Leica SF 20 flash: Why not?

1. It's discontinued and has been for a while. Leica aren't going to test and/or recommend a flash this old.

2. It's from the film era. So NO TTL. No preflash metering in A mode. So it's a manual flash only with only 3 settings. A mode *may* work, depending on the camera.

3. It needs expensive non rechargeable batteries that are harder and harder to find. Plus they're shocking for the environment when disposed of.

It'll probably work. As long as your expectations are realistic. For me, any flash without bounce and/or tilt will never find its way into my bag. Nor will one without rechargeable batteries.

Gordon

• Like 1

Where is it not recommended? In the manual? I've used Nikon flashes on mine without any issues

All flashes that can be controlled manually  or automatically will work. It would be a long, long list if they were all to be recommended.

It makes sense only to name the flashes that support Leica's TTL system.

• Like 1

1. It's discontinued and has been for a while. Leica aren't going to test and/or recommend a flash this old.

2. It's from the film era. So NO TTL. No preflash metering in A mode. So it's a manual flash only with only 3 settings. A mode *may* work, depending on the camera.

3. It needs expensive non rechargeable batteries that are harder and harder to find. Plus they're shocking for the environment when disposed of.

It'll probably work. As long as your expectations are realistic. For me, any flash without bounce and/or tilt will never find its way into my bag. Nor will one without rechargeable batteries.

Gordon

Many thanks for your answer. Your point 3 is the main reason that convinces me to discard that flash.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I purchased a used SF24D for my occasional flash use and it works perfectly well with CL. You can find this flash for very reasonable price on line. But if you need a much more sophisticated flash for more serious work, you have to pay the price for SF 40 or the new one 60.

The point about batteries is valid for the SF24D as well.

And what do you think about the SF 26 Leica flash? It is small and tiltable, seems perfect for trips.

Is it available yet or is a discontinued model?

Edited by hector_jorge

And what do you think about the SF 26 Leica flash? It is small and tiltable, seems perfect for trips.

Is it available yet or is a discontinued model?

The SF26 is a rebadged unit made by Metz (no. you can't buy one with a Metz badge that works on the CL properly). It should work just fine on the CL. If you really want tiny, it's the best choice. It's very small indeed.

Personally I prefer the slightly larger and much more powerful SF40 (made by Nissin).

Gordon

• Like 2

The SF26 is a rebadged unit made by Metz (no. you can't buy one with a Metz badge that works on the CL properly). It should work just fine on the CL. If you really want tiny, it's the best choice. It's very small indeed.

Personally I prefer the slightly larger and much more powerful SF40 (made by Nissin).

Gordon

So, as you said, the one with Metz brand printed doesn´t works on the CL like the Leica version does? Is this the reason of the different price of both? 

Would you tell me then what are the differences between the two versions when used on the CL? As the prices are very different, perhaps if the behaviour of the Metz branded isn´t very different, to buy it would be a good option.

Many thanks for your kindness.

The electronics are different.

Any off-brand flash is not a good buy on a modern Leica, unless you have the option to use it on manual or flash-only automatic. No TTL, mostly no reflector zoom. IIRC (I'd have to look when I get home), the SF26 Metz has no manual options.

• Like 2

Another excellent flash that works is the Godox AD200 along with their trigger XPro, I used the Fujifilm version but it triggered the CL perfectly in Manual mode of course.

Very unlikely. Even if you were to use an old (i.e. more than thirty years) high-voltage flash, there were a few by Vivitar IIRC, it is likely that it has a high-voltage sync circuit. Ask Leica.

• Like 1