240 green banding along bottom of frames

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just sat down to an editing session, and I found green/black banding along the bottom edge of almost every frame I shot with my 50mm Summilux. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The shots with the 90mm Elmarit weren't affected.

Can't get it to do it again today.

Idk if it the camera was just handling the backlight poorly or if I have an intermittent sensor issue and need to send it in.

This is a real bummer. We're headed to Costa Rica at the end of the month. Looks like I have to choose between having green banding at the bottom of all my shots or not having my M at all while I'm there ... unless I can talk my wife into letting me pick up an M10, but I already know how that discussion is going to go.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You said it is not always there. Maybe little bit of experimentation is needed to find out when you get this. I will try 1)changing card 2)exposure difference 3)different lens 4) different light. Fluorescent vs other.

They look like diffraction pattern therefore my current guess is flickering lighting. Test the theory.

If the artifacts are limited to bottom then in worst case you can crop a little in PP. Talk to Leica for sure though.

Edited by jmahto

Not wanting to be an alarmist, but I've seen very similar symptoms in other brands. While I cannot speak with strong authority, I highly suspect this is a sensor on the way out. 

You mentioned Costa Rica. If it were me, I would secure another body to take. If this is indeed the sensor you could have 100% failure at any time. 

I just did some tests in my office, and it only seems to only happen on backlit shots with dark objects along the bottom of the frame when using the 50mm Summilux between f1.4 and f4. Doesn't happen at all if the camera is held in portrait orientation. 

Sorry to read of your dilemma.

If you have a wide angle lens, eg 24 / 28 mm,  you could crop the photos ie like what the Leica Q does,

to achieve equivalent of 50mm, for your trip to CR, and upon your return have the M240 sent for repairs.

I just did some tests in my office, and it only seems to only happen on backlit shots with dark objects along the bottom of the frame when using the 50mm Summilux between f1.4 and f4. Doesn't happen at all if the camera is held in portrait orientation. 

It is clear that there is something wrong here. That camera is not reliable enough to take on holiday. I would suggest again that you consult Leica.

I'd experiment with different shutter speeds - maybe some bounce and others don't - just to get through the trip

That it doesn't happen with 90 is baffling.  But if that's consistent - guess you'll have to use that lens or another kit

That's weird!