The Leica Forum uses cookies. Read the privacy statement for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    OK, understood.

Photo
- - - - -

Questions about purchasing an IIIc from Facebook seller

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 johnbuckman

johnbuckman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 15:32

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

I stumbled across a local woman selling what appears to be a 1949 IIIc. I'm not very familiar with vintage Leica so I thought I would ask the forums opinion on how I might approach this. She is local so I could likely stop by and run some tests. Outside of actually loading cilm and shooting a roll, what are some quick mechanical things I should look out for?

Attached are two images from her listing. She is asking for $300 USD. 

I saw a sticky post about asking asking for valuation but it was locked and I could not see how to reply. If this information is all covered elsewhere, I apologize, please point me in the right direction!

Attached Files

#2 jaapv

jaapv

• Moderators
  • 51,974 posts
  • LocationBehind a Red Dot
  • City / Ort:Hellevoetsluis

Posted 12 July 2018 - 16:24

The forum does not do valuations, that is true, but for 300$ you can hardly go wrong.

Jaap

WWW.JAAPVPHOTOGRAPHY.EU

Posts in blue bold font are made as a moderator

Leica user since 1976

If you're not right... turn left.

#3 wlaidlaw

wlaidlaw

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Premium Member
  • 14,079 posts
  • LocationLewes, UK and Tourtour, France
  • City / Ort:Tourtour, France and Sussex UK

Posted 12 July 2018 - 16:51

A few quick things to check:

1) Are the blinds, seen when you remove the lens flat and wrinkle free (this is a quite expensive replacement)

2) Do the slow speeds work properly - wind the camera on and set the main speed dial to 30-1 (change shutter speed always after winding on - no need for film in camera), then gradually reduce the speed on the secondary speed dial on the front of the camera, firing the shutter off and winding on at each slower speed. It is common for the slower speeds to be sluggish but make sure the blinds are not sticking half way across. You should probably factor in having to have a CLA (Clean, Lubricate and Adjust) at around $250 into your thinking, as unless it has been serviced recently, the old lubricant will need cleaning out and replacing with modern non-oxidising/non-drying lubricants. 

3) Check for fungus in both rangefinder and viewfinder. This often manifests itself as a ragged appearance around the edge of the RF patch or fogging of the view (more in the VF than RF)

4) Check that the focus lever under the film rewind is focusing the RF image. 

5) Check that moving the lens focus is operating the image convergence in the RF. If image convergence is not perfect at infinity (at least 1000 metres away) or vertical convergence is off, don't worry too much as these are both fairly easy adjustments. I find the older Barnack cameras easier to adjust than the modern M's. 

6) Use a torch to look down into the slot the film goes into once you take the bottom cover off to make sure there are not torn bits of film in there. This is not uncommon if people have either not been trimming the film leader correctly or using the shiny card method of inserting untrimmed film. Search on the forum for methods of loading film into Barnack cameras. 

Wilson

PS On the lens, the best way to detect fungus is to shine a UV torch or light through the lens (cheap LED UV torches are a few dollars on Amazon). Fungus shows up well with UV light when it can be difficult to see with visible light or light from an incandescent source. W

Edited by wlaidlaw, 12 July 2018 - 16:54.

#4 mikemgb

mikemgb

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Premium Member
  • 2,719 posts
  • City / Ort:St. Louis

Posted 12 July 2018 - 17:26

That looks like a nice set, I would certainly buy it.

In the USA you can get a CLA and the shutter curtains replaced for $210, I just had my IIIa done.

"Your life is a story, make it a good one"

#5 jaapv

jaapv

• Moderators
  • 51,974 posts
  • LocationBehind a Red Dot
  • City / Ort:Hellevoetsluis

Posted 12 July 2018 - 21:02

I would buy it unseen for that price. The filters alone cover most of the purchase price, the camera looks condition A+. So what if it needs mechanical attention?

• wlaidlaw and Universalb50 said thank you to this

Jaap

WWW.JAAPVPHOTOGRAPHY.EU

Posts in blue bold font are made as a moderator

Leica user since 1976

If you're not right... turn left.

#6 wlaidlaw

wlaidlaw

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Premium Member
  • 14,079 posts
  • LocationLewes, UK and Tourtour, France
  • City / Ort:Tourtour, France and Sussex UK

Posted 12 July 2018 - 21:42

I would buy it unseen for that price. The filters alone cover most of the purchase price, the camera looks condition A+. So what if it needs mechanical attention?

Jaap, 

I would agree. My list of checks are more for post purchase. It is particularly important to check for the shredded bits of film, as these can jam the shutter and damage the blinds. I found about a 5cm long thin strip of the lower edge of the film, torn off halfway across the perforations, sitting in the bottom of my model III. It was a nightmare to get out and I had to borrow a pair of alligator surgical forceps from a doctor friend to get it out. He uses them for removing stuck objects from children's tracheas, when he is doing a locum on accident and emergency. Far better than what the national health supply. See photo below

Wilson

PS I have bought my own pair now - £7 from Fleabay. 

Attached Files

Edited by wlaidlaw, 12 July 2018 - 21:44.

• schattenundlicht said thank you to this

#7 Reini

Reini

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 788 posts
  • City / Ort:Vienna

Posted 12 July 2018 - 21:46

It may look like this in the camera, for example

https://www.l-camera...-quälen-sollte/

• wlaidlaw said thank you to this

#8 johnbuckman

johnbuckman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 20:15

You have all been more than helpful, thank you so much! I'm in talks with her right now. I will absolutely report back if I purchase it and once again when I develop some film!

• wlaidlaw and mikemgb said thank you to this

#9 earleygallery

earleygallery

Ebeneezer Goode

• Members
  • 16,661 posts
  • LocationLondon
  • City / Ort:Gtr London

Posted 13 July 2018 - 21:00

Agree, just buy it and have a CLA done if necessary. Can't go wrong.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

cameravw