Extended warranty for used lens?

lmak

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, just got a 2008 Summicron 90/2 Asph/apo that looks pretty new. Some minor scuffs on the front end of the lens hood is all I can see. Local shop offered a 2 year warranty extension on manufactured defect from Mack. Doesn’t cost too much but curious if anybody thinks it is worth it at this point. Doesn’t cover accidental damage. Kind of thinking at 10 years and Leica build quality it’s not really rational to get. Thanks!

Local shop offered a 2 year warranty extension on manufactured defect from Mack. 

So, no manufacturing defect in the first 10 years, what are the chances of one appearing in the next 2? If it covered accidental damage a different case altogether. 

The other clue is the low cost, if they sell a lot of this insurance and face few claims then the premium can be low and attract even more sales, looks the case to me. Rarely, vanishingly so but there will be members who have had benefit of course, does insurance work out well for the insured. Like bookmakers few insurance companies go bankrupt, some "winners" many "losers" but always a win on their side of the fence.

As a Leica lens, even 12 years down the line, if it genuinely was a "manufacturing" defect I am sure Leica would step up to the mark but by then it's going to be fair wear and tear which is not covered.

• Like 1

A lot of those extended warranty insurance policies (because that's what they are) are a con. So many limitations on cover and small print T&C's as to make them basically useless.

For example, I bought a used car that came with 6 months warranty! Great. Until you read the small print which says amongst other things that when making a claim you would have to show that the car had been maintained in accordance with the manufacturers service schedules - impossible as the car was an older model with a couple of previous owners and only some of its service history. I told the dealer to keep his warranty and negotiated a lower price instead.

• Like 2

Appreciate the comments. The insurance is just $40 for a lens up to $5000 in value, which sounds trivial next to the lens price. But I agree, I found myself thinking the 3 year warranty is long expired and short of an accident or theft, a manufacturing defect should have presented itself by now. Functionally it’s amazing - I can read the small print of the royal appointment on my bottle of Laphroig. The whole policy does sound designed to make an easy and enticing point of sale purchase to line the bank accounts of the company...

Hi, just got a 2008 Summicron 90/2 Asph/apo that looks pretty new. Some minor scuffs on the front end of the lens hood is all I can see. Local shop offered a 2 year warranty extension on manufactured defect from Mack. Doesn’t cost too much but curious if anybody thinks it is worth it at this point. Doesn’t cover accidental damage. Kind of thinking at 10 years and Leica build quality it’s not really rational to get. Thanks!

Where are you in the world?