Leica Q iphone Application - EXTREMELY disappointing

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have tried repeatedly to use the iphone application with very poor results. I find the application extremely unreliable and finicky to use.

I’ve attempted to use it using my home wifi network as well as creating a Leica Q network. Each drop out very often. Unusable for more than one minute.

It’s actually my most disappointing aspect of the Q. Since there’s no cable release, I have no other choice for remote operation except to use the app.

I’m attempting to photograph hummingbirds and standing with my finger on the shutter button is both very tiring and scares the birds away. Sitting with a cup of coffee and pushing the app shutter button would be great, if only it would work.

Has anyone found a way to make the app work reliably and for more than just a minute?

When NFC becomes available with the iphone, I plan to try that connection. Anyone with Android used NFC?

Leica, I know you follow this forum, please put some energy into fixing this app. You’ll certainly need it in the future and with a new Q someday.

• Like 1

I had difficulties to run the app yesterday, the Wifi connection dropped a lot of times, turned out that I had to stop the spotifiy stream I was listening to on the phone. Wifi to Q didn't drop after stopping that.

I had difficulties to run the app yesterday, the Wifi connection dropped a lot of times, turned out that I had to stop the spotifiy stream I was listening to on the phone. Wifi to Q didn't drop after stopping that.

Thanks. Maybe there’s a clue in your discovery. I’ll turn off all othet apps and see if that helps.

Okay. Progress. I turned off all other apps. Only the Leica Q app is active. I also went to Airplane mode to turn off any interruptions from notifications or email, texts, etc. I then chose wifi and connected to the Leica wifi net. Not my home net. I was successful for 10 minutes uninterrupted. Meaning it worked solidly for 10 minutes. I stopped at that point. The app did not fail. I will be a happy camper if I can consistently make this method work and I’ll stop whining to Leica. Maybe. ;-)

Thanks a ton to T00m for the help.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I find the Leica Q app to be one of the best out there for controlling a camera especially when compared to what Sony and fuji have for there's

Very true. The Fuji App was just terrible and the Leica App works much better.

I used the app for som astrophoto this week in Greece and what i found out was the most annoying wasnt the connection but that the manual focus was disabled and AF was back in effect no matter what i tried.. Anyone found a way to do focus at infinity as default while using the app?

I managed to get some really nice shoots on just keep repeating to expose and hoping for the best. Will post when back on land and i have devloped them.. Exposure info: 6400 iso - f/1.7 - 4 sec This was the longest the Q could do due to some sensore limitations i believve? So there is no true T mode neither.. buf it worked.. the milkyway is clearly visible ;)

Did you try the Digiscoping scene mode? I believe it disables Auto Focus. I just tried it and no joy. It seems to fully disable focusing both manual and AF. It must depend on the focus on the telescope or spotting scope you hook to. Sorry, I’m no help, but I thought I’d pass along what I tried.

Since there’s no cable release, I have no other choice for remote operation except to use the app.

Know any friendly machinists?   Perhaps they could make something like this that fit the Q.

Proof of concept.   Haven't yet radiused the corners, cut out the section hiding part of the speed dial, or any other finishing work.   But I can use a cable shutter release to trip the shutter.   I had to fudge the threads for the cable release... it's a special tapered thread for which taps are not generally available.  An M3 thread engages enough threads to do the job.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Proof of concept. Haven't yet radiused the corners, cut out the section hiding part of the speed dial, or any other finishing work. But I can use a cable shutter release to trip the shutter. I had to fudge the threads for the cable release... it's a special tapered thread for which taps are not generally available. An M3 thread engages enough threads to do the job.

Super job! I’m adapting one myself right now and have not yet dealt with the threads. Put me on the list as an order if you want to go into production. Wonder if you could 3D print one with enough strength to work?

Edited by Infiniumguy

Excellent question regarding 3D printing one.  I'm going to try that this afternoon or evening.   I need to add some finishing touches to the CAD design, first.

I don't have a CNC mill and I've probably spent over 6 hours getting the proof of concept as far as it is in aluminum.   Did I mention I'm not very fast at machining  ;)  If the 3D printed version works I may never finish the aluminum version.  It takes me forever to set up a part on the rotary table to cut a radius.

• Like 1

Thirty minutes to 3D print a test piece.   This version works, but is way too flexible.   I suspect it would fail in short order.   Now to tweak the design and see if I can stiffen up the arm a bit.  The hot show portion fits quite nice.

• Like 1

Thirty minutes to 3D print a test piece. This version works, but is way too flexible. I suspect it would fail in short order. Now to tweak the design and see if I can stiffen up the arm a bit. The hot show portion fits quite nice.

p-1349-116Q4041.jpg

Fantastic. I have nephews who are deep into 3D printing. I planned to speak with them when visiting in Sept. You’ll be long done and getting filthy rich selling them. :-)

Maybe a rib along the top to stiffen it some.

Edited by Infiniumguy

https://www.snafu.org/other/3dprint/20180717/ shows my final (for now) design. There is a link to the STL file on that page so anyone with access to a 3D printer can slice and print their own.

Super job. Thanks for providing the design. I sent my order in to my smart relatives with 3-D printers. Big kudos to you.

Mine was printed this morning and is in the mail to me. I'lll update in a few days on how well it works. Way cool!

• Like 1

+1

I can only speak as a Nikon user. Q app is better than Nikon Snap Bridge in many ways because is has more camera controls, one of them is exposure bracket shooting. However, on the Nikon D500, the Nikon app allows you to touch screen any where on the iPhone or iPad to focus and take picture. The Q app has fixed focus point right in the middle, no touch screen, it’s kinda annoying.

Each app has its own weaknesses and strengths.

• Like 1