TL2 is finally an almost flawless camera (after latest update)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I love the latest update. TL2 is more customisable. Works better with MF lenses. I guess AF is also a little bit better? Not sure though. AF was waaaay behind today's era, or even 2-years-ago era, but I hope it got better.

The only too-easy-to-dismiss thing missing - ability to switch off exposure preview, so you could work with additional flashes / in the studio. Shooting in a studio with a TL2 is still impossible. I know this camera is more targeted toward instagram bloggers, but come on, when you give lenses of such a quality, such a sensor, why handicap a camera this way? 

What do you think TL2 misses and where do you thing it's absolutely flawless as it is? For my type of photography I'd only ask for ability to turn off exposure preview in LCD so I could work in a studio with it or with additional flashes which aren't only light fill flashes (it's an easy fix via software, come on Leica! You already figured it out in every other camera of yours) and a great portrait lens (Summilux-TL 60mm sounds like heaven, 50mm Lux sounds great as well). Besides that - we get a beautiful camera, incredibly built, with great sensor, great IQ, incredible (but sometimes large) lenses, acceptable AF, great fast shutter speeds via electronic shutter and great menus and handling. Of course there's also surely a very popular need for a universal zoom (around 17-50mm) f2.8, although I could live without it.

Just some random thoughts of 90% appreciation and 10% anger :) 

• Like 2

Wojtek,

I have been having similar thoughts myself lately. Now that I have figured out the left wheel system, the TL2 is really perfect for my type of shooting. As you said, great build quality, wonderful lenses available, on and on. I can truthfully say I have noticed an increase in clarity of the photos since this upgrade. Plus the ability to see enlargement in the EVF is a real bonus. But my favorite new feature is the FN button no longer puts it in video mode unless I want to .. inadvertently hitting that button happened more than a few times to me in the past. ..

IMO, the camera is now worthy of the Leica name.

Cheers and congratulations to all you TL2 photographers.

Rick

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wish they would give me manual control over the video function. I sometimes film with the camera (with M lenses) and the full auto settings completely kill the function for me.

This is the last bit lacking on the TL2.

You're definitely right! I had that problem as well. TL2's video quality is too good to work in auto only (which, at least for me, tended to overexpose faces of people! Which of course ruined the otherwise perfect shots)

You're definitely right! I had that problem as well. TL2's video quality is too good to work in auto only (which, at least for me, tended to overexpose faces of people! Which of course ruined the otherwise perfect shots)

Yes exactly. My main problem with it is the auto exposure. With an M lens on it you can at least control a BIT more.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Agreed, the TL2 is a magnificent camera. Besides the TL 23 mm (great al purpose lens) I started using M lenses on it and they seem just made for this system. Perfect balance, easy focusing, super image quality and all in a small package. Great backup to my SL.

What I’m missing (probably it works so well on the SL) is the joystick for back button focus and focus point selection.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, jonatdonuts said:

Any final verdict on AF performance? As good as CL? Particularly interested in performance with lux 35

The 35mm focuses in onto detail in a smooth, possibly constant step, manner on the TL2

On the CL the search is back and forth with  large then smaller and smaller steps - like a binary step algorithm.

The CL is consequently faster but noisier.

TL2 1.4

CL 2.1 

The TL2 + 35mm feels better thanks to the grip so one handed operation is fine.

CL + 35 feels too small so one handed operation not really possible.

I get the feeling on the CL a lot more work went into algorithm design for focus control and peaking and jpegs, but little time was spent on haptics and UI.

The TL2 a lot of effort went into physical design* and UI  but less on the underlying  algorithms * ( clip on Visoflex EVF excepted ).

The ideal camera would be the TL2 body restyled with EVF of the CL; UI of the TL2 plus processing and focus algorithms from the CL.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2018 at 3:42 PM, Wojtek said:

I love the latest update. TL2 is more customisable. Works better with MF lenses.

How are you working with M lenses?  I tried a T without the EVF and my M lenses and didn't like it at all.

7 minutes ago, dritz said:

How are you working with M lenses?  I tried a T without the EVF and my M lenses and didn't like it at all.

The focus peaking on the TL2 and M lenses works ( 28/2 is my first choice ), but the display effect is often way too subtle to see on the LCD outdoors. Setting the jpeg effect to high contrast B&W helps a bit.

Both with the LCD and EVF, for M lenses to become practical, I need to assign focus magnification( with peaking) to the left wheel. With the Visoflex attached it’s a lot easier to use focus peaking, provided there is strong subject contrast, but magnification remains needed to nail focus on fine detail.

On July 14, 2018 at 5:42 AM, Wojtek said:

The only too-easy-to-dismiss thing missing - ability to switch off exposure preview, so you could work with additional flashes / in the studio. Shooting in a studio with a TL2 is still impossible.

HELP.. how to switch off Exposure Preview in Leica TL2 ? i need to shooting in a studio with additional flash, thanks