Anyone Tried One of These as a Camera Bag?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Might try looking at the Think Tank Retrospective Series 5 or 7 since they do not look like camera bags.

I've been using a Retrospective 5 for some years as my 'walking about doing touristy things' bag. Takes a body with lens attached plus two more lenses, cards, wallet, notebook etc etc.  If I'm hedging my bets about whether to use digital or film, it easily takes my M240 + 50mm Summilux and MP + 35mm Summaron and still has plenty of room for the other items (and extra films). Highly recommended.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The Retrospective series are good bags. I have a 5 and a 7 and the noticeable thing over many other camera bags is their robust construction and lightness, I feel like I want to take an extra lens compared with my Billingham Hadley Pro. I like an extra bit of room in a bag to carry other stuff, like a bottle of water or filter pouch, so with that in mind I'd say the 5 was good for a body and two lenses, and the 7 for two body's or bigger DSLR or medium format outfits.

Am I missing something here? I thought the OP was about bags that you wear on the hip. I see most answers are about shoulder bags, which is a completely different thing.

With respect to the original question: me seems the bag is too high, which makes it impossible or unhandy to wear on the front when you sit down for a coffee. I prefer wearing on the front because this makes a fast grab possible.

I don't know if they still make it but Think Tank did do a camera bag that can be converted either into a waist bag (bum bag, fanny pack), a shoulder hung bag, or a chest bag/back pack just by rearranging the straps.

Found it, called the Change Up

https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/speed-convertibles/products/change-up-v2

I have a ChangeUp V2

it looks like a camera bag, but it carries easily on the hip, I prefer to carry it like a backpack, with the waist strap done up too

Mine has space for an M240 with MFG and lens mounted, 3 other lenses, filters, lens cloth, lens caps and assorted other bits and pieces that seem to appear in a bag.

I can easily lash my Sirui T025X tripod or a jacket to the top, and I have a "RU Thirsty" on the side for a 1l water bottle.

The Retro7 is an excellent bag too, but lacks the changeability of the changeupV2 (which can be carried with the belt, over a shoulder, as a backpack or chest pack, using a combination of shoulder and waist straps

• Like 1