R lens image thread.

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

SL2-S + Elmarit-R 180mm v2

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

Went shopping today

M-P w/Vario-Elmar-R 28-70.

• Like 6

I also have a Mk.2 ROM version of this lens and it is OK from the wide end to around 55mm but much longer than that, pincushion distortion starts to bite. Apparently it was only the wide end of the optical cell that was tweaked for the Mk.2 version. If I compare it with two of its contemporaneous competitors, the Zeiss Contax (built by Kyocera) 28-85 and the Rolleiflex (designed by Zeiss, built by Kirin) 28-105, it shows how far behind the curve Leica/Sigma were at that time on Zoom lenses. It was not really until the final series of R zooms, the 21-35, the 28-90 and the 80-200, that Leica caught up with the competition. At some point, I will probably buy the 28-90 to use on my R cameras. For my live view M cameras, the Contax or the Rollei work just fine with Novoflex and Fotodiox adapters. 

Wilson

41 minutes ago, wlaidlaw said:

It was not really until the final series of R zooms, the 21-35, the 28-90 and the 80-200, that Leica caught up with the competition.

I agree but let's not overlook the excellent but rare 35-70/2.8 Vario-Elmarit-R asph and 70-180/2.8 Vario-APO-Elmarit-R asph.

Pete.

• Thanks 1

Morning Light

• Like 6

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

• Like 2

• Like 5

Ferrania P30 ISO 80, Leica R9, 100mm APO macro lens.

• Like 5

1.4/80 @ F2.8 1/60sec 

Manual focusing for kids is quite challenging to me.

• Like 11

35mm Elmarit-R on M10. On-camera flash bounced off the wall. 

• Like 13

On 3/6/2021 at 11:08 AM, farnz said:

I agree but let's not overlook the excellent but rare 35-70/2.8 Vario-Elmarit-R asph and 70-180/2.8 Vario-APO-Elmarit-R asph.

In response to wlaidlaw's comment that "It was not really until the final series of R zooms, the 21-35, the 28-90 and the 80-200, that Leica caught up with the competition. "

The trio of Vario-Elmar-Rs (1:3.5-4 21-35 ASPH, 1:4 35-70 and 1:4 80-200, all ROM) have given me some excellent results on the SL1 with the Leica R-Adapter L, even to the point of transmitting the focal length to the camera and into the EXIF data.  They are not at all bad on film Rs either.  If you can't find the f/2.8 version of the 35-70, the f/4 is worth a look.  The 28-90 R lens is f/2.8-4.5 and looks (from the detail on the Leica Wiki) to be a more recent, quite different lens.  Certainly attracts a much higher price than the f/4 35-70.

14 minutes ago, John Robinson said:

The trio of Vario-Elmar-Rs (1:3.5-4 21-35 ASPH, 1:4 35-70 and 1:4 80-200, all ROM) have given me some excellent results on the SL1 with the Leica R-Adapter L, even to the point of transmitting the focal length to the camera and into the EXIF data.  They are not at all bad on film Rs either.  If you can't find the f/2.8 version of the 35-70, the f/4 is worth a look.  The 28-90 R lens is f/2.8-4.5 and looks (from the detail on the Leica Wiki) to be a more recent, quite different lens.  Certainly attracts a much higher price than the f/4 35-70.

The problem with the 35-70/2.8 is that it had a very small production run, and has acquired a cult collector status, which prices it completely out of proportion to any realistic value as a user's lens based on its actual specification. You could just as easily buy the later 28-90 lens. John's trio gives a very comprehensive outfit of excellent optical quality, though (purely personally) I would have the 28-90 rather than the 35-70/4 because of its greater potential for use on occasions when I can only take one lens with me. [I've got the 21-35, the 28-90 and then fixed 135 and 180.]

• Like 1

John, 

I totally agree. I am basically a wide angle man, so that is why I went with a Mk.2 28-70 rather than the technically superior 35-70/f4. If using it at 70mm, you just have to avoid long verticals as they come out distinctly bowed. OK on digital where I have a lens correction profile set up in Capture One but you are stuck with it on film, where I use it 90% of the time. When funds allow, I may start looking for a 28-90 but it will have to take its place in the queue after a 35 APO, on which I am currently suffering GAS :)

Wilson

• Like 1

In another thread about the new Leica APO-Summicron-M 2/35, there was a discussion about the benefits its minimum focusing distance of 30cm.  On an M-series camera this obviously relies on Live View but some are saying it is well-suited to the SL.  This led to a discussion about the Leica R-Series lenses that already some time ago would focus much closer than their M-Series cousins e.g. the Summicron-R 35, Elmarit-R 35 and Elmarit-R 28 (may be others).

Just for fun I tested my Summicron-R 35 on the SL, wide open and focused down to about 20cm.  Not artistic shots by any means but a bit of fun with my colourful Mexican crocodile.  The way the Summicron renders the out-of-focus parts of the image is quite charming.

• Like 4

Leica SL & R 70-180mm @F2.8

• Like 12

Summicron R 35/2

• Like 15

Elmarit R 90  ... (Nah am Meer/ Close to the sea)

• Like 7