Missing focus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I find with the 55-135 I like to use a shutter speed of at least 1/250. My hands are a bit shaky due to health issues. The attached was taken at 1/500 and if you zoom in you will see it is very clear and focused. The 18-56 I try to use at 1/125 or faster if possible.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments, I will try it on a tripod just eliminate camera shake although I have a shot taken with the 55-135 at 1/80th that is pin sharp, however it was at closer range. Today we went out and i will look through the various shots, I used MF and AF ... 

But what AF settings?

Multifield focus can cause problems when the camera chooses a part of the scene closer than you want. I can't see that in either of your shots, though, unless these are crops. Make sure you use spot or single point for your testing.

I tend to use 1/f as my lower limit to avoid camera shake, though I am careful with handling and don't have shaky hands.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

There is just a little learning curve with the CL. Your wooden statuette above has been shot at 135mm which is equivalent to 200mm FoV so better choose a shutter speed of about 1/250s at least instead of 1/125s. Also the CL needs some sharpening in PP to show its full potentialities. I exaggerate the effect here to show what i mean. Otherwise it is a pretty straightforward camera if perfect OoC jpegs at default settings is not what you are after.

i-Tj4JQtt-XL.jpg
  • Like 1

The easy answer is to buy your Leica from a local Leica dealer, bring it back in, and have him go over it with you.

Perfect, if you have a local dealer; but large swathes of the non-coastal US don’t have a Leica dealer. Most of Colorado, for example.

• Like 1

With respect, I have been shooting many years, and also over 10 years with Leica So I do understand the workings of the camera, I am also familiar with how it should perform. The 55-135 is of cause a stellar lens, but mine is acting strangely, it is hit and miss, even on a tripod, so I think I will return the lens to Reddot Camera or even send it in to Leica because there is definitely an issue with this lens.

I do not shoot in JPG, I have a phone that does that perfectly. The CL is locked in DNG, Spot Focus. With regard to the shutter speed, YES, I know it is best to have at least 2x focal length I have shots at 1/640 and greater that show similar issues, and yet also I have a shot at 1/80th that is crispy sharp OOC (DNG).

The other zooms seem to be alright, my main concern is with the 55-135.

Here is a shot hand held at 1/80th (resized only in LR). As you can see it is doing EXACTLY what I expect from a Leica lens.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Anyway, I appreciate all the suggestions of help and solutions and the effort in trying to solve the issue I'm having.

Thank You.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If it is not performing the way I and others  illustrated and you are confident of your technique, which I don't doubt for a moment, you should certainly have your dealer and/or Leica look into it.

• Like 2

I think I have found the problem there was some kind of 'matter' (grease or stuff) that was just under the mount but on the contacts of the lens mount. This has been cleaned off by myself using a bud very carefully and some ISP alcohol.

It must of been causing intermittent issues. I'm not sure when how or why this happened but it has and so far my cleaning 'seems' to of done the trick. 

Maybe even a loose connection and the fact I have had a fiddle might of sorted it, who knows? but anyway, happy it seems fixed, baffled it had any issue at all.

Should I notify Leica about this and still send it off? I'm not really a 'send it back' kind of guy, especially as it now seems to be sorted, hasn't missed a shot since I done it.

I have since cleaned all the contacts on both cameras and all lenses I own.. 

• Like 1