m9 First 35mm Lens Advise

bussta

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all, just purchased a new to me mint M9-P with new sensor & little over 100 shutter actuations, so obviously am very pleased.

I now have the task of looking for lenses for it, have already covered the 50mm by getting the new CV 50 1.5, but am struggling to make a decision when it comes to 35mm.

I can't really afford a 35 summicron - let alone summilux, so was wondering on any advise for the next best thing as it were, been reading a lot about the 35mm 7 Artisans which looks good but seems to suffer from bad barrel distortion.

Anyone have experience with the CV 35mm 1.4 Nokton?, the reviews i've read say it's very soft/overly vintage looking.

I suppose I am looking for a nice balance between a classical look and modern sharpness that is still relatively fast, as a nice smaller package.

Thanks in advance for any feedback/suggestions

Thanks, does the Skopar still allow for a shallow DOF? also how does it compare to the "cheap in leica terms" Summarit 2.4?

The Summarit plays in another league, compared to the Skopar.

I owned the Summarit 2.5/35; a great lens, but my Ultron 1.7/35 is better in every case.

So I sold the summarit ...

I liked the Skopar as a small and cheap street lens; today I would go with the new 7artisans 2/35 for this.

• Like 2

The Summarit plays in another league, compared to the Skopar.

I owned the Summarit 2.5/35; a great lens, but my Ultron 1.7/35 is better in every case.

So I sold the summarit ...

I liked the Skopar as a small and cheap street lens; today I would go with the new 7artisans 2/35 for this.

Thanks

Have you tried any 28mm lenses on the M9?, am also wondering about a cheap 2nd hand Elmarit perhaps as an option instead of a 35, are the 28mm frame lines still visible in the M9 finder do you know?

The M-9 has the 28mm frame lines although if you wear glasses you may have to move you face / eye to see them. W/O glasses, typically seen all at once.

When I had the M-8.2, I had both the Cosina Voigtlander 28/1.9 and 28 Summicron to provide my preferred 35mm FoV. The Summicron was superb, the Voigtlander nearly so, at wide open for both. Stopped to f/5.6 they were functionally the same. When I moved on to the M-9P, I sold the Summicron and still have the Voigtlander.

• Like 1

If you [...] want to go with a Leica lens, the Summaron 35 mm 1:2.8 is a nice classic lens.

It is!

If you happen to come across on of those at an acceptable price then don't hesitate to snap it up. But—don't waste your time tracking one down. The Summarit-M 35 mm ist at least as good and easier to find, new or used. It comes in two versions, 1:2.5 and 1:2.4, but despite the apparent difference in nominal speed they're exactly the same lens, just in different barrel styles.

The before-mentioned Voigtländer 35 mm 1:1.7 VM also is a worthwhile alternative, especially when your other lens also is a Voigtländer.

Edited by 01af
  • Like 1

Is this M9-P your first Leica M rangefinder camera ever?

If no! better stop reading my post. (But then your question puzzles me).

If yes! I'd use the 50mm as the only lens all summer long and decide then what focal length (and also what model) to have later on in order to complement the 50mm - by renting/lending one (or 2 or more) to find out in practice what floats your boat, rather than ask other people, whose photos, interests and procedures you don't know.

Probably you'd know by then, that it is M-rangefinder & manual focus that suits you and your photography best

versus auto-focus, which is in use with 99,9...% phototographers in the world.

Not only only 110 years old Cartier-Bresson, but thousands of amateurs have gotten most of what they wanted only with a 50mm lens.

Or with only a 35 mm lens. But you have one very good 50mm lens and by knowing that one well first, you'll greatly progress

Edited by tri

If you happen to come across on of those at an acceptable price then don't hesitate to snap it up. But—don't waste your time tracking one down. 

There seems to be a very nice condition 35mm Summaron f/2.8 at Red Dot Cameras. The price is good considering it's from a reputable dealer... and the price of this lens seems to be on the way up. To be honest I would snap it up myself if I did not already have one :-)  

Edited by ianman
  • Like 1

Is this M9-P your first Leica M rangefinder camera ever?

