Thinking of Investing In the Leica S system

Coppereye1960

At last I’m allowed to post again. Think there is a limit when you first sign up.

This what I like about Leica forums it’s like we are all sat in a room chatting. I’m always reluctant to join forums because they normally end angrily.

So I’ve decided against the Hasselblad. For me I like the fact that I’m continuing to use lenses that are some of the best if not the best out there.

There was a comment ( I’m replying on my phone so I can’t see who made it ) about the S006 having just one AF point. I come from a Canon background especially the 5D range. The first thing I did on the camera is to turn of the other AF points to leave only the centre. I know there is a chance of losing focus but if I felt it was going to be a major issue I might narrow the aperture slightly.

There are a number of areas I don’t like photographing ( they don’t interest me ) - Glamour, Babies ( under 2 ) and big Ansel Adams type landscapes. So I wouldn’t be using the S for a landscape. I love portraits both inside and outside and off the cuff street and inside and outside planned portraits of fashion I will light and the detail is important. I shoot the occasional Wedding and I also shoot local designer’s dresses and the detail on these is so important. So the S wins over the SL. I use the M240 with the 50mm Summilux or 90mm Summicron APO for all other work. For my own work I love the Monochrom and Q.

I think it might come down to money at the end of the day. I am more likely to invest in lenses than the body so the 120mm macro and the 70mm CS lenses are the priority and let the cost of these determine the S body - that sounds like a plan right?

• Like 1

I think it might come down to money at the end of the day. I am more likely to invest in lenses than the body so the 120mm macro and the 70mm CS lenses are the priority and let the cost of these determine the S body - that sounds like a plan right?

The two lenses I use most are the 70mm and the 120mm, which is the Contax 645 iteration used with the Leica C adapter. If money is a consideration, consider this option. The lens would cost you in the range of $500 and the adapter probably three times that, unless you find a used or demo one, as I did through Leica NY for about $1000, That opens opportunities to expand into the Contax 35mm, the lovely 80mm (which now goes for close to what the Leica 70mm costs), the less than impressive 240mm and the 350mm behemoth. For me, the 120mm has been worth the price of the adapter. It is just a splendid piece of glass - though is manual focus. Outstanding macro capabilities with this lens as well. May I also suggest the split focus screen. Makes manual focus a breeze.

Good luck.

David

May I also suggest the split focus screen. Makes manual focus a breeze.

Except when using the 30-90 zoom at the long end of the range, as the screen requires a minimum amount of light to avoid blackout. The slower S006 (compared to the 007) exacerbates this issue.

Jeff

Except when using the 30-90 zoom at the long end of the range, as the screen requires a minimum amount of light to avoid blackout. The slower S006 (compared to the 007) exacerbates this issue.

Jeff

Jeff,

Interesting observation. I do not have the zoom, but I noticed the same phenomenon today while shooting with the Contax 240/Mutar 1/4 combination. The bottom of the sphere was blacked out. What causes that?

David

Jeff,

Interesting observation. I do not have the zoom, but I noticed the same phenomenon today while shooting with the Contax 240/Mutar 1/4 combination. The bottom of the sphere was blacked out. What causes that?

David

Less light comes through the screen with smaller aperture lenses, typical of telephotos, or in the case of the 30-90, at the slower long end.  Half the screen will go black as a result.  It's not limited to Leica, but I believe related to the nature of the mechanism and the angled light path.  Leica Miami warns buyers of the split screen concerning this issue.  Otherwise, I prefer this type of screen, similar to my SLR days.

Jeff

• Like 1

The contax 120mm sounds interesting. When I was using Canon I used their 80mm f1.8 lens which was around £400 and the quality difference was 3x the price. I know that’s a small price compared to Leica Lenses - I mean a £10k price tag on the new 75mm - who would pay that? Actually If I had the money I would!

But I do like playing with different lenses I had a M39 adapter for my 5Ds and used to buy a few old Russian Jupiter lenses - really quirky look.

As I said in an earlier post I will invest in Lenses not bodies unless there’s a good reason. The S will be a long term purchase ( assuming Leica keep to their policy of changing their mounts once every 80 years ) chances are that I will look for an S2 or a used 006 as a backup. My “proper job” was in IT and whenever I did any support work my first job was to take a backup.

How do the Contax lenses compared to the corresponding Leica?

Basic Zeiss vs. Leica color rendering. The Contax are quite sharp, but being older lens designs, wide open, there is a fair amount of CA in the OOF regions (except the 120, which is APO). I was happy to use the 35 and 140 while my S lenses were off having their motors upgraded. The Contax 120 is a great lens, but it is MF only, and I don't MF well on the (006) - some people do. On the (007) with magnified live view, it works for me.

--Matt

Less light comes through the screen with smaller aperture lenses, typical of telephotos, or in the case of the 30-90, at the slower long end.  Half the screen will go black as a result.  It's not limited to Leica, but I believe related to the nature of the mechanism and the angled light path.  Leica Miami warns buyers of the split screen concerning this issue.  Otherwise, I prefer this type of screen, similar to my SLR days.

Jeff

Does the microprism screen work with the 007's live view? I was about to order one, but thought I'd double check to make sure that the screen is compatible. 

