Leica M10-P coming soon?

sunnymoone

Okay. We know that the next M10 would have touch screen. And some of you might not be too happy with just this "upgrade" and less the red dot. But would silent shutter interest anyone to buy/upgrade to the M10P?  :D

I will be happy for an M10-D, without any screen! And a more silent shutter is always welcome.  :)

• Like 3

Okay. We know that the next M10 would have touch screen. And some of you might not be too happy with just this "upgrade" and less the red dot. But would silent shutter interest anyone to buy/upgrade to the M10P?  :D

I would not want a touch screen. 

As a glasses wearer, I activate live view about half the time when shooting in portrait mode (holding the camera vertical) with the edge of my glasses frame.  A touch screen would likely be a nightmare for we who wear glasses. 

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1

I would not want a touch screen.

As a glasses wearer, I activate live view about half the time when shooting in portrait mode (holding the camera vertical) with the edge of my glasses frame. A touch screen would likely be a nightmare for we who wear glasses.

Touchscreens can be broadly divided into being based on either resistive, capacitive, or, less frequent, inductive technology respectively.

Most modern small displays are of the capacitive type which would not be activated by eyeglass frames. Maybe, with some effort, one could artistically rub one‘s nose against the screen while framing, though ;)

Edited by schattenundlicht

The red-dotless front is the main reason I’d want to upgrade but like many others, no touch screen please.

However, the wears & brassing on my M10 are hard to let go. How many of you wouldn’t let go an M (films & digital) because of your personal marks on the camera?

I wish I could say I won’t buy this solely based on aesthetics but surely that is the case.

I think Leica was smart With the pricing of the P version. $700 seems “reasonable” for the changes.

I’m still confused by the touch screen?!.?!.

Since a few days I’m hoping for a M10-P upgrade program. The top cover will do it for me.  :D

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by RangefindersDelight

I wish I could say I won’t buy this solely based on aesthetics but surely that is the case.

I think Leica was smart With the pricing of the P version. $700 seems “reasonable” for the changes.

I’m still confused by the touch screen?!.?!.

I do not understand: Is the P expected to have a back screen or does it come without any screen?

Edit: With screen. That is said in Leicarumors and above.

Edited by Alex U.

A good sense of humor and solid mental health are required to survive in this forum.

A skin as thick as Level III body armor comes in handy from time to time too. 

I would also hazard a guess that if solid mental health were an official requirement for membership, our beloved Leica Forum would be in dire straits for members.   :D 

Edited by Herr Barnack

I do not understand: Is the P expected to have a back screen or does it come without any screen?

Edit: With screen. That is said in Leicarumors and above.

MP - no red dot, and usually other upgrades like sapphire or gorilla glass, sometimes a bigger buffer etc. Otherwise the same as the standard camera, but nicer looking. (Leica made MP versions of the M9 and M240).

M-D - same as the MP, but no LCD on the back. “Crippled” some would say (two versions so far - the limited edition M Edition 60 and the M-D version of the M240).

Edited by IkarusJohn

I do not know too much about the model policy of Leica with its M’s. But under the condition that the M-P has an screen on its back that is even a tough screen plus new shutter plus some other details/improvements . . .

Is this then not just the successor of the M10?

Who goes to buy the M10 from now on? Yes, there are akways customers who like to save some money with older models that are still good products. In analogy there are still people buying an EOS 5D Mk III instead of the Mark IV. Thats fine but its just the old model.

And this happens after a bit more than 1.5 years after the launch of the M10? Does that make sense other than just boosting sales?

I agree, Alex. There is a reasonably strong opinion here that the MP versions are what should be released in the first place.

I guess the MP is a model extender - Leica has a slower development cycle than many other manufacturers (Sony springs to mind) and releasing an MP version helps to keep sales going. In the case of the M10, I’m sure sales will continue in parallel for a while, then Leica will quietly drop the M10, leaving the MP version as the only option.

If I recall correctly, the M-D and Monochrom versions tend to be relatively limited release.