Camera straps revisited

david.kize

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Most of the discussions about camera straps for the M10 have focussed on either esthetics or on rubbing around the camera lugs.  There are also claims that some straps (such as the Rock n Roll limited edition M strap) are more comfortable because they are flexible and make the camera seem lighter.  I have not tried the Rock n Roll strap, but I may buy one in the future because elasticity is important to me.

My focus in this posting is purely about comfort when walking around for a long time with a Leica M camera--especially with a 75mm Summicron or heavier lens.

I have both the Leica strap that came in the box with my new M10, and also the vintage brown Leica strap that matches the Leica half case.  Both straps are so thin around the neck that my camera feels heavier to me than walking around with a full size DSLR.  So I am always shifting the camera around--sometimes around my neck and hanging down to my stomach, sometimes hanging directly down from one shoulder (but I worry about the smooth strap slipping off my shoulder), and sometimes cross-chest to the other shoulder (which I find too constricting and uncomfortable).  In contrast, if I carry my Billingham M camera bag loaded with the M10 and three lenses plus accessories, I don't even notice the weight--because the shoulder strap is wide and comfortable. It disperses the weight and does not slip from my shoulder.

When I use my Nikon D800 or D500, I use a broad, rubber padded strap where the rubberized material is sewn into canvas with loops for expansion.  My straps are Op/Tech USA Pro or Super Pro straps.  They are comfortable and disperse the weight, and I can comfortably all day wear my camera hanging around my neck or down from one shoulder.

So . . . I bought the same kind of strap today for my M10.  I am going to try it, even though it is not aesthetically balanced with the retro feel and look of a Leica rangefinder.  I may put the strap on and leave it there only briefly before reverting to a "real" strap designed for a Leica.  Whether I keep the strap on my camera or not, I am going to bring it along--even if it stays in my duffle bag or backpack--on my next two trips.  That way, if I get annoyed enough at the discomfort of a beautiful, thin, leather strap, I can put on a serious strap where I won't feel the camera weight at all.

Do any of you use broader, flexible, comfortable straps in lieu of the beautiful, thin leather kind?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Take a look on this:

https://www.eddycam.com

Very interesting...thanks for sending.  I note that the straps designed for smaller cameras including the Leica are recommended to be only 33mm to 35mm wide and do not have the rubber insert between the pieces of leather.  The wider, cushioned straps are recommended for larger cameras, including DSLRs.  I like small size that is a classic look for a Leica rangefinder--but I also want comfort, especially when a heavier lens is mounted.  I have created a non-slip surface for keeping a strap on a shoulder--I spray with a rubber compound.  

I got this for my Q in leather. Very soft and comfortable: https://www.shopcecilia.com/collections/leather-camera-strap

Amy

Interesting ... I will study these to see which models might provide the most elasticity or stretch to reduce apparent weight and be comfortable around the neck.

You spray a rubber compound on your shoulder???

LOL.  I spray the compound on the inside of the strap--where the strap would sit on my shoulder.  I haven't done this with a camera strap, but I have done it with a slim computer case, and it works very well to prevent slippage off the end of my shoulder.

I bought a Rock 'n Roll for my M10 and another for my Sony.

Quite simply the most comfortable strap I've ever used.

The give (elasticity) of the leather segments make the cameras feel lighter.

I got the longest variants, cross body, on shoulder or just hanging from the neck, all equally usable.

• Like 2

Hey now,

I recently went to Italy by myself for a full 30 days.  
I took my Leica M10, with 35 1.4 Summilux, and the longer "M" rock n roll strap (see attached picture).

I had this camera with me every day, all day -- I didn't take a camera bag or anything else.

The rock n roll strap is very comfortable, I really like it, and it wasn't in my way or too heavy (but I only had the .35mm).

It's a bit "thicker" than I'd like, and it's a bit "long" to deal with on a small Italian cafe table.

However, I would bundle some of the strap up on the table, and lay my camera on top of it (sort of like a cushion, for the camera -- see pic).

Hope this helps some.

-- Ed

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

Has anybody actually tried the Eddycam strap with a Leica M10 or other Leica M camera?  They recommend the 35mm (width of) strap  for the Leica M.  It has no rubber padding insert and is limited to 2.6 lbs. of camera-with-lens weight (my 75mm and 135mm lenses would be right at that weight limit).

I think that the 50mm (with the padding insert) that is wider and has a 7 lb. weight limit would be more comfortable.

I don't know if either would be as comfortable as the M10 Tie Her Up (Rock n Roll) strap.

I have probably wasted money on at least one strap (in addition to wasting money on my existing straps), because I ordered two straps yesterday (and I am still debating whether to cancel my first order so that I can potentially save money by trying out the straps sequentially).  

I ordered an Eddycam 50mm strap, and also a TieHerUp (Rock & Roll) M10 strap.  I will see if either is more comfortable than the Leica straps that I have tried.  I know the Op/Tech Pro big, wide, springy strap works for me, but it is large for a Leica and certainly not "Leica like".  But I don't care what it looks like, as long as I can stuff the strap with the camera and lenses into my Billingham M camera bag.  

For the Eddycam strap, I decided to pass on the unpadded 35mm wide strap designed for the M10 and similar sized cameras, and selected the padded 50mm strap because I thought it might be more comfortable.

Maybe I wouldn't have ordered the Eddycam strap, but I liked the beautiful neck and red hair of the woman that was (facing away) modeling an anthracite 50mm strap.  So I bought that strap.    :wub:  :D   The only difference was (and believe me, I inspected the photo of the model closely  :D ) that her anthracite strap had the same color on the inside, but Eddycam was out of stock on that one--so I had to opt for the natural color for the inside lining.  It's okay to let her have the strap with the good inside, because she will look better than me wearing it anyway. 

The things that I like the most about my existing Leica vintage brown strap are that it is small and folds well into my small camera bag, and that it is the same color as my Leica half case.  But I find that a non-stretchy, thin strap makes my M10 feel as heavy or heavier than my Nikon DSLR that is supported by my Op/Tech strap.

Edited by david.kize

I prefer the basic thin leather straps, but have several of the modern black Leica ones with the moulded-in wider panel, see picture

If you find carrying the camera around your neck all day too much, put it away in your shoulder bag until you see the next picture.

I prefer the basic thin leather straps, but have several of the modern black Leica ones with the moulded-in wider panel, see pictureattachicon.gif2E5BFB7C-8D82-426B-B6D5-2074518A26EE.jpeg

If you find carrying the camera around your neck all day too much, put it away in your shoulder bag until you see the next picture.

I think this Leica strap is brilliant for many practical reasons and I have acquired enough for all my bodies. However, I’m vain and have also bought good and bad leather straps from time to time, and especially when I’ve visited Hong Kong. Currently I’m using a thin and flexible Angelo Pelle leather strap which matches the leather case.

Edited by lucerne
  • Like 1