Edited by Agent M10

Does the microprism screen work with the 007's live view? I was about to order one, but thought I'd double check to make sure that the screen is compatible.

The screen is compatible with all the S models for use as a manual focus aid. Always best to discuss options with a reputable dealer and, better yet, to try before buying. The standard screen (stock with camera) and split screen are interchangeable, and can be changed by the user with extreme care.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QB5j3JmdyUM

Jeff

• Like 1

The only head to head I can speak to is the 35mm. I bought the Contax first and shot very happily with it until I heard the siren song of a Leica Summarit that was very well priced, and I felt I could not live without it, which of course was not true. So the 35mm Contax is one stop slower than is leica equivalent, works flawlessly as a native lens with the adapter, goes for about 25% of a used Summarit, has probably hit the depreciation trough and has an auto focus mechanism that does not crap out. Truth be told, I could easily live happily with it, but just had to have the leica glass....

As above, I think the 120mm is a marvelous lens and have no urge to replace it with its Leica equivalent. True, as Matt says, it is manual focus. But I am mostly a tripod guy, especially with a longer lens. The OVF with split screen makes focusing very easy. Much as love the S, but it is not a run and gun rig.

The 240mm has been the weak link for me so far. It is capable, but not in the same league as its Contax siblings. I had a hankering for a long lens earlier this year and came close to getting the Hasselblad adapter for the 300mm. I even looked at the Contax 350mm which weighs in at about 8 lbs. So I spent a few hundred and got the 1.4 Mutar for the 240mm. I have not worked up any images yet.

The Contax 80mm appears to be headed for cult status. I have never shoot it. But it has a very unique signature. Prices have doubled in a year or so.

Hope this helps.

David

• Like 1

Apologies if I sound like I'm selling the 120 S lens too hard. I am a walk-around-and-look-for-interesting-captures (i.e. lazy) photographer, and find the 24, 70, and 120 just magnificent. The 100 is also terrific, but more portrait oriented. Anyway, with the 120 S....

25979341984_a6aafb32cb_h.jpg

On the other hand, with the Contax 140:

40441002822_42ac1a6d9e_h.jpg

--Matt

Edited by mgrayson3
  • Like 5

T

For me, the 120mm has been worth the price of the adapter. It is just a splendid piece of glass - though is manual focus. Outstanding macro capabilities with this lens as well. May I also suggest the split focus screen. Makes manual focus a breeze.

Good luck.

David

Using the M series makes you have to get used to manual focusing. I still try to practice every week with the manual focus - build the muscle memory. At least it slows me down a little.

Had a look at the RedDot youtube clip about changing the focus screen - worries me a little I’m the guy who can take something apart and end up with screws over

The only head to head I can speak to is the 35mm. I bought the Contax first and shot very happily with it until I heard the siren song of a Leica Summarit that was very well priced, and I felt I could not live without it, which of course was not true. So the 35mm Contax is one stop slower than is leica equivalent, works flawlessly as a native lens with the adapter, goes for about 25% of a used Summarit, has probably hit the depreciation trough and has an auto focus mechanism that does not crap out. Truth be told, I could easily live happily with it, but just had to have the leica

David

That is a feeling I know well as well as everyone in this forum - I have a Voightlander 35mm f1.2 for the M the images it produces are good and have a nice feel but I still want the 35mm Lux. I may look at getting the Contax 120mm and save up for the Leica. What’s so special about the Contax 80mm?

Apologies if I sound like I'm selling the 120 S lens too hard. I am a walk-around-and-look-for-interesting-captures (i.e. lazy) photographer, and find the 24, 70, and 120 just magnificent. The 100 is also terrific, but more portrait oriented. Anyway, with the 120 S...

--Matt

Matt you have made my decisions much harder BTW love the website and the images on it

Had a look at the RedDot youtube clip about changing the focus screen - worries me a little I’m the guy who can take something apart and end up with screws over

They can do it for you at a Leica store, e.g., Leica Miami or other service oriented shop.

Jeff

Using the M series makes you have to get used to manual focusing. I still try to practice every week with the manual focus - build the muscle memory. At least it slows me down a little.

That is a feeling I know well as well as everyone in this forum - I have a Voightlander 35mm f1.2 for the M the images it produces are good and have a nice feel but I still want the 35mm Lux. I may look at getting the Contax 120mm and save up for the Leica. What’s so special about the Contax 80mm?

http://www.photographyreview.com/product/lenses/medium-format/contax/carl-zeiss-t-planar-80mm-f2-if-645.html

Luscious rendering for portraiture. Google is your friend.

Fear not the focusing screen change. I used the RedDot vid and had no issues at all. 

And I frequently poke myself in the eye. Inadvertently.

David

• Like 1

I changed my S screen to split one, then after a few weeks change it back. It did nothing extra for me other than darker and affect my regular shooting.

It slow me down more than regular screen. Which I can manual focus any time without recompose. Worst is I can’t rely on split image for critical focusing because it is difficult to get split image perfect match, it also has some tolerance.

For f2.5 glass, regular screen is perfect.

Change screen itself is straight forward and is easier than change D810 or DF screen.

• Like 2