Leica M10-P coming soon?

sunnymoone

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A new Leica M10-P camera with a touchscreen is rumored to be announced later this year.

Source via Leica Rumors via Digicame-info: https://leicarumors.com/2018/07/12/leica-m10-p-with-touchscreen-and-a-new-tl-macro-lens-rumored-to-be-announced-later-this-year.aspx/

What do you think?

Welcome and great question - " What do you think?". On the one hand I think the Leica M community is not ready for a touch screen. On the other, I think if it means there are absolutley NO buttons at all on the back then it brings the M back to Das Wesentliche. And thats all we really want.

• Like 2

Surely "Das Wesentliche" is best realised with the MD? 

Personally I can't see a use for a touch screen on the M series, especially the M10, as already pointed out at best  it can be used for navigating menu's and swiping to flick through images on your memory card which doesn't make much sense when it comes to cost and extra weight for something to do what 1 of three buttons does very well as it is.

• Like 1

A touchscreen would be a very useful addition to the M10 in my opinion. Of course it won’t be used to focus. But even to check the focus at a target spot in an frame at 50% or 100% enlargement currently requires an absurd number of presses of the directional pad and clicks of the command wheel. On touchscreen Leicas such as the CL, it requires a trivial double tap on the target spot to zoom into the point of interest at 100%.

No doubt some will say it is better to concentrate on taking good photos than to check focus on ones already taken, etc etc. But that argument is really a false choice... you can both take good photos (better, I would say) and also check that the target spot of the photo is in focus.

Currently, doing so is very cumbersome on the M10. A touchscreen would make it trivial. And for those M10 users who really don’t want a touchscreen, I hope Leica enables it to be switched off.

• Like 2

As an M6 and M9 user (with the screen on powersave) I didn't really see the need for the screen.  However, the recent addition of a new CL to the collection has shown me the usefulness of the touchscreen.  In the same way I wouldn't expect a smartphone to have little menu wheels and seperate buttons, I am coming to realise, accept and value the ease of touchscreen.  If nothing else, an even less cluttered rear of the camera, with consequently larger screen would be a good thing for those that use it.  I'm not sure the TL will survive the arrival of the CL, and that TL technology investment needs to go somewhere.

The point is you don't need an array of buttons for interacting with a menu interface. 

You press "delete" for activating the "delete" function you see at the screen. That is primitive. 

In 2018 you have touchscreens everywhere (phones, watches...). 

You touch the "delete" function you see at the screen. 

Buttons need space, and you can save that space for better ergonomics or larger screens. Buttons require complex weather sealing too. 

Touchscreens have nothing to do with focus selection in a manual focus camera.

Edited by rosuna
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Rosuna

You are correct.

But Modifying the physical performance of an existing model by adding a touch screen and associated changes to the electronics would be a major engineering exercise on the M10. It’s highly unlikely. Most xx-P upgrades to each M are firmware or aesthetics, and possibly memory. The manufacturing cost of changing the body, internals and configuration of an existing model, and the need to keep all existing versions serviceable make interim changes problematical. New model required. Look out for a new camera with touch screen and other bells and whistles. You’ll soon have a leica badged Sony, or will it be a Leica badged Apple smartWatch with camera and Summilux lens.

Edited by lucerne
  • Like 1

Welcome to The Leica forum. Before you comment on rumours I think you need to belong to the Leica community for longer than a few days, to read the members discussions, and (even better) to own an M. Then you need to think logically about what you are posting.

Touch screens would have no real value on a Leica M except to enable changes to be made to settings. On the M10,the most important settings can be made externally on the body. Focusing is always manual.

Take a look at the Leica Q to see what the touch screen can do.

Rather condescending. 

• Like 1

The point is you don't need an array of buttons for interacting with a menu interface. 

Well, buttons with specific assigned roles can be a lot quicker than wading through menus on a touchscreen. I think that the balance of menus/buttons is about right and a touchscreen might well complicate and slow operations down. But that's just my view :).

Edited by pgk
  • Like 2

Well, buttons with specific assigned roles can be a lot quicker than wading through menus on a touchscreen. I think that the balance of menus/buttons is about right and a touchscreen might well complicate and slow operations down. But that's just my view :).

Be cautious. You might inadvertently open a new can of worms. . Misunderstandings are rife on this forum. The progression from specific assigned roles is very close to user assigned roles.

Now is it safe for me to post this without being flamed?

By my count Leica Rumors has been pretty accurate over the past couple years at least. Yes, it’s not perfect, and sometimes the timing is off or the details are off, but to me their predictions turn out to be correct far more often than not.

Leica Rumors used to have a reputation for unreliability, which they seemed to have overcome in the last year or so.

With the Leica CM debacle they are now back at square one!

Don't believe all you read on the web.

Wow. Great innovation! Sapphire glass, a touch screen that more or less has zero functionality (no touch to focus, no video, no need to deep-dive into the menus ever after setting the basic settings once - what does anyone need a touch screen for?). But no spirit level... Great. Good priorities.

• Like 2

Wow. Great innovation! Sapphire glass, a touch screen that more or less has zero functionality (no touch to focus, no video, no need to deep-dive into the menus ever after setting the basic settings once - what does anyone need a touch screen for?). But no spirit level... Great. Good priorities.

No touch to focus on a manual lens with no electronics. Imagine that.

What a revelation.

Spirit levels are for amateurs.

I have seen the new Leica M10-P. A close friend of mine is a Leica photographer and is testing it. 

Touch screen

built in EVF

Curved grip

larger battery

4k video

No more removable bottom plate

Better weather sealing

Oh wait. I'm sorry. I am confusing the M10-P with the SL. Whoops.

• Like 6