Buying advise for a used M9

Tinker55

Advertisement (gone after registration)

H

@ #12: My opinion: I don’t see the sapphire glass of the screen as a cosmetic gadget. It helps me to concentrate on picture-taking alone, and not needing to worry about getting my camera in and out of the bag without scratches.

I'm not a number.

Also I never wrote that the cosmetic differences are gadgets, just that IMO they are not worth the higher price.

Oh, and I also don't have a camera bag made of sand paper! I've had my standard M9 since in came out and although it's starting to brass nicely, there is not a single scratch on the unprotected screen.

• Like 1

M8: no thanks, too old technology

M9 / M9P / ME: well, I thought it had to be one of these

M 240: mmmm.... can get a new one for 4300 euro.... looks very interesting....

M 262: no, too much I don't need

M10: yes please... oh no, too expensive... will cause a divorce

Don't write off the M8 so fast. You can get them very cheap, easily under €1000 and they remain very good cameras, with a great CCD and very good for B&W and infrared if that's your thing.

For €2500 you should be able to find yourself a really nice M9 /M9P.

• Like 1

Sometimes I really, really hate the internet... :angry::angry::angry:

or, I should say: the overload of information you can find there...

or is it just me, getting distracted way too easily... ???

What's the case: while browsing I (obviously) came across other types of digital M's and here's my 1 penny for each:

M8: no thanks, too old technology

M9 / M9P / ME: well, I thought it had to be one of these

M 240: mmmm.... can get a new one for 4300 euro.... looks very interesting....

M 262: no, too much I don't need

M10: yes please... oh no, too expensive... will cause a divorce

I also noticed that nice looking M9's / M9P's with the updated sensor don't come cheap! I can only guess that that says something about these cameras...

The good thing (at least what I told myself) is that I "only" have to choose between 2 models (M9 vs 240)

The bad thing: I started this quest with a budget in mind of max 2500 euro for the body and max 1000 for a 35mm

The offer I got for a brand new set 240 & 35 Summicron is 6600 euro

Where did this all go wrong ???

I'm just writing this to help protect others from looking at the web way too long.

Just ignore me, personally I think I'm beyond help...

regards,

The confused Dutchman

If you’d have mentioned your budget in advance, maybe you wouldn’t have had too broad information.

Comparing the M240 with the M9 is like apples and oranges. The M240 is not an M, it was a hybrid and a compromise to serve people who couldn’t use their R lenses on digital. We’ve got the L mount at last, the M240 is obsolete

Edited by otto.f

H

I'm not a number.

Also I never wrote that the cosmetic differences are gadgets, just that IMO they are not worth the higher price.

Oh, and I also don't have a camera bag made of sand paper! I've had my standard M9 since in came out and although it's starting to brass nicely, there is not a single scratch on the unprotected screen.

Back in the day, when I was considering obtaining a pair of M-8 bodies, the single one item that tipped me over to the M-8.2 was the sapphire glass rear monitor. This also was a major consideration when I upgraded to my pair of M-9P bodies.

I had destroyed both Canon and Nikon screens in months, not even years, during my professional time with digital cameras. And these were company cameras that I could send to the respective professional services for expedited repair. When I retired and understood my digital Leicas would be serviced on my dime and with other than professional courtesy, I opted for the most durable rear monitor available. No regrets.

• Like 1

Back in the day, when I was considering obtaining a pair of M-8 bodies, the single one item that tipped me over to the M-8.2 was the sapphire glass rear monitor. This also was a major consideration when I upgraded to my pair of M-9P bodies.

I had destroyed both Canon and Nikon screens in months, not even years, during my professional time with digital cameras. And these were company cameras that I could send to the respective professional services for expedited repair. When I retired and understood my digital Leicas would be serviced on my dime and with other than professional courtesy, I opted for the most durable rear monitor available. No regrets.

It is only durable for scratches.

The additional protective screen does the same for 20$.

I have done it with cameras I used for years.

Edited by Ko.Fe.
  • Like 1

If you’d have mentioned your budget in advance, maybe you wouldn’t have had too broad information.

Comparing the M240 with the M9 is like apples and oranges. The M240 is not an M, it was a hybrid and a compromise to serve people who couldn’t use their R lenses on digital. We’ve got the L mount at last, the M240 is obsolete

?????

I take it you don't like the M240 but there seem to be quiet a few people who think different...

Funny enough I've been looking through the 2018 LUF Charity Book and was surprised by how many great pictures it contains made with a M240...

Anyhow, it's great we're not all alike; the world would be a boring place.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

?????

I take it you don't like the M240 but there seem to be quiet a few people who think different...

Funny enough I've been looking through the 2018 LUF Charity Book and was surprised by how many great pictures it contains made with a M240...

cur·mudg·eon

kərˈməjən/Submit

noun

a bad-tempered or surly person.

• Like 1

?????

Surely he is allowed to express an opinion without having to endure your condescending remarks in return. If you don't want other peoples advice or opinions, don't ask in the first place.

?????

I’m slowly getting the impression you’re internally contradicted yourself. You’re asking advice on an M9 (there are quite a few threads on this topic already btw) people are serving you here on that question and then you sort of start to defend the 240. You ask for advice, you get different answers and you’re commenting on the sort of chaos on internet. So why did you ask our advice and what did you expect in the first place? Edited by otto.f

I’m slowly getting the impression you’re internally contradicted yourself. You’re asking advice on an M9 (there are quite a few threads on this topic already btw) people are serving you here on that question and then you sort of start to defend the 240. You ask for advice, you get different answers and you’re commenting on the sort of chaos on internet. So why did you ask our advice and what did you expect in the first place?

