Any AF lens with IQ of the Leica 50s?

plantagoo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Folks,

are there any AF lenses that come close to the extrordinary image quality of the Summicron 50, the Summilux 50 ASPH and the APO-Summicron 50 (of course the Noctilux - but it‘s unmatched with its 0.95 aperture anyway)?

I‘m talking about 50mm fullframe equivalent - so 35mm on APS-C.

Hope you understand what I mean... ;)

TIA

Greetings

Erik

Edited by plantagoo
  • Like 1

None of the present-day SL or TL zooms will disappoint. Nor, may I add, the PanaLeica 4/3rd Vario-Elmarits.

Thanks a lot. Do you really think that zoom lenses can match the IQ of primes? I thought it‘s common sense that primes are always better (exspecially the Leica M primes). But I never had those you mentioned - mostly because I don‘t like to shoot with zoom lenses.

Greetings

Erik

Given their size and speed, primes are often better.

Although to some extent that idea dates back to when zooms were young and still being figured out (60s-80s). And depends on where in a zoom's range one tests it. A 50-150 zoom may not do as well at 50mm as a 50mm prime, but a 28-90 may do just as well at 50mm (but won't have f/2 or f/1.4, and will be a lot larger). Just depends on what the lens designer chose to optimize.

The Leica-R 70-180 f/2.8 APO (1995), for example, outperforms the: 80mm Summilux-R, 90mm Elmarit/Summicron-Rs, 100mm APO-Elmarit-R(!), 135 Elmarit-R, and non APO versions of 180mms. But not the 135 APO-Telyt-M or 180 APO-Elmarit.

• Like 1