Leica SL 16-35

Timkr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been backorder on this with B&H for a couple of months. I asked them how many they are getting in and was told they have yet to receive any. This is incredibly disappointing. Is there a problem with production? Anybody know what’s going on? Thanks

I received mine in the US in early April. It seems, in every way, a good companion to the 24-90. Yes, you are paying quite a bit to get an extra 8mm angle of view. But I’m enjoying the extra range and flexibility.

Had a call yesterday from one of the dealers where I am still (apparently) on the waiting list to apologise and say that they still have no date for new stock of  the 16-35mm.

As nobody has posted recently saying they have received one it does indeed look like there are manufacturing issues .....  :(

Had a call yesterday from one of the dealers where I am still (apparently) on the waiting list to apologise and say that they still have no date for new stock of  the 16-35mm.

As nobody has posted recently saying they have received one it does indeed look like there are manufacturing issues .....  :(

There’s one for sale in Buy & Sell - it’s even located in the UK

• 2 weeks later...

Had a call to say my 16-35 had arrived ......... 

As I had already sourced one direct from Germany, Clifton Cameras (UK) may now have one going spare (if not already spoken for) if anyone is desperate .......  :rolleyes:

They are a Leica Boutique and I am extremely surprised that Leica has left them out of the supply chain till this late in the game. 

• Like 1

I had put my name down on some wait lists in Leica stores around the US.  I received mine at the end of June from Leica Store Boston.  A week later I received a call from Leica Store Washington DC asking if I was next on the list and they had one...  I said thanks but got it already.  Oddly enough, Leica Store Miami (my local store) hadn't received any, as of a week ago or so.  But it does look like they are trickling out...  Hopefully not a long wait.

I had put my name down on some wait lists in Leica stores around the US. I received mine at the end of June from Leica Store Boston. A week later I received a call from Leica Store Washington DC asking if I was next on the list and they had one... I said thanks but got it already. Oddly enough, Leica Store Miami (my local store) hadn't received any, as of a week ago or so. But it does look like they are trickling out... Hopefully not a long wait.

Might be better protocol to call dealers where you listed to advise of purchase so they could save the trouble and adjust expectations.... for them and for other customers.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Might be better protocol to call dealers where you listed to advise of purchase so they could save the trouble and adjust expectations.... for them and for other customers.

Jeff

I can't say I feel that charitable.

If Leica changed both its distribution policy and gave some advance warning of stock appearing then the need to spread your bets would be largely eliminated. 

Whilst I have sympathy for the retailers, with most new Leica stuff in short supply it should not be difficult to shift it ....

If Leica changed both its distribution policy and gave some advance warning of stock appearing then the need to spread your bets would be largely eliminated. 

Whilst I have sympathy for the retailers, with most new Leica stuff in short supply it should not be difficult to shift it ....

My theory is that Leica in each country wants to keep its little red sign up on the maximum number of windows.  After all, Leica are wholesalers, with the extra problem of having some sort of closer connection with the Leica Stores and Leica Boutiques that they have to give extra attention to.  So it's up to us, the retail customers, to snap up the extra units that get spread around to small stores in the hope that they will continue to offer a Leica presence.  Those are the stores with too few Leica customers to maintain a wait list.  It's a weird approach, because the wait time for the loyal Leica store customer on a list seems to be longer than for those are proactive and shop around.  Or who check B&H or Adorama for signs that a new product is available and snap it up in the next few seconds.

My theory does not explain how all those Summicron SLs get to Hong Kong.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

I can't say I feel that charitable.

I didn’t say not to spread your bets, only to suggest a follow up with the courtesy of a phone call after the need is met. If the distribution policy were more fair and flexible, I’d be opposed to getting on multiple lists in the first place. But that’s just me.

As it stands, I’m not generally an early adopter, and if I want something that much, I make calls to small dealers once items have begun shipping. No list needed, and the item is generally in hand while others here on lists complain for months after. But that need is rare; it’s just a hobby for me, not business or all that important.

Jeff