The Leica Forum uses cookies. Read the privacy statement for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    OK, understood.

Photo

Leica Q iphone Application - EXTREMELY disappointing

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Infiniumguy

Infiniumguy

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Premium Member
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 12 July 2018 - 15:42

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)
I have tried repeatedly to use the iphone application with very poor results. I find the application extremely unreliable and finicky to use.

I’ve attempted to use it using my home wifi network as well as creating a Leica Q network. Each drop out very often. Unusable for more than one minute.

It’s actually my most disappointing aspect of the Q. Since there’s no cable release, I have no other choice for remote operation except to use the app.

I’m attempting to photograph hummingbirds and standing with my finger on the shutter button is both very tiring and scares the birds away. Sitting with a cup of coffee and pushing the app shutter button would be great, if only it would work.

Has anyone found a way to make the app work reliably and for more than just a minute?

When NFC becomes available with the iphone, I plan to try that connection. Anyone with Android used NFC?

Leica, I know you follow this forum, please put some energy into fixing this app. You’ll certainly need it in the future and with a new Q someday.
  • bags27 said thank you to this

#2 T00m

T00m

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Premium Member
  • 169 posts
  • City / Ort:Frankfurt am Main

Posted 12 July 2018 - 15:57

I had difficulties to run the app yesterday, the Wifi connection dropped a lot of times, turned out that I had to stop the spotifiy stream I was listening to on the phone. Wifi to Q didn't drop after stopping that.

#3 Infiniumguy

Infiniumguy

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Premium Member
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 16:45

I had difficulties to run the app yesterday, the Wifi connection dropped a lot of times, turned out that I had to stop the spotifiy stream I was listening to on the phone. Wifi to Q didn't drop after stopping that.

Thanks. Maybe there’s a clue in your discovery. I’ll turn off all othet apps and see if that helps.

#4 Infiniumguy

Infiniumguy

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Premium Member
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 17:11

Okay. Progress. I turned off all other apps. Only the Leica Q app is active. I also went to Airplane mode to turn off any interruptions from notifications or email, texts, etc. I then chose wifi and connected to the Leica wifi net. Not my home net. I was successful for 10 minutes uninterrupted. Meaning it worked solidly for 10 minutes. I stopped at that point. The app did not fail. I will be a happy camper if I can consistently make this method work and I’ll stop whining to Leica. Maybe. ;-)

Thanks a ton to T00m for the help.
  • stuny said thank you to this

#5 viramati

viramati

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 5,369 posts
  • City / Ort:London

Posted 12 July 2018 - 17:14

I find the Leica Q app to be one of the best out there for controlling a camera especially when compared to what Sony and fuji have for there's

Edited by viramati, 12 July 2018 - 17:15.

• Infiniumguy said thank you to this

#6 marchyman

marchyman

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 463 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 12 July 2018 - 20:05

Since there’s no cable release, I have no other choice for remote operation except to use the app.

Know any friendly machinists?   Perhaps they could make something like this that fit the Q.

https://smile.amazon...c/dp/B003JFN10Y

#7 Voxen

Voxen

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 247 posts
  • LocationNice, France

Posted 13 July 2018 - 11:16

I find the Leica Q app to be one of the best out there for controlling a camera especially when compared to what Sony and fuji have for there's

Very true. The Fuji App was just terrible and the Leica App works much better.

#8 marmelade

marmelade

Benutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • City / Ort:oslo

Posted 13 July 2018 - 12:04

I used the app for som astrophoto this week in Greece and what i found out was the most annoying wasnt the connection but that the manual focus was disabled and AF was back in effect no matter what i tried.. Anyone found a way to do focus at infinity as default while using the app?

I managed to get some really nice shoots on just keep repeating to expose and hoping for the best. Will post when back on land and i have devloped them.. Exposure info: 6400 iso - f/1.7 - 4 sec This was the longest the Q could do due to some sensore limitations i believve? So there is no true T mode neither.. buf it worked.. the milkyway is clearly visible ;)
are marmelade

#9 Infiniumguy

Infiniumguy

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Premium Member
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 21:40

Did you try the Digiscoping scene mode? I believe it disables Auto Focus. I just tried it and no joy. It seems to fully disable focusing both manual and AF. It must depend on the focus on the telescope or spotting scope you hook to. Sorry, I’m no help, but I thought I’d pass along what I tried.

#10 Infiniumguy

Infiniumguy

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Premium Member
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 21:42

When I was shooting using manual focus this morning the camera acts like it’s trying to focus, but in fact it did not change my focus distance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic