Anyone Tried One of These as a Camera Bag?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I like to travel light so when I saw one of these my eyes boggled!

Put the M 240 with 50 attached in compartment, 28 alongside and the 135 slips into the bottled water holder.

Any thoughts?

• Like 1

I just bought a Billingham Pola (looks similar but w/o bottle holder) and used it during a 5 day trip visiting some smaller cities with long history. My gear was M9, Summicron 35, Elmar 2,8/50 and 2 batteries. In addition the Pola handled an A6 moleskin note book, my mobil and leaflets from tourist info. Instead of the Elmar my Elmarit M 90 would also fit. The Pola is now my favourit for trips with 2 lenses! I own in addition the L2 and the Hadley Pro - I like them too but for different purposes.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't know if they still make it but Think Tank did do a camera bag that can be converted either into a waist bag (bum bag, fanny pack), a shoulder hung bag, or a chest bag/back pack just by rearranging the straps.

Found it, called the Change Up

https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/speed-convertibles/products/change-up-v2

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 2

They only work with the lightest and most minimal of kit, I know from my own experience that the OP’s link would not work for me for carrying the lens and camera outfit he describes and the filled water bottle would be the killer.

I have very narrow hips, which works against me with waist packs. Your body shape will dictate to a great extent how comfortably you can carry the load.

I’ve tried three different fell-runner’s wastpacks and I have a Think Tank Speed Freak shoulder/waist pack that, in theory, can be used solely as a waist pack. The reality is that it works far better as a cross shoulder bag with the waist strap there added for stability if needed. Put anything larger or heavier than, for example, a Fujifilm X100F inside, you’ll find gravity is not your friend and unless your body is pear-shaped, you’ll most likely give up on the idea and use something that does work without having to constantly hitch it up

Overall it’s nice idea, and can work with a small camera as long as you keep the overall load minimal and light weight.

Edited by Ouroboros

When I do carry a bag, I've always preferred beat up old shoulder bags from rumble / thrift shops that DON'T look like they'd be carrying $10,000+ worth of equipment

For lenses up to 90mm, here's a favorite solution:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Neoprene-Cooling-Beer-Can-Cover-Drinks-Bottle-Tin-Cooler-Sleeve-Holder-Black/152750876255?hash=item2390a9665f:g:b5MAAOSw8AhaP26J

Most of the time I sling the camera over a shoulder and wear a jacket with maybe 1 significantly different lens in a pocket.  50 on camera, 21/28 or 75/90 in pocket depending on location.

Small kit is fine most of the time

Happy shooting!

• Like 1

For a small bag, you could check out the Thinktank  Mirrorless series. I have the 30i model. It fits: my M9 and MP each with a 35 or 50 attached, a 90 , a 21, evf, plus stuff and even space for an iPad if I wanted. Not a bad bag 

• Like 1

I have struggled for years with various solutions for a small 2 lens kit for walking and yet comfortable to stop and have lunch or a coffee- I can across this. Sometimes I wish it was another 2 inches longer but I find this IS my bag for now.

Ona: the beacon , it’s well made-not amazingly well but it will work for a year or two for me.

It holds m240 with 35 f2 on camera (slightly tight) or without (lose some extra room) and 75 , and room to spare for some out in the field extras... filters, battery backup for iPhone, keys, etc.

BTW the over the shoulder is somewhat stealthy and you can even ride a bicycle with it on.

https://www.popphoto.com/beacon-lens-bag-from-ona-makes-classic-design-contemporary

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions / comments!

I'm still looking but have ruled out the one in the initial photo.....only fits waist up to 41 inches.  Hadn't thought about that issue until "body shape" entered the conversation.

Looked at diaper bags as ultimate "concealed carry" bag but couldn't find one with the HAZARDOUS WAIST logo.  :rolleyes:

The Pola looks real good, but which model number is the one that fit?  There are no camera stores in Biloxi anymore to try out the fit for myself.  May have to go to New Orleans for that.

As the search continues and when I buy something I'll do a review to maybe help others in the same predicament.

Billinham Hadley Digital is designed to carry a body with lens attached (lens facing down) with an additional two lenses, plus outer pocket for wallet, keys, battery, memory cards. It can also be configured to carry two M bodies with smaller attached lenses. Sounds ideal for your purposes.

e.g. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/507950-REG/Billingham_501333_Digital_Hadley_Bag_Khaki.html

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Billinham Hadley Digital is designed to carry a body with lens attached (lens facing down) with an additional two lenses, plus outer pocket for wallet, keys, battery, memory cards. [...]

That's convenient because loss or theft would all at once wreck your day.

• Like 1