Q firmware v3, video button question.......

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello, I've been trying to find a way to disable the video run button on the Q, is that possible now like on the M240? I hit video accidentally way too often and I'd like to find a way to kill that function.

Thanks for any suggestions.....

[No way to disable. Unfortunately! Many of us would like to re-purpose it.

Well that's messed up, I'd have thought that function would have been a no-brainier to have sorted.

Hello, I've been trying to find a way to disable the video run button on the Q, is that possible now like on the M240? I hit video accidentally way too often and I'd like to find a way to kill that function.

Thanks for any suggestions.....

The video button can be disabled by going to page 3 on the Main Menu. Select Customize Control, than click on it and change the settings from Mode Lock Photo/Video from Off to On. The red video button on the top of the camera will be disabled.

• Like 2

Thanks Mike_HNL, yes I did see and try that prior to posting the question but on my camera it made no difference.....the video button still triggered video recording, maybe my Q has a gremlin of some kind..

Edited by petermullett

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well I don't know what happened here, but I turned the camera off, pulled the battery out for ten minutes then put it back in again. Turned the Q back on, tested the Video run button and this time it's dead. So Mike_HNL's advice does work but in my case I had to remove/replace the battery to get it to recognise the Customise Control command before that option stuck.....why, who knows!

There is an unfortunate feature lurking to frustrate "stills only" shooters like myself:

The display choice for the LCD has several options you can cycle through with the middle button ("Set"?) of multi controller:

1. Nothing, just the image you are composing.
  2. Just the bottom row displays with mode, ISO, Aperture, Exposure Comp, shutter, and card capacity
  3. Bottom & top rows displayed with nearly everything
  4. Video mode!  Danged thing goes into video mode even when the lock is set.

I have been bitten by this thing countless times when I try to move the focus point with the multi controller.  

Herr Leica: How about 3.1 for us stills shooters?

• Like 2

I try to keep my menus and options very limited, to simplify my work, yet at least 3x since the upgrade the camera began shooting in video without my noticing, resulting in freezing the buffer. Each time, I had to turn the camera off and wait a minute or so until the read/write caught up. No big deal, but not optimal. 

Guest tofu_man

There is an unfortunate feature lurking to frustrate "stills only" shooters like myself:

The display choice for the LCD has several options you can cycle through with the middle button ("Set"?) of multi controller:

1. Nothing, just the image you are composing.
  2. Just the bottom row displays with mode, ISO, Aperture, Exposure Comp, shutter, and card capacity
  3. Bottom & top rows displayed with nearly everything
  4. Video mode!  Danged thing goes into video mode even when the lock is set.

I have been bitten by this thing countless times when I try to move the focus point with the multi controller.  

Herr Leica: How about 3.1 for us stills shooters?

I find it annoying too. And video mode can be quite hard to see in poor light.

I really don't understand the firmware design logic:  set Mode Lock Photo/Video to On but video mode is still enabled?  Seems really weird to me.

• Like 2

My suspicion is Leica is committed to the Q being a general purpose camara and clearly their competition, which costs much less, has video capability. Some with dramatically better video capability. So, they appear do not want to completely eliminate video on the Q. Mode lock ON makes video somewhat less available meaning you have to have selected the video screen to engage video. Its a philosophical and not technical decision on their part. Like many of you, I have zero interest in video and would like to re-purpose the button. Making it like the Fn button, but having it dedicated to one function would be a nice win. I’d choose focus mode. Its annoying the way it is, but its not hugely in my way.

• Like 2

My suspicion is Leica is committed to the Q being a general purpose camara and clearly their competition, which costs much less, has video capability. Some with dramatically better video capability. So, they appear do not want to completely eliminate video on the Q. Mode lock ON makes video somewhat less available meaning you have to have selected the video screen to engage video. Its a philosophical and not technical decision on their part. Like many of you, I have zero interest in video and would like to re-purpose the button. Making it like the Fn button, but having it dedicated to one function would be a nice win. I’d choose focus mode. Its annoying the way it is, but its not hugely in my way.

Whatever Leica philosophical approach is, there should be no way that when we operate the camera under assumption that we are in photo stills mode that we accidentally end up shooting video instead. To me that's really the main problem (not that the video is available for those who want it, or that video button can't be re-purposed - as long as it can be reliably turned off for those who don't want it that's fine).

• Like 5