Back to the Q - So Long M10

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I briefly posted about this here but it was leading to an EVF question....but as I continue reading about people leaving the Q and making the M10 plunge, I was just curious if anyone else has left the M10 and come back to the Q, or am I the lone wolf? 

The Q was my first Leica experience and I loved every minute of it. When I took the M10 plunge, I thought It was going to take the feeling I had for the Q and multiply it ten fold (pun intended). And at first, it was great. The M10 is a tank and the king of the hill for the moment. But almost right away I began to feel the 'which lenses' pressure.

Coming from Canon, then Fuji, the GAS monster was already lurking and I think after a couple of months I realized I was about to be back in the same boat as I was with my Fuji system...lens, lens, lens, lens! We all know how great the lux & crons are, and there are endless other choices.

Then came the lack of auto-focus...again I thought this was going to be a new adventure (and it was). It slowed me down, which was a good thing. I did enjoy the process. But to be honest, I started missing the simplicity of raising the camera and nailing a shot without having to think about focusing. That may sound like I'm lazy, but it's true...I missed my Q.  

I'm not a professional shooter, and I'm sure the newer sensor and overall engineering gave the 10 a leg up in IQ, but after comparing almost 2 years of Q images with the images I was getting with the 10...it just wasn't enough for me to stay with the 10.

I thought it was going to be really hard to walk away, and I felt bad for about a day after I sold it...but as soon as I had another Q in my hands, I can honestly say I don't miss it. 

Disclaimer: This is just my experience...I'm not bashing the 10 or those who use it...in any way. 

Here are a couple of snaps from my new Q just hours after getting it...nothing earth shattering, but man this little camera rocks. 

SaveSave

SaveSaveSaveSave

SaveSave

• Like 8

Guest tofu_man

I’m happy with a single lens too .....it would be interesting if Leica ever released a rangefinder with a fixed 28mm or 35mm lens. I think I now use MF on the Q much more than AF.

• Like 2

I have the same temptation with the CL. But as everyone's said, the pressure to pick the "right" lens. I recently got my Nikon FE cleaned and have been shooting film, and loving in. But the pressure to go out with the right lens....who needs that? I've taken only the Q on several weeks-long trip and never missed having a different camera or lens. If I can't crop to the Q, it's not a picture I need to have.

• Like 1

I'm glad I came across this post. Thank you for sharing.

I was just thinking about jumping to M10 from Q, but the thought of using range finder focusing is daunting for me. I don't think I can live without the auto-focus and probably the manual focus assist features of the Q. 

I’ve been thinking of making the opposite move myself: Q to either M or CL. I find the single lens too restrictive. I’m glad you are happy with the switch.

I also sometimes wish to have a bit more reach than 28. However, instead of chosing between M or CL I'm hoping to eventually see another Q (ie summilux 50mm), so instead of switching lenses I can switch between two small cameras (and also have a perfect backup camera as a bonus).

• Like 2

I've gone down a similar path - I used to shoot an M6 film camera - then I got the Q and it changed absolutely everything for me. I recently got a Leica M240 with a 50mm Summicron (trying to scratch my curiosity about Leica digital rangefinder shooting) and I found that I was just never, ever choosing it over the Q. I recently sold all of it - except for my Q - I honestly couldn't be happier with my decision. I feel that Q is probably the best camera ever made. I'm very eagerly awaiting to see what they do with a Q version 2. 

• Like 1

I check in on a regular basis to this forum as I love the images that are created by the folks here. It's hard to describe but it's like the difference between listening to vinyl vs. MP3.

That has caught me in a Bermuda Triangle of choices: the desire for simplicity after years of a bag full of Canon gear, the recognition that the "something lacking" in my pictures (apart from skill), is the lack of depth or richness of the images - back to the vinyl comparison.

The Q fits perfectly but the angst is missing different perspectives when you have one lens and one lens only. I could go towards a CL but I don't want loads of lenses anymore. Or I could rekindle the past using my father's rangefinder and getting an M.

Consequently I'm waiting until Photokina has finished before I take the plunge. But the Q is awfully appealing...

• Like 1

The Q fits perfectly but the angst is missing different perspectives when you have one lens and one lens only.

It’s only in your head, I can say it because I had the same fear when I dedided to replace a full bag of lenses with the Q alone.

I thought I’d miss a lot of shots, and I surely do, but I still come back home with many shots often more than before because I don’t waste my time swapping lenses anymore, so it’s more time for taking pictures!

And the quality of my work - whatever it is - had not decreased, I think it has improved a little bit, so really I have no regrets living with the 28mm alone.

• Like 2

So I was ready to buy the M in addition to my Q and thought

about checking in at the Forum....glad I did...thank you. Dispelled my M thoughts...just returned from two week trip to London with nothing but my Q...left the Canon at home and hoped for the best...boy what a great decision...figure only thing M might offer is mucho dinero lens options which I never missed on trip...put mucho dinero in sock with other dinero.

I've done my rounds with other Leica cameras, including the M9-P(gone), M10(gone), CL(gone) and SL. The only constant in my bag was the Q, and I've never considered selling it. There is no replacement for the Q in my opinion.

You kept the SL?