Every film stock made today catalogued by emulsive dot org

Steve Ricoh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Part 5 (of 7) is here https://emulsive.org/articles/every-single-film-stock-still-made-today-part-5-oriental-to-rollei (the earlier volumes are cross referenced).

I wasn't aware of so many, having been told film is dead.

Not dead at all, but it needs nurturing to continue to live on for generations to come.

• Like 4

Always wished to have the no longer available and hard to find Rollei Infrared 400 film. It has a much wider IR sensitivity up to 820 nm than the still available Ilford SFX 200.

Rolled 400 infrared is available in the UK from Silverprint and other suppliers. I bought some a week ago and developed a roll today (Rodinal 1:25 for ten and a half minutes).

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Rolled 400 infrared is available in the UK from Silverprint and other suppliers. I bought some a week ago and developed a roll today (Rodinal 1:25 for ten and a half minutes).

Since I don't live in the UK, it doesn't make sense for me to order from there in the small quantity I need it for. But thanks for the info!

I read the JCH article, looked good.

Having done a heap of I/R in the past on film, I was eager to try some again more recently, and used Rollei SuperPan 200. OK, not true I/R, but pretty handy, and available.

Maybe try some of that as well.

Gary

cool site :) interesting results

https://www.oneyearwithfilmonly.com/film-dating

Part 5 (of 7) is here https://emulsive.org/articles/every-single-film-stock-still-made-today-part-5-oriental-to-rollei (the earlier volumes are cross referenced).
I wasn't aware of so many, having been told film is dead.
Not dead at all, but it needs nurturing to continue to live on for generations to come.

I use Rollei 400S IR film both in 35mm and 70mm, where it is currently the only game in town other than the very occasionally made and absurdly expensive Ilford HP5 (about 4 times the price for a 100 foot roll of 70mm type 2 perforated as the Rollei film at around £310 against £80. Although the 400S is described as an IR film it is more of a daylight film with extended red spectrum sensitivity and works perfectly well as a panchromatic daylight film. I am confused by all the different 400 ISO B&W films Rollei offer under different names. I just have a suspicion they may all be the same basic stock. 

Whereas the Emulsive work is useful, it would be much more useful assembled into a single downloadable PDF file. I would happily make a Paypal contribution to download such a useful information source. 

Wilson

• Like 2

I use Rollei 400S IR film both in 35mm and 70mm, where it is currently the only game in town other than the very occasionally made and absurdly expensive Ilford HP5 (about 4 times the price for a 100 foot roll of 70mm type 2 perforated as the Rollei film at around £310 against £80. Although the 400S is described as an IR film it is more of a daylight film with extended red spectrum sensitivity and works perfectly well as a panchromatic daylight film. I am confused by all the different 400 ISO B&W films Rollei offer under different names. I just have a suspicion they may all be the same basic stock. 

Whereas the Emulsive work is useful, it would be much more useful assembled into a single downloadable PDF file. I would happily make a Paypal contribution to download such a useful information source. 

Wilson

EM could well be interested, maybe send him a message. (He's active on Twitter, and of course at emulsive.org)

EM has got back to me to say he will certainly consider issuing the entire list of current film stocks as a single PDF, once they are all done, updated and corrected. 

Wilson

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Many thanks for the latest instalment. I fear that TASMA from Kazan in Russia may be no more. I was recently trying to contact them to buy 70mm film. Their website has been down for some time and they are not replying to emails either, and I have tried both in English and Russian. I hope it is just a glitch, as they are the only folk making 70mm type 2 perf film in a medium speed film (100 ISO). Apparently they used to fill 70mm cassettes for you if you sent them to Kazan, which saved a lot of faff. I have around 12 70mm cassettes so can easily send a few off. 

Wilson

this one ? https://filmphotographystore.com/products/35mm-bw-film-svema-tasma100-1-roll

Many thanks for the latest instalment. I fear that TASMA from Kazan in Russia may be no more. I was recently trying to contact them to buy 70mm film. Their website has been down for some time and they are not replying to emails either, and I have tried both in English and Russian. I hope it is just a glitch, as they are the only folk making 70mm type 2 perf film in a medium speed film (100 ISO). Apparently they used to fill 70mm cassettes for you if you sent them to Kazan, which saved a lot of faff. I have around 12 70mm cassettes so can easily send a few off. 

Wilson

That is the NK2 film, which they also used to make in 70mm dual perforated type 2 (Type 1 has smaller and more spaced perforations and is a copying film used to make prints from 65mm movie film, leaving space for the audio tracks). Another Combat Graflex user said he used to send TASMA his empty cassettes which they then filled for him. 

Rollei IR 120 from Alma, Wisconsin looking South-West. Part of the Driftless Zone.

Image Here

Used IR here to penetrate the persistent haze that rises from the Mississippi River here. Normally one cannot see the bluffs on the horizon.  (I live at the bottom of the far left bluff on the horizon.)

Historical aside: The towering smoke stacks are being removed as part of the destruction of the coal firing power plant,

Edited by pico
  • Like 3