How will the Leica Vario Elmarit T 18-56 Work on SL

rollsman4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I happen to like this range zoom but Not sure how the IQ would be on the SL. I am thinking of getting the SL and I feel the  24-90 Is too heavy. 

Any suggestions as to which lens will work and give me EXCELLENT IQ with the SL.  The CL looks too small a camera. Thanks 

I happen to like this range zoom but Not sure how the IQ would be on the SL. I am thinking of getting the SL and I feel the  24-90 Is too heavy. 

Any suggestions as to which lens will work and give me EXCELLENT IQ with the SL.  The CL looks too small a camera. Thanks 

If I am correct, when you attach 18-56 on the SL, it essentially becomes an APS-C camera. Meaning, the image area on the sensor is around 18mp. While the 24-90 is heavy, it is also excellent IQ. I am not sure about the IQ of the 18-56 on the SL. Even though I have that capability, I have never tried it. The CL in its own element with the 18-56 is a superb system and excellent IQ. You might look at the CL image thread. FWIW

In that case get the CL - especially if you';re concerned about weight. You'll end up with 24mp on the CL, while on the SL you'll only get around 18mp.

By using the TL zoom on the SL, you will lose full frame image, lose image stabilisation, lose resolution, and lose IQ: the 24-90 is better than the 18-56 IMO, though they're both good.

If unsure about potential results for your proposed SL applications , you might consider hiring an SL 601 c/w SL 24-90mm  … or visit a Leica dealer (take an SD card with you) and use a demo camera in store. 

Using TL lenses on the SL results in it being reduced to a 10.33 megapixel camera by virtue of the automatic APS-C crop.

http://macfilos.com/photo/2017/8/22/liking-the-leica-sl-with-m-and-tl-lenses

dunk 

• Like 1

I bought the 18-56 as second zoom beside the 24-90, as lightweight alternative. It works really, really fine, BUT it is APS-C with 10 MP! Iwould not buy it as standard lens with the SL; a 7500 EUR APS-C 10 MP combo ??  ;)

If you have doubts about the weight of the SL 601 / 24-90mm around your neck … it's heavy … and unwise to let it 'dangle' supported / held only by a neck strap  … but manageable if the combination is cradled in the hand. I can carry it all day when around my neck or on my shoulder but also 'cradled' … and the results outweigh any weight inconvenience. Furthermore the 24-90mm covers nearly all photo contingencies at events and the SL/24-90 combo will fit into a small Billingham bag.  However, if weight is an important factor, try using the SL with manual focus M lenses … the SL's EVF is superb thus manual focus is a doddle … especially with the magnified live view option. 

However, all the replies to your queries are no substitute for actual 'hands-on' experience … which is available at a Leica dealer. If you're prepared to spend e.g. $11,000 on the SL with SL 24-90, surely it's worth a trip to a knowledgeable Leica dealer to make sure the $$ is well spent and also ensure the camera's ergonomics / weight are to your liking.  

dunk   

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

Lots of trade offs. I own the SL with 24-90 as well as the CL with a range of TL lenses including the 18-56. While the 18-56 on the SL works really well for times when you don’t want the weight of the SL lens and don’t need more than 10 megapixels, I don’t think I could recommend it as the primary lens for the SL. If you need the performance, robustness, and weather sealing of the SL, go with SL lenses as the primary. If you don’t, get the CL instead. It’s actually a really good camera. Light, compact, exceptional image quality, and decent controls. What do you give up? Image stabilization, more robust (presumably more durable) build, weather sealing, better video capabilities, and that fantastic viewfinder. Plus, a touch (and I do mean a touch—nothing that would matter if not pixel peeping) of high ISO performance.