Will impending Nikon Mirrorless Affect Leica's Planning?

bags27

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The new Nikons look good.

My needs and desires are fully met by the Leica M-D and CL—and M, R lenses—that I have now. I have no need or desire to spend any money for a new Nikon.

I don't care whether the new Nikon is the same or better or worse than anything else. I care only that it is a good camera that promotes doing good photography in the hands of a photographer that buys one.

G

• Like 3

I heartily congratulate Nikon on this new release. Finally, some serious competition for Sony! The new Nikon MILC's tick all the boxes for me, and it even manages to be lighter than the A7R III. I will bet that the Nikon will be nicer to hold and have a better menu system than the Sony as well. Now just wait on the lenses. 

It’s the whole silly GAS game again... The crowd will rush to Nikon, the SL2 will leapfrog, the crowd will rush back, then Sony comes in, all on the merry roundabout. And not one better photo will be taken

I agree, in principle.

On the other hand, as the owner of a trunk full of Nikon F-bayonet glass, I am rather happy that Nikon now seems more likely to remain in the market for the hopefully far away day that my faithful D700 eventually packs in :)

• Like 3

My active gear is (1) Leica Q and (2) FF Canon DSLRs

I ordered the Nikon Z6 on the first day with adapter, 24-40/4.0, XQD card, XQD reader, 2nd battery : US$3200

I probably will cancel that order. The battery is small, the XQD cards very expensive, and the controls now appear quite foreign.

Canon Rumors today say that the new FF ML will come Sept. 5 at US$1999 - and a 24-70/2.0 upon announcement. I already own all the batteries and SD cards. I’m guessing the kit will be US$3500 +\-

I probably will go through with this and pray that a mount adapter for M lenses comes along.

I was ready to order the rumored Leica CM last June. Maybe it will come at Photokina. THEN the decisions ???

• 2 weeks later...

My active gear is (1) Leica Q and (2) FF Canon DSLRs

I ordered the Nikon Z6 on the first day with adapter, 24-40/4.0, XQD card, XQD reader, 2nd battery : US$3200

I probably will cancel that order. The battery is small, the XQD cards very expensive, and the controls now appear quite foreign.

Canon Rumors today say that the new FF ML will come Sept. 5 at US$1999 - and a 24-70/2.0 upon announcement. I already own all the batteries and SD cards. I’m guessing the kit will be US$3500 +\-

I probably will go through with this and pray that a mount adapter for M lenses comes along.

I was ready to order the rumored Leica CM last June. Maybe it will come at Photokina. THEN the decisions ???

Have cancelled my Z6 order.  Leica & Canon do very good things for me.

The Canon EOS R mirrorless ($2,300 with 30mp) will be on order tomorrow evening when stores are allowed to accept pre-orders.  Just the body and the lens adapter for all my Canon EF lenses.  The mount/flange look like adapters will be forthcoming for many wonderful lenses.  There will be a 50 Summicron in my collection some day!

• 4 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I cannot see any reason to buy the Leica SL over the Nikon Z7. This has to be a problem for Leica they have made a FF camera the same size as a Fuji GFX 50R. On all levels the SL is a white elephant Leica must know this they haven't even given it its own slot on this forum! The interesting thing is can they fix it or will they drop it. If I had to put money on it I think that they will drop it.

I wonder if they could fit a GFX size sensor in that body and then if you fit an L lens the body detect the lens fitted and crop accordingly. Conversely could they make a new L mount with larger coverage? Even if these changes were technical possible then this camera would be stepping on the toes of the S system.