For his sig it looks like he bought an M240. Strange decision, from the bunch it's the last one I would choose, but as he rightly put it, "we're not all alike".

• Like 2

I'll give it a go to explain; hope this clears the air; it never has been my intention to upset people.

When I started looking for a Leica, and based on initial reading, I was drawn to the M9; hence my related questions to the members of this forum. I'm convinced I got some good and honest feedback which I appreciate.

While reading on, and as I mentioned in my post from yesterday, being a bit overwhelmed by the amount of reviews, tests, etc. etc. I slowly started to appreciate some of the added functionality of the 240 compared to the M9.

This obviously is a very personal thing; I totally agree if other people have different needs / priorities.

Bottom line: I have ordered a (nearly mint) M240 and also bought my first Leica lens today.

I updated my profile accordingly and hope to enjoy the camera, and this forum, as much as possible.

That's all folks; hope there's no hard feeling but ultimately it's important for me to get "the right" equipment.

• Like 1

Yes I shouldn’t respond to people who ask for buying advices anyway, whether it be camera’s or lenses. I don’t understand these people anyhow, I’d never ask such a question on this forum. Good luck with your new toy!

I'll give it a go to explain; hope this clears the air; it never has been my intention to upset people.

When I started looking for a Leica, and based on initial reading, I was drawn to the M9; hence my related questions to the members of this forum. I'm convinced I got some good and honest feedback which I appreciate.

While reading on, and as I mentioned in my post from yesterday, being a bit overwhelmed by the amount of reviews, tests, etc. etc. I slowly started to appreciate some of the added functionality of the 240 compared to the M9.

This obviously is a very personal thing; I totally agree if other people have different needs / priorities.

Bottom line: I have ordered a (nearly mint) M240 and also bought my first Leica lens today.

I updated my profile accordingly and hope to enjoy the camera, and this forum, as much as possible.

That's all folks; hope there's no hard feeling but ultimately it's important for me to get "the right" equipment.

A wise decision. Good luck with it.

• Like 1

There's a great many details you have yet to provide.

Have you any history with a Leica?

Have you any history with manual focussing?

I've personally known many professional photographers in my 33 years as a staff photographer for a major metro daily in the USA who thought having a Leica would be cool, essentially assigning it to the status of photo jewelry. I got my first Leicas in high school, a IIIB I traded for a IIIC which then was supplanted with a IIIF. Only in my second year in university did I graduate to the M system. Many additions and some upgrades (ultimately downgrades, i.e., never trade a Wetzlar M4 for a Canadian M4-2) brought me to my trio of M-6 Classic bodies which I've had since ~ Y2K.

I wish you well with your acquisitions. In this day and age Leicas are no longer the sturdy long lasting bodies only needing a week away to be returned to Original Leitz Specifications and Tolerances. My own pair of M9-P bodies will be back in my hands this Thursday, after departing in mid-April for simultaneous sensor corrosion failure.

There's a great many details you have yet to provide.

Have you any history with a Leica?

Have you any history with manual focussing?

I've personally known many professional photographers in my 33 years as a staff photographer for a major metro daily in the USA who thought having a Leica would be cool, essentially assigning it to the status of photo jewelry. I got my first Leicas in high school, a IIIB I traded for a IIIC which then was supplanted with a IIIF. Only in my second year in university did I graduate to the M system. Many additions and some upgrades (ultimately downgrades, i.e., never trade a Wetzlar M4 for a Canadian M4-2) brought me to my trio of M-6 Classic bodies which I've had since ~ Y2K.

I wish you well with your acquisitions. In this day and age Leicas are no longer the sturdy long lasting bodies only needing a week away to be returned to Original Leitz Specifications and Tolerances. My own pair of M9-P bodies will be back in my hands this Thursday, after departing in mid-April for simultaneous sensor corrosion failure.

Here you go:

I studied photography for 3 years after graduating from high school. Soon after, I realized that there wasn't much money to be made (at least not by me) in this line of business so my career landed my as a project manager in a large multinational.

During my study I mainly worked with 35mm film and 4*5 plate cameras; all MF as AF didn't even exist. Photography has always been a hobby of mine, so I've had a variety of different cameras over the last 40+ years. I started with a Fujica ST 701 followed by various Canon and Nikon cameras. My first digital was a Nikon D60. For a couple of years I also owned a Hasselblad 501 with digital back (also MF).

After my retirement a few years back I worked freelance for AirBnB and a couple of real estate agents. I got bored with that and now I will focus on photography "as a hobby"; no more, no less.

• Like 1

Tinker55--

Given your history my guess is you will revel and excel with your Leica. It is a slower more deliberate approach than nearly every camera made now demands. But if you have ever fit a film holder into a 4 x 5 camera then you'll not be surprised at the effort to use a Leica.

I reread my previous post to you and I hope it didn't sound malicious as it was offered in only the friendliest of terms.

I natively see in the FoV of a 35mm lens and heavily relied on a 28mm Summicron when I used the M-8.2, my first digital Leicas. When they were given-up for my current M-9P bodies, I sold both the 28mm and 75mm Summicrons. I suspect you will be very pleasantly surprised at the potential of your new lens. From my personal experience, I feel it pairs favorably with the 75mm Summicron. 

Share some pix when you are up and running with your new camera / lens.

--JSU

Edited by JSU
  • Like 1

I reread my previous post to you and I hope it didn't sound malicious as it was offered in only the friendliest of terms.

No offense taken; I'm a big boy  :)

and I do appreciate honest feedback, so I will share some pics once the camera has arrived and I've had time to take it out on it's maiden trip...

regards,

Erik

• Like 2