If no! better stop reading my post. (But then your question puzzles me).

If yes! I'd use the 50mm as the only lens all summer long and decide then what focal length (and also what model) to have later on in order to complement the 50mm - by renting/lending one (or 2 or more) to find out in practice what floats your boat, rather than ask other people, whose photos, interests and procedures you don't know.

Probably you'd know by then, that it is M-rangefinder & manual focus that suits you and your photography best

versus auto-focus, which is in use with 99,9...% phototographers in the world.

Not only only 110 years old Cartier-Bresson, but thousands of amateurs have gotten most of what they wanted only with a 50mm lens.

Or with only a 35 mm lens. But you have one very good 50mm lens and by knowing that one well first, you'll greatly progress

Thanks, it is my first "own" Leica, i've been lucky enough to borrow some models from Leica, but they almost always came with the 35mm summicron, but as you quite rightly say I will use the 50 and see how I get on, the fact I can play with the frame selector will help me see what I would gain by having a 28 or 35 on it and can then make a decision later down the line.

Thanks for everyones input

Thank you for your kind answer :)

Maybe also play with the focusing ring on your 50mm A LOT (passing by cars practice as often as you can) - finding out if putting a tab on, if it doesn't already have one, benefits you. This way, before lifting the camera to the eye the fingers have already aproximately set the distance.

Costs nothing on a digi-M, the M2-MP long-time users didn't have that learning-curve lifter back then.

Personally I would llok out for a well priced Summarit. There's little not to like about it and unless you absolutely must have a faster lens it should fulfil any ambitions over size and image quality that most of us would be satisfied with. If you look around and are prepared to wait until one comes up then you should be able to pick one up fairly reasonably.

• Like 1

If you do stick with 35mm and want to go with a Leica lens, the f/2.8 Summaron is a nice classic lens. Many say even better than it's contemporary Summicron.

it’s beautiful. I am lucky enough to own one

Where are many reviews of Nokton 35 1.4. Google it. Big threads on RFF. 

I know two photogs who gave up on this lens. Too much of the focus shift. But many are OK with it.

I'm periodically thinking of getting one as most affordable fast M lens with fine ergonomics. 

7A is sometimes funky lens. Some are saying too funky on digital, but fine on BW film. It helped to drop used Color Skopar 35 lenses. They are cheaper than new 7A 35/2 now.

And they just no surprise, no funk, sharp, neutral bokeh lenses. And tiny.

I owned Ultron 35 1.7 but .... It is take your time lens. No focus tab and no way to add it on VM version.

My next to only lens on M-E is Summarit 35 2.5. 

• Like 1

The M-9 has the 28mm frame lines although if you wear glasses you may have to move you face / eye to see them. W/O glasses, typically seen all at once.

When I had the M-8.2, I had both the Cosina Voigtlander 28/1.9 and 28 Summicron to provide my preferred 35mm FoV. The Summicron was superb, the Voigtlander nearly so, at wide open for both. Stopped to f/5.6 they were functionally the same. When I moved on to the M-9P, I sold the Summicron and still have the Voigtlander.

Are you shooting it Winogrand style, with external VF? 

I had Elmarit-M 28 2.8 III and optically it was just awesome on M-E, but blocking too much of VF. Sold it, but can't do without 28mm, purchased 28 1.9 and it is same problem again. 

Are you shooting it Winogrand style, with external VF? 

I had Elmarit-M 28 2.8 III and optically it was just awesome on M-E, but blocking too much of VF. Sold it, but can't do without 28mm, purchased 28 1.9 and it is same problem again. 

so the small Elmarit 28mm blocks the VF? It looks same size if not smaller than the 35 summicron?

so the small Elmarit 28mm blocks the VF? It looks same size if not smaller than the 35 summicron?

The 28 Elmarit ASPH is at least as small as the 35 Summicron. The earlier non-ASPH 28 Elmarit are much larger.

I have the latest ASPH version and it is extremely compact.

In any case, use the 50 for at least 6 months, then consider something wider.

Enjoy!

J :)

• Like 1