Camera straps revisited

david.kize

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi.

Fixed Soft Straps (red/black and brown) by @ybputro. He only sells them through Instagram. Fantastic quality. Very nice guy.

Greetings

Erik

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

R&R strap here! Love that music! And that strap  :) 

I fully agree what EddieCheddar (post16) says. I like to walk around with only the camera and possibly no bag. In this case it's very comfortable for a day long. In my opinion the only downside the strap is voluminous and takes much place when you put back the camera in the bag (more volume than the M10 itself!) or if you seat in a cafe or a restaurant and want to put the camera on a small table (but for this Ed found the solution!).

Because I'm used to wear the camera bandolier style across my body the original strap which came with the M10 is too short.

On my M7 (and other film cameras) I used also the Gordon straps, never tried them with the M10.

robert

Edited by robert blu
  • Like 1

Arte di Mano makes a strap in waxed cotton that is very comfortable. I comes in several colors and two lengths.

• Like 3

Hey there,

As my first post in this forum I can only recommend the Rock‘n‘Roll straps. Not only they´re the most beautiful ones, they are also extremely comfortable to wear all day long

Apart from that Evris and his guys are extremely friendly and also do custom orders. Shipment is superfast.

Thumbs up!

Cheers to all,

Tom

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Я долго искал свой пояс, я пробовал много вариантов. Я понял, что зимой удобнее https://www.barton1972.com/braided-v2-deep-ocean.html на длину 125 см, а летом Artisan & Artist ACAM-306 Я долго искал свой пояс , Я пробовал много вариантов. Я понял, что зимой удобнее https://www.barton1972.com/braided-v2-deep-ocean.html на длину 125 см, а летом Artisan & Artist ACAM-306

Edited by vi_chanceux

Been using these http://www.artisanandartist.com/straps/acam102.htm since they were being sold by Cosina under the Voigtlander brand.  Soft, comfortable, easy to wrap snugly around the camera for added protection when putting it in the bag.   Started out on my M6TTL's, been transferred to each successive M cameras I've owned, haven't frayed or shown any signs of wear after nearly 2 decades of heavy use. 

I like my Peak Design Slide Light straps. You can easily reattach them very easily using their connectors. I sometimes attach them to the tripod plate and back to the sides depending on the size of the lens I'm using. The same straps can be used on their pouches too.

Here's an in-depth analysis of each type.

peak-design-slide-vs-slide-lite-vs-leash

DSC8996-1-1080x720.jpg

They have my vote too.

I like my Peak Design Slide Light straps. You can easily reattach them very easily using their connectors. I sometimes attach them to the tripod plate and back to the sides depending on the size of the lens I'm using. The same straps can be used on their pouches too.

Here's an in-depth analysis of each type.

peak-design-slide-vs-slide-lite-vs-leash

DSC8996-1-1080x720.jpg

When you can, please post how you are attaching the Peak Design wrist strap to the M10. Have you noticed any collateral damage to the M10 body from the Peak Design plastic fastner and metal PeakDesign symbol ?

The Peak Design straps are very clever and comfortable indeed. They make good products that are design-focused. I personally enjoy using thin leather straps and my favorites by far were made for me by Justin Waldinger who runs Tap & Dye in NYC. I sent him some specs on what I was interested in and the straps he made were 100% perfect. I have given some thought to trying one of those rope straps Leica offers but I worry that they're too thick / stiff and I'd wind up hating them. 

Why mess with a good thing, right?

• Like 1

How astute this thread is! I wonder why photo credits do not include strap brand. Imagine the enhancement of a Pulitzer with a mention of the strap! Boggles the marketeer's mind.

I can imagine telling my agent that I failed an assignment because the strap was just not quite right, asking for a do-over, of course. Forgive the inelegant post. I really need a better keyboard wrist support.

Edited by pico

How astute this thread is! I wonder why photo credits do not include strap brand. Imagine the enhancement of a Pulitzer with a mention of the strap! Boggles the marketeer's mind.

I can imagine telling my agent that I failed an assignment because the strap was just not quite right, asking for a do-over, of course. Forgive the inelegant post. I really need a better keyboard wrist support.

The Pulitzer award ceremony would start to sound like the Academy Awards. 

The award ceremony at long last is nigh.  The press corps is scrumming for position as a limo pulls up and deposits the Pulitzer recipient onto the red carpet, his/her well brassed black M10 with a black 35 Summilux ASPH mounted is suspended at the right side from an until now unidentified strap worn diagonally across the chest.

Shouts of "who are you wearing?" erupt from the press.  "Harry Benz" is the reply.  A kerfuffle erupts as reporters feverishly text their editors.  

The entire world of photojournalism was certain that the strap was an Artisan & Artist ACAM-280 in Italian leather.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I just discovered that Hawkesmill makes a nice series of straps that won't break the bank:

https://hawkesmill.com/product-category/camera-straps/

I understand and respect niche market camera staps, but I would never want my name/identity associated with such a product. It is like marketing sex toys. Ech!

Edited by pico

I understand and respect niche market camera staps, but I would never want my name/identity associated with such a product. It is like marketing sex toys. Ech!

Please elaborate - I don't understand. 

In your view, have camera straps somehow become equals with sex toys in terms of respectability?  Or has Hawkesmill as a company descended to gutter level?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Here is my solution for my Leica M10s and Fuji XT2 and XH1 cameras using the quick release system from Peak Design.

I used to use Peak Design straps and their excellent Everyday Messenger bag. However, I sold the Messenger bag and instead use my Billingham Hadley Pro, f1.4 and Hadley One bags, depending upon the gear and outing. My usual carry for two M10 bodies and 4 Leica primes is my well used Hadley Pro.

Now, I only use the Peak Design quick release system which I have adapted to my favorite straps from Rock N' Roll and Gordy. I purchased the Leica SL Rock N' Roll straps with the leather strip on the end designed to attach to the SL's rectangular eyelets. I happily discovered that the strap end fits perfectly into the eyelet of the Peak Design clip. I use the 125cm SL strap and I was able to order the standard length 120cm M strap with the leather strips on the ends instead of the standard split rings. Rock N' Roll didn't charge any extra for this modification. Sweet!

The newest version of the Peak Design fastener has a thin enough cable to allow it to threaded through the body eyelet without using split rings. This eliminates the possibility of scratches or wear on the body's finish. You can buy the Peak Design fastener and clips from the usual dealers. They are relatively inexpensive.

My Fuji body eyelets require the use of the split ring supplied with the camera to which I attached the Peak Design fastener.

Here are photos of my set up.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 7/8/2018 at 7:34 PM, david.kize said:

I have probably wasted money on at least one strap (in addition to wasting money on my existing straps), because I ordered two straps yesterday (and I am still debating whether to cancel my first order so that I can potentially save money by trying out the straps sequentially).  

I ordered an Eddycam 50mm strap, and also a TieHerUp (Rock & Roll) M10 strap.  I will see if either is more comfortable than the Leica straps that I have tried.  I know the Op/Tech Pro big, wide, springy strap works for me, but it is large for a Leica and certainly not "Leica like".  But I don't care what it looks like, as long as I can stuff the strap with the camera and lenses into my Billingham M camera bag.  

How did the story end? Did you keep the 50mm Eddycam or the Rock & Roll?