Image Stabilisation Performance?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What is people’s experience with Image Stabilisation of the SL zooms on the TL2?

In my hands i don’t see much difference having it on or off. Tried all combinations of Video IS on/off and Photo IS on/off, thinking they might interfere with each other. But in neither case, having Photo IS on or off I see much difference and find the image shake in the viewfinder (visoflex) quite large, especially on my 90-280@280 and difficult even to frame the shot right. On my SL trying the same thing with IS on gives me very quiet viewfinder and easy framing.

Using firmware 1.4 on TL2 and 3.4 on SL. I don’t know if I can see the firmware in my lenses anywhere. They may have been updated on either SL or TL2.

Is there anything I might be doing wrong? Anyone else having similar experiences? Had hoped I could use my TL2 as 1.5x extender for my 90-280 Lens.

A 280 on an APS-C sensor is a 400 mm equivalent approx. That is a big rig. On top of that you are using a small and light camera. Despite the (limited) stabilization of the 90-280 it takes technique, training and experience to get good results. Practice, practice, practice.

• Like 1