How do you travel with film? + colour film recommendation

Just my 2c, I have never had an issue with my films in Wester Europe, incl France, UK, Spain, Luxembourg. However in Turkey and UEA, I didn't have an option to ask for hand inspection.

And as far as I know, they can't increase the intensity of Xray equipment, it is fixed. So what they do is, try to apply different algorithms to understand what the content is, ie. food, electrical, chemical etc.

I will travel to Thailand and Laos this October to see if they will allow me for hand inspection.

And as far as I know, they can't increase the intensity of Xray equipment, it is fixed. So what they do is, try to apply different algorithms to understand what the content is, ie. food, electrical, chemical etc.

I will travel to Thailand and Laos this October to see if they will allow me for hand inspection.

This is my understanding also, fixed intensity.

Please everyone, bear in mind that these machines are being operated by staff sitting next to them for hours on end, and then think about risk of X-ray damage!

If the operators see something odd, you will notice that they either send the bag through again or, more usually it is put aside and then someone asks you to stand with them whilst they unpack your bag with you asking you probing questions as they do so. 

I have never succeeded in getting security staff to hand search film. They will just insist their machines do not affect film, whatever ISO. Whereas I trust that the scanners in north America and most of Europe and places like Japan, will be well serviced and frequently tested, in other locations I am far less certain and I would not be at all surprised if the intensity was not wound up to give clearer pictures and damn the film or the scanners just deteriorate until they die. I recently bought a batch of the now rare 1600 ISO Fuji Superia colour negative film, delivered to my UK house. I decided not to take it back to France as at 1600 ISO, I feel it would not be improved by passing through a scanner. I tested Gatwick by arriving with all my films out of boxes and all in a clear plastic ziplock bag in January. They solemnly took them away from me to hand search and put them through the shoe X-Ray scanner. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw

I recently bought a batch of the now rare 1600 ISO Fuji Superia colour negative film, delivered to my UK house.

If you are looking for more, Wilson, I believe that one of the sellers on amazon.fr still has some:

https://www.amazon.fr/Fujifilm-Superia-Pellicule-Négatif-Monopack/dp/B00005QF7H/

My understanding is that Fuji withdrew all Superia emulsions apart from ISO 400 some time ago. The ISO 800 emulsion, packaged for the Asian market as Fuji Superia Venus 800, is still available in the UK from Nik & Trick in Folkestone:

https://ntphotoworks.com/shop/product/fuji-superia-venus-800-35mm-36-exposures/

The ISO 1600 emulsion, packaged for the Australian market as Fujicolor Natura 1600, was withdrawn earlier this year. I don’t know of any UK retailer with stock left, but there may still be some on the Continent.

Later,

John

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks John. I got my Superia 1600 from Fotomeister, where I now have an account. They are very helpful. I bought 24 rolls of Precisa CT100 reversal from them a couple of months ago and they did me a bulk purchase price. The Superia 1600 is not a film I use a whole lot, its grain is pretty chunky and I find it difficult to scan, which seems to accentuate the grain. It is good for taking the Bonfire parades we have in East Sussex in October/November. I am hoping that Nissin might have updated their firmware by then and I can buy a Leica SFC1 commander and the big Nissin MG10 hammerhead flash to use on my M7, CL and SL, otherwise it is the SF58. 

Wilson