Noctilux to EVF or not........

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You mean the multipurpose EVF that plops high on top of the T, the TL, the X(113) and the M10?

Jeff

M240 as well......yes thats the one. Fantastic piece of kit, life saver for people with triangulation and doggie knees :)

Neil

........what do the owners of the Noctilux prefer to use on the M!0??

Neil

Jeff......congratulations on getting the Noctilux. Did you get the 50 or the newer 75mm??

Neil

I love using Leica rangefinders more than any other system I've ever used but wouldn't be using them at all if were it not for the option of using an EVF.

exactly mate..

If the picture is good, viewer doesn't wonder what  gear was used to take it.

Exactly mate exactly............maybe a few years back I would worry about that kind of shit but lately I just like to go out and shoot for fun and to try and get the best picticute I can with the most little amount of fuss.......if sticking an ugly EVF on top of a camera helps nail a picture hell stick the EVF on. When I shoot my H6D100c it goes on a tripod period and if need be I use a cable release and mirror up...........ugly yes, but after a few Heinekens we can drink her pretty :) :) :) 

Neil

Exactly mate exactly............maybe a few years back I would worry about that kind of shit but lately I just like to go out and shoot for fun and to try and get the best picticute I can with the most little amount of fuss.......if sticking an ugly EVF on top of a camera helps nail a picture hell stick the EVF on. When I shoot my H6D100c it goes on a tripod period and if need be I use a cable release and mirror up...........ugly yes, but after a few Heinekens we can drink her pretty :) :) :)

Neil

Doesn’t matter to me, but based on this, why didn’t you keep your ‘ugly’ SL, which has a far superior EVF, which is weather sealed, and is basically the same size as the M10 with EVF accessory?

Jeff

Op, I too think that having an evf on an m body looks a little off, but it’s not the end of the world until you brought up the main reason to have your m10 as for its image quality and its beauty. Then you contradict yourself just for the sake of argument.

Regardless of the arguement about aesthetics, I was thinking about urging you to give the rangefinder a try. I found that it’s generally faster than the evf regardless of your eyesights. I’m not sure if I’m right, but I really think that in most situations, if one can focus with evf, one can focus faster with rangefinder. Evf has its place too. For me, it’s far superior when I do close-up with wide-open aperture and nailing focus is very critical, and when it’s very dark. Oh, evf is really difficult to use with low contrast lenses too, so by relying on the evf, you would have a lot of problem nailing focus on a lot of old Leica lenses.

• Like 1

Op, I too think that having an evf on an m body looks a little off, but it’s not the end of the world until you brought up the main reason to have your m10 as for its image quality and its beauty. Then you contradict yourself just for the sake of argument.

Regardless of the arguement about aesthetics, I was thinking about urging you to give the rangefinder a try. I found that it’s generally faster than the evf regardless of your eyesights. I’m not sure if I’m right, but I really think that in most situations, if one can focus with evf, one can focus faster with rangefinder. Evf has its place too. For me, it’s far superior when I do close-up with wide-open aperture and nailing focus is very critical, and when it’s very dark. Oh, evf is really difficult to use with low contrast lenses too, so by relying on the evf, you would have a lot of problem nailing focus on a lot of old Leica lenses.

In general I agree with what you've written except that the EVF has the advantage of offering 10x magnification that the RF/VF obviously can't, which is useful for nailing focus with lenses such as the Noctilux that have exceptionally thin depth of field.  Those of us with less than perfect eyesight will find the magnification extremely useful if they have the time to use it.

Pete.

• Like 1

In general I agree with what you've written except that the EVF has the advantage of offering 10x magnification that the RF/VF obviously can't, which is useful for nailing focus with lenses such as the Noctilux that have exceptionally thin depth of field.  Those of us with less than perfect eyesight will find the magnification extremely useful if they have the time to use it.

Pete.

Pete..........you nailed it, it helps me to nail focus with the Noctilux wide open and even though I haven't taken the 90mm apple out of the dry box yet I am sure it will help with that lens too

Neil

Focus hitting is critical, if you get higher hit rates with (EVF) do it. Your correct on chewing up battery. In the end don’t you want in focus photos- if so do what it takes to get there and don’t worry so much about tradition. You have a Leica , you don’t need anymore tradition, you need in focus photos.