LEICA M8 Replacement battery type 14464

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I find several different options for type 14464 replacement batteries for the M* on Web sites.

These appear to be available in the following values: 1600 mHa and 1900 mHa.  The "Liica" branded battery presently in my camera is rated at 1860 mHa and the prices differ considerably.

Can someone, please, advise me as to the pros / cons of using a compatible type battery as against the genuine Leica one.

With many thanks,

Brian

Some third party batteries perform reasonably well, others are junk, all of them have problems communicating the state of charge to the camera. Your best option is a genuine Leica battery, despite the price.

• Like 4

from Anatomy of the Leica M8's Battery 14464

...   ;)  , so let's have a look  into  my  replacement battery 'OTB':

I expected one Resistor, maybe a simple protection circuit.

… 

attachicon.gifOTB with DS2438.jpg

I am completely surprised. This I did not expect:

It looks like a full replica, including a DS2438 SOIC-8.

There is a similar protective circuit,  but they used  other casing  for some semiconductors.

Obviously I can recognize everything that correlates to the block diagram.

I will not analyse more, so far this battery still works.

But, without functioning level  indicator, as it is described here in the LUF (Anomaly with …)

Back to your question.

My copy looks 'all right', but from outside, you can't see what you get.  In the worst case you get what you pay for ...

Thorsten

Edited by Dao De Leitz
  • Like 1

Brian;

A number of years ago now I purchased 2 off-brand M8 batteries. They had to be fully discharged before charging.

A while ago now, I purchased a "Nitecore" M8/M9 charger, and it had difficulty with these off-brand batteries, they would never reach full charge.

So, I went and purchased 2 new batteries from a Leica distributor.

Best decision I ever made. Close your eyes when paying, and enjoy hassle-free shooting ever after.

Just my opinion - having gone down that path,  John.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have two genuine Leica 14464 re-chargeable batteries for my M8. One was purchased in April 2012 and the other in December 2013. The markings on both the packaging and the batteries are identical and neither give an indication as to when they might have been manufactured.  I'm not sure as to whether they were purchased from the same shop - if they were it is possible they were from the same batch.

• Like 1

Some third party batteries perform reasonably well, others are junk, all of them have problems communicating the state of charge to the camera. Your best option is a genuine Leica battery, despite the price.

Wasabi is the only 3rd party battery brand which performs as good as the originals. Sadly they never produce the 14464 equivalents so I have 2 Leica brand batteries. I wouldn't risk my camera with cheap knock-offs, but I agree they are expensive. 

• Like 1

I got my M8 in 2009 plus extra genuine Leica battery. Those days already 3rd party batteries were available but I would no take the risk. Last year also purchased the Niticore usb charger. Both genuine batteries perform still very good.

A little off topic is the 3rd party usb chargers for a smartphone or other devices. Online you can find many cheap alternatives. I’m member of a consumer test organisation and they found in their test that those 3rd party usb chargers are dangerous with the advise to buy only an original charger.

Best

• Like 1

I have two "Original OTB for M8/M9-P 1700 mAh". I used them on M8 and using them on M-E. Second year now. Capacity just as good as original Leica (with made in China label).

But, then in M8 if I pressed shutter button twice without delay, it was locking M8 and another battery was needed to fix it. On M-E it tells what it is not charged then inserted, but something like set+info makes it normal.

Personally, I have no problem with it. Made in China with Leica label or Made in China with OTB label, no big deal for me, except OTB was priced like normal battery, not like Leica boutique item. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...