Missing spot metering

lburn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Does anyone know why it is not possible to spot meter on the Leica M10 unless you are using live view? I believe it is well known that the M10 tends to clip highlights (it certainly does in my experience) and accurate metering using the "expose to the right" technique is the best way, in my opinion, to control this. I have my exposure compensation routinely set to minus 1/3rd but this is nowhere near enough to deal with high contract situations. I realise that I could dial in much more underexposure in those situations but it would be much more convenient and quicker just to be able to take a meter reading off the highlight part of the image as with the spot metering facility.  I have taken same scene comparison shots with a good camera which does have spot metering and with the M10 set to centre weighted and the results are completely blown highlights on the M10. Could a firmware update introduce spot metering without needing to be in live view? I think it would be really useful.

The spot and multi-field metering meters off the sensor, hence the shutter needs to be open and that's live view so no firmware could change that.

The only thing you could do is make sure you have enough batteries and leave the camera in live view and spot whilst using the OVF.

I tend to meter from something that reflects similar to around 18% grey, eg. pavement, grass etc.

A centre-weighed exposure meter has a bit of a learning curve, but can be every bit as effective as a spot meter. For starters, take the camera off "A" and measure the parts of the scene that are crucial. Forget about playing with EV compensation. You'll never get beyond guesstimating, as you have found.