Meet up in York

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely Saturday 1st September for meet in York, let me know what time is best for everyone and I will sort out a place to meet up. If anyone wants to have something to eat in a pub I will have a look at somewhere that does decent bar meals.

Edited by Geoff Marshall

Advertisement (gone after registration)

We would drive from Hull, then use the Park and Ride into York, so 11am would be fine for us. 

For anyone who is driving, and does not know York, there are a good number of P&R sites around the ring road, with a connecting bus service, and these are far preferable to parking in the city. Parking is free there, but you have to pay the bus fare. (Note that if you have a pensioner's bus pass, you still have to pay a reduced fare.) The only problem is that they close at early evening, so if you are planning an evening meal or theatre visit in York, you have to go and get your car, and then park it in the city. But evening parking is much easier, so that is what we sometimes do.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been in the Coppergate Centre for a while (Jorvik Centre is indeed there) but I rather think there's a Patisserie Valerie there (not to be confused with another branch of the same chain not that far away). So that might do, depending on how many of us there will be. I've read mixed reports of this particular branch of Pat. Val.  though, and I have no direct experience, so I mention it as a possible convenient location as much as anything.

Edited by masjah
  • Like 1

I haven't been in the Coppergate Centre for a while (Jorvik Centre is indeed there) but I rather think there's a Patisserie Valerie there (not to be confused with another branch of the same chain not that far away). So that might do, depending on how many of us there will be. I've read mixed reports of this particular branch of Pat. Val.  though, and I have no direct experience, so I mention it as a possible convenient location as much as anything.

Yes, John, according to the Coppergate Centre's website there's a Patisserie Valerie in Unit 7 on this site map.

Pete.

• Like 1

I would imagine the Jorvik Centre is well signposted on those Brown attraction signs. We hope to be there, but since confirming our attendance there's been an illness in the family and we may not be able to make it. If we don't I would wish everyone a great day with wonderful light.

Cheers, Tom

• Like 2

Please be aware that, at present, Northern Rail are scheduled to undergo strike action for six consecutive Saturdays starting today; best check who is the service provider on your proposed route if you are going by rail!

• Like 1

Please be aware that, at present, Northern Rail are scheduled to undergo strike action for six consecutive Saturdays starting today; best check who is the service provider on your proposed route if you are going by rail!

Oh dear. :(  Welcome to the havoc that those of us south of London have been continually experiencing for the past 4 years.  So cynical for RMT to strike over a bank holiday too.  :(   I hope it ends quickly for you and if they're striking for 6 days consecutively it sounds like it might because the RMT staff won't be able to sustain that level of loss of income for long I shouldn't think.

I'll be travelling via the 'new' LNER (London North East Railway) which is publicly run again for the moment so I'm happy to say that the Northern Rail strike won't affect me.

Pete.