while the camera is live, it is too easy to touch the direction arrow and move the point

- it stays where you left it; annoying if you forget to recentre when you've finished a series of shots.

I don't think there is much to be done about the first one short of a redesign that makes the direction arrows less liable to touching; on a small body that is difficult, and might make the arrows difficult to use normally.

The solution to the second, which would also help with the first, would be to have a means of quickly recentering. There's a shortage of buttons (not a common criticism of Leica cameras), but an optional firmware solution until the CL2 would be for the focus point to recenter after switching off.

An firmware solution solution to the lack of buttons would be to allow the dial buttons or Fn button to be programmable as one-press actions, rather than as links to a menu item as they are at the moment: focus point recentering, or back button focussing for starters.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1