Back to the Q - So Long M10

Advertisement (gone after registration)

More power to you. I might be able to do a year at 28mm, but being limited to a single focal length would ultimately make me crazy.  I can imagine if you're wed to the street or tend toward backpacking and wider landscapes, its a perfect partner. Given what I tend to shoot, however, its really just another lens in the bag that happens to have a body attached.  I love the Q. Without a doubt it is a special camera, but if it really came down to owning one or the other, its the M that stays.   

As a long time Canon user with a bag full of lenses, I too long for simplicity and am considering the Q as well. Any idea when a new version may be presented by Leica? I have read elsewhere there is a 3-4 year life cycle on certain Leica cameras. 

More power to you. I might be able to do a year at 28mm, but being limited to a single focal length would ultimately make me crazy.  I can imagine if you're wed to the street or tend toward backpacking and wider landscapes, its a perfect partner. Given what I tend to shoot, however, its really just another lens in the bag that happens to have a body attached.  I love the Q. Without a doubt it is a special camera, but if it really came down to owning one or the other, its the M that stays.

I know it is a compromise, but selecting the 35mm crop does allow tightening of subject framing with no loss in quality for every day shooting.

• Like 1

As a long time Canon user with a bag full of lenses, I too long for simplicity and am considering the Q as well. Any idea when a new version may be presented by Leica? I have read elsewhere there is a 3-4 year life cycle on certain Leica cameras. 

No one outside of Leica knows or is telling.

Truly 1 persons guess is as good as anyone elses.

The Q was introduced about 3 years ago.

I may be wrong but I do not recall any buzz on the camera until just before it was introduced.

Photokina is coming up this fall-- sometimes Leica will introduce cameras there.  I seem to recall some of the X models were introduced at Photokina.

I hope that the 'life cycle' of my Q is greater than 3-4 years (my copy was purchased 3 years  3 weeks ago)

The camera is 'better' today (with firmware 3.0) than when i bought it.

Buy a used version if you are concerned about depreciation. (then again the used Q's still go for a premium price)

The lens is amazing (if you see in 28mm)

The sensor is very good even for a sensor 3 years old-- it will take amazing photos for many years to come.

Edited by prk60091
  • Like 4