How adventuresome are you with your M10 around water?

david.kize

Advertisement (gone after registration)

..... some people value gear more than pictures, and some people value pictures more than gear.

The two are not incompatible. Using the right gear for the job values getting the job done as much as it might value protecting the gear ;). My A7II in a housing is perfectly usable as a fully waterproof camera above water as well as under water and as such can be used in any wet conditions to shoot where other cameras might fail. Unlike the purpose built waterproof cameras it can use most of the interchangeable lenses designed for it. The SL would lend itself to a housing but requires more lenses to be viable. For most cameras the housing costs more than the camera (including the A7II, but in the SL's case it might be different :D .

Leica X-U (Typ 113) ?

Too expensive for such a limited camera as far as I'm concerned. I've handled one and its nice, but for not vast amounts more money I can have a much more versatile system camera and housing for underwater use. The one camera I would say really deserves a housing is the S - I can get one built (cheap accessory for the S :D ); I just need an order for 50 to make it worthwhile.

I have been using my M10 and other Ms in the rain without issues by shielding it with my hand or something else between shots and by putting it into the bag when not using it.

Sea conditions, particularly in a small vessel, are a completely different issue because of the spray and the risk of complete submersion and also due the salt in the water. Because of this, I mostly use a completely waterproof camera or waterproof pouch when kayaking. When conditions permit (i.e. calm weather) I may instead take a bigger camera in a waterproof bag and take it out only when taking pictures. This is very rarely an M, because changing lenses in a kayak is really a nightmare - at least for me. Anything you drop on the spray deck may easily end up on the bottom of the sea. So I usually end up taking a camera with a zoom lens and keep the camera/bag strap attached to something in the kayak or to myself. Or at least make sure that the waterproof camera or bag will float. And, of course, I always use a lens protector or other filter that is easy to keep clean of all the salt water stains.