R lens image thread.

jaapv

SL + Leitz Telyt-R 250mm f4

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

Summicron-R 2/35 on Leica R5 with Kodak Ektar 100.  Nothing here to take home and eat!

• Like 7

R8 DMR, Vario Elmar-R 21-35

• Like 12

Advertisement (gone after registration)

SL + Leitz Telyt-R 250mm f4

• Like 9

Just a shot from my garden.

Canon 70D and the VARIO ELMARIT-R 28-90mm via the Fotodiox adapter.

• Like 8

Panasonic G9 + Apo-Macro-Elmarit-R 100mm, no crop 

• Like 9

Lumix S1R / Leica-R 80-200

ISO-1000

f5.6

Just a quick snap out of my kitchen window this morning

• Like 6

Inside a studio.  SL with R24mm

• Like 6

2 hours ago, lawrence_lee said:

Inside a studio.  SL with R24mm

I am never sure why some people are so negative about this lens. I have a late ROM version of the 24 Elmarit-R-II, made in Germany and see little wrong with the many photos I have taken with it. However now that I have acquired a 21-35 Vario Elmar-R, I may sell off some of my R lenses that this covers, the 21/4 Super Angulon (3 cam), the 24 Elmarit-R (ROM) and the 35 Elmarit-R 2 cam. The 35 Elmarit arrived on my Leicaflex SL2 but I already had a 3 cam 35 Summicron, which is a newer and better lens to use on it. I cannot use the 21-35 on my Leicaflex, due to the ROM contacts but I have the 35 Summicron for that and I can use the 21-35 on my R4, R8 and R9 plus at the moment it is on my M10-R. 

Wilson

1 hour ago, wlaidlaw said:

I am never sure why some people are so negative about this lens

I think it was the competition at that time. Nikon had a wonderful 24/2.8 which I indeed liked a lot. And there was a sort of brand fetisjism: Leica had designed this 24 and had it produced by Minolta. Or vice versa, never mind, this has left a stain on the reputation of this lens. And reputations come on foot and leave on horseback. Later on, Contax had the Zeiss 25/2.8 which I loved even more than the Nikon, Zeiss at its best in colors and sharp with sympathy.

Otto, I bought the Zeiss ZM 25/2.8 for when after my retirement from my City of London company, for a while I did some yacht photography for the brochures put out by Yacht brokers and their websites. The ZM 25 was more rectilinear than my well used 24 Elmarit-M and less prone to flare, which is important when you illuminating an interior with lots of snoot lights. I still use it on my M8 for infra red photography. 

Wilson

• Like 1

One more R24mm with SL

• Like 6

8 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

I am never sure why some people are so negative about this lens.

I think some of the negativity comes from people who adapted the lens to other brands for general use, not realizing that it is a reportage lens.  That it is blinding sharp in the center probably further contributes to the impression of softness in the periphery.  

I previously owned a 1980's copy of the lens and subsequently a much later, noticeably better, ROM copy, which would seem to confirm assertions I've read that Leica tweaked the optical formula over the years as they were forced to source new glass for its production.  I currently use the ZM 25mm f/2.8 and am satisfied with its across-the-frame rendering.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tritentrue said:

I think some of the negativity comes from people who adapted the lens to other brands for general use, not realizing that it is a reportage lens.  That it is blinding sharp in the center probably further contributes to the impression of softness in the periphery.  

I previously owned a 1980's copy of the lens and subsequently a much later, noticeably better, ROM copy, which would seem to confirm assertions I've read that Leica tweaked the optical formula over the years as they were forced to source new glass for its production.  I currently use the ZM 25mm f/2.8 and am satisfied with its across-the-frame rendering.

Rob

I agree much later copy of R24mm has noticeably better result.

Lawrence

10 hours ago, otto.f said:

I don’t know whether the ZM version is the same as the reflex version which I used on my  Contax RTS iii at that time, but I guess it won’t be dramatically different either.

The ZM 25 was a wholly new design of lens being an updated Biogon prime focal type . The 25/2.8 in CX/Y is a Distagon retrofocal type lens and was one of the oldest designs in the CX/Y range, dating back to Contarex days. I had one for use with my RTS II and RX and it gave quite pleasant rendition but had more vignetting, flare and softer corners than more modern designs would have. I would put it on a par with the R-1 version of the Elmarit 24-R, with the Minolta made optical cell. The R-II version with Wetzlar glass is a pretty modest advance and really Leica should have put some more effort into a complete re-design. Leica never seems to put a great amount of work into their 24/25mm lenses and to some extent, either R or M, until quite recently they have been the "orphan child" of the lens ranges. One can see that as the best 24mm lens they ever made, the 24 Summilux has been quietly dropped and I would be surprised if it was replaced. 

Wilson

• Like 1