Thinking of Investing In the Leica S system

Coppereye1960

The two lenses I use most are the 70mm and the 120mm, which is the Contax 645 iteration used with the Leica C adapter. If money is a consideration, consider this option. The lens would cost you in the range of $500 and the adapter probably three times that, unless you find a used or demo one, as I did through Leica NY for about $1000, That opens opportunities to expand into the Contax 35mm, the lovely 80mm (which now goes for close to what the Leica 70mm costs), the less than impressive 240mm and the 350mm behemoth. For me, the 120mm has been worth the price of the adapter. It is just a splendid piece of glass - though is manual focus. Outstanding macro capabilities with this lens as well. May I also suggest the split focus screen. Makes manual focus a breeze.

Good luck.

David

David

I had the split screen on my S006 and didn't like it. I prefer the normal screen on my S007.......but like everything it's a choice.

Later

Neil

The 120mm S macro lens is the best lens I have used for any format, and I have used a lot....optically it is totally beyond reproach. It is heavy and a bit slow to focus and it does not go to 1:1, but the pictures it makes are to die for -- no CA, great bokeh, sharp at every aperture, and a good, versatile focal length. The 100mm sounds really appealing, but at the price I just could not justify it considering how good the 120 is. I wish they had done a 55 or 60mm f2 instead! 

P.S. I had the microprism screen and found that the AF sensor was more accurate than I was. The AF in the S is very accurate...more accurate than I am, and my eyesight is still quite good. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The 100mm renders really nicely, especially for portraits but I find it hard to focus - hunts more than the other lenses. During portrait shoots, I often start with the 100 but then, a bit frustrated from a less then optimal “hit rate”, I usually reach for the 180 which focuses more reliably. Meanwhile, the 120 is a bit slower to focus but doesn’t hunt as much as the 100. And yes, the 120 is the most perfect lens optically that I have ever used.

hunts more than the other lenses.  Meanwhile, the 120 is a bit slower to focus but doesn’t hunt as much as the 100. And yes, the 120 is the most perfect lens optically that I have ever used.

I had a sigma 70-200 f2.8 for Canon EF and that used to hunt terribly between 70mm and 100mm.  I suspect that it was the one I had not a common fault of the Sigma 70-200mm.

I have been out quite a bit for the last couple of days and have taken the Q with me - its the take everywhere camera I have been looking for for around 30 years.  What I noticed was that about 80% of the time I had it set to manual focus.   I think I have got so used to manual focussing by using the Ms that my muscle memory is set to manual focus.  

I'm in the UK and am struggling to source the Contax adapter inside the EU.  I can source one from B&H for about £2k and a 120mm Contax for around £900 from Greece.  To actually buy a Leica 120mm used will cost me £4k. Im think for the extra £1100 I may as well buy the Leica as It is a reasonable investment.  

The 100mm renders really nicely, especially for portraits but I find it hard to focus - hunts more than the other lenses. During portrait shoots, I often start with the 100 but then, a bit frustrated from a less then optimal “hit rate”, I usually reach for the 180 which focuses more reliably. Meanwhile, the 120 is a bit slower to focus but doesn’t hunt as much as the 100. And yes, the 120 is the most perfect lens optically that I have ever used.

I haven't had that trouble with mine. It nails the focus as fast as the 70mm or 35mm. 

I'm in the UK and am struggling to source the Contax adapter inside the EU.  I can source one from B&H for about £2k and a 120mm Contax for around £900 from Greece.  To actually buy a Leica 120mm used will cost me £4k. Im think for the extra £1100 I may as well buy the Leica as It is a reasonable investment.  

This 120 is listed at £2600 at http://ffordes.com/product/17082416391481

The 100mm renders really nicely, especially for portraits but I find it hard to focus - hunts more than the other lenses. During portrait shoots, I often start with the 100 but then, a bit frustrated from a less then optimal “hit rate”, I usually reach for the 180 which focuses more reliably..

I have had the S180 for a while and use it with the close up attachment Leica Elpro-S 180mm in the studio. Very useful for the portrait work.

Yevgeny

• Like 1

Well I’ve gone and done it! Red Dot Cameras in London - a great shop with extremely knowledgeable staff, had a S-E (006) with a 70mm f2.5 Lens set for about £8k less than the individual prices by a long way and it has all of its Leica Guarantees.

The next thing ( once the wallet has recovered ) is the 120mm Macro-S which will be a used item. I have a Pentax 645 SMC 120mm macro with a Pentax 645D ( the hedgehog ). I can see an adapter for the Pentax 67 or Mamiya 645 but not the Pentax 645 - is there one available?

• Like 1

Well I’ve gone and done it! Red Dot Cameras in London - a great shop with extremely knowledgeable staff, had a S-E (006) with a 70mm f2.5 Lens set for about £8k less than the individual prices by a long way and it has all of its Leica Guarantees.

The next thing ( once the wallet has recovered ) is the 120mm Macro-S which will be a used item. I have a Pentax 645 SMC 120mm macro with a Pentax 645D ( the hedgehog ). I can see an adapter for the Pentax 67 or Mamiya 645 but not the Pentax 645 - is there one available?

Congratulations.............looking forward to seeing some of your pictures

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies if I sound like I'm selling the 120 S lens too hard. I am a walk-around-and-look-for-interesting-captures (i.e. lazy) photographer, and find the 24, 70, and 120 just magnificent. The 100 is also terrific, but more portrait oriented. Anyway, with the 120 S....

On the other hand, with the Contax 140:

--Matt

The combination 24/70/120 is very good in my eyes. I finally got them all three for very, very reasonable prices (none being a CS lens, though). Even 24/70 is a good walk around combo for me, much like a 21/50 on the M. the 24 is a bit difficult to source, but the 35 Contax is clearly an option, as maybe are the HC wide angles - which I haven't had the chance to try.

I have made excellent experiences with some Contax lenses (two of which I owned already and couldn't earlier decide to sell ...) and recently I got an excellent offer on a HC100 with Adapter. My one and only CS lens now.

• Like 2

Congraz, I think you should get the Contax 645 adaptor and play with the Contax lens. They have very good resolution, albeit there's some CA issue that can be easily fix due to the age of the lens design. Their zoom lens is very good (45-90)

• Like 1