R lens image thread.

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

Leica of the past, generally was not very good at zoom lenses, especially compared to their primes. The 28-70 Vario-Elmar-R Mk.2 lens, made by Sigma to a Leica design, is pretty mediocre compared to my Zeiss 28-85 Vario-Sonnar f3.3 or the Zeiss designed Vario-Rolleinar 28-105 f3.2 that came on my recent acquisition of a Rolleiflex 3003 35mm System camera. Neither of the Zeiss lenses have perceptible barrel or pincushion distortion at either end of the zoom range. The Mk.2 version of the 28-70 I have is considerably improved from the Mk.1 at the wide end and now has only a little barrel distortion but has pretty appalling pincushion distortion at the tele end. 

Wilson

Hello Wilson,

you are right except for LEICA VARIO-APO-ELMARIT-R 70-180 mm f/2.8, LEICA VARIO-ELMARIT-R 28-90 MM F/2.8-4.5 ASPH, LEICA VARIO-ELMAR-R 21-35 mm f/3.5-4 ASPH,  and for LEICA VARIO-ELMAR-R 35-70 mm f/4 (which has an aspheric lens). The first two ones are stellar.

http://www.summilux.net/perso/teiki arii/Puts_Column_28-90_mm_Leica_R_Lenses_en.pdf

http://www.summilux.net/perso/teiki arii/Puts_Column_35-70_mm_Leica_R_Lenses_en.pdf

http://www.summilux.net/perso/teiki arii/Puts_Column_21-35_mm_Leica_R_Lenses_en.pdf

http://www.summilux.net/perso/teiki arii/Puts_Column_70-180_mm_Leica_R_Lenses_en.pdf

Edited by teiki arii
  • Like 2

Perhaps one man's trash is another man's treasure . . . 

SL with 105-280mm f/4.2 Vario-Elmar-R zoom lens at +1.3 EV, rendering superb detail even in harsh backlighting . . . 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, farnz said:

And the 80-200/4 Vario-Elmar-R, which is excellent too.

Pete.

Hello Pete,

I like it but is a step behind the others (including the LEICA VARIO-ELMAR-R 35-70 mm f/4). Very good at 80mm until 140mm anyway... The bokeh at 200 is not the Walter Mandler's one I am fond of, that we can find with the Leica Elmarit-R 180/2.8 Ver.2 (non Apo) for example despite of CA W.O.   🙃

http://www.summilux.net/perso/teiki arii/Puts_Column_80-200_mm_Leica_R_Lenses_en.pdf

Edited by teiki arii

If you compare the Leica 80-200/f4 to the Zeiss 100-300 f4.5 (I have both), oddly with both lenses made by the same company, Kyoto Ceramic (Kyocera), in Japan, the Leica lens just does not have the same pin sharpness as the Zeiss throughout the focal length range and has more pincushion distortion at the tele end. I also far prefer the handling of the Zeiss zoom lenses with trombone zoom and twist to focus to the two ring Leica arrangement. Whenever I mount the 80-200 on one of my R cameras or before I got an L mount tele zoom, on my SL or CL digitals, and go to focus, I always end up zooming and wondering why its not focusing. I then kick myself to remember that  the focus control is the far ring. Similarly I don't think my Leica R 35-70 is quite as good as my Zeiss 28-85, although close and its narrow range of zoom is a distinct limitation. That is why I put up with the inferior 28-70 R lens, as I most often use it at the 28mm end. I believe that the Leica 28-90/2.8 is very good but the videographers have hoovered up most of the supply and the price is very high. I paid £350 for a new old stock 28-85 Zeiss a few years ago, which I use with a Novoflex adapter on my M240 and look forward to doing so, as and when the M10R/M11 arrives (I am #1 on the Ffordes waiting list), hopefully with a much improved EVF from the dismal Visoflex 2 on the M240. I wish a Contax CX/Y to Leica R adapter was possible but it isn't, as the CX/Y flange focal distance is shorter than Leica R (45.5mm against 47mm), otherwise I would love to use my Zeiss 28-85 and 100-300 lenses on my R cameras. 

Wilson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

SL + R180 2.8 APO + Macro Adaptor

• Like 6

SL with 105-280mm Vario-Elmar-R ZOOM lens (uncropped) . . . 

Taking a sit-down break in the park after the rain today, and received the wonderful gift of a visit by an Oriental Pied Hornbill . . . 

Edited by tritentrue
  • Like 11

A survivor of the Luftwaffe and Plymouth City Council. Leica R8 with Elmarit 28mm f2.8, Ilford Delta 400 at 250 in PMK Pyro

• Like 11

SL with 105-280mm Vario-Elmar-R ZOOM lens, cropped at about 50% . . .

Purple Heron almost an adult now . . . 

• Like 7

SL with 105-280mm Vario-Elmar-R ZOOM lens, cropped at about 50% . . .

Little Heron . . . 

• Like 10

On 6/21/2020 at 3:02 PM, wlaidlaw said:

If you compare the Leica 80-200/f4 to the Zeiss 100-300 f4.5 (I have both), oddly with both lenses made by the same company, Kyoto Ceramic (Kyocera), in Japan, the Leica lens just does not have the same pin sharpness as the Zeiss throughout the focal length range and has more pincushion distortion at the tele end. I also far prefer the handling of the Zeiss zoom lenses with trombone zoom and twist to focus to the two ring Leica arrangement. Whenever I mount the 80-200 on one of my R cameras or before I got an L mount tele zoom, on my SL or CL digitals, and go to focus, I always end up zooming and wondering why its not focusing. I then kick myself to remember that  the focus control is the far ring. Similarly I don't think my Leica R 35-70 is quite as good as my Zeiss 28-85, although close and its narrow range of zoom is a distinct limitation. That is why I put up with the inferior 28-70 R lens, as I most often use it at the 28mm end. I believe that the Leica 28-90/2.8 is very good but the videographers have hoovered up most of the supply and the price is very high. I paid £350 for a new old stock 28-85 Zeiss a few years ago, which I use with a Novoflex adapter on my M240 and look forward to doing so, as and when the M10R/M11 arrives (I am #1 on the Ffordes waiting list), hopefully with a much improved EVF from the dismal Visoflex 2 on the M240. I wish a Contax CX/Y to Leica R adapter was possible but it isn't, as the CX/Y flange focal distance is shorter than Leica R (45.5mm against 47mm), otherwise I would love to use my Zeiss 28-85 and 100-300 lenses on my R cameras. 

Wilson

Wilson, Fotodiox makes a mount for converting Leica R to Nikon F, which also has a shorter flange focal distance than Leica R (46.5mm vs 47mm). I converted an APO-Extender-R briefly, which was later easily reversible.

I checked the Fotodiox website and see nothing for Contax CX/Y to Leica R, though.  I guess taking another 1mm of thickness from the mount would make it too flimsy, or maybe they just have no demand for that option.

Rob

Edited by tritentrue
Added an image to "legalize" my post...
  • Like 4

You can't convert a lens with a shorter flange focal distance (e.g. Contax 45.5mm) for a camera with a longer flange focal distance (e.g. Leica R 47mm) if you want to focus to infinity. You would need an adapter with a negative thickness. Now this is not as impossible as it sounds, if you have a small diameter lens being used on a larger mount throat. I have just such a top hat shaped adapter made by Novoflex, a LEIMAR, with an M39 x 26 mount and the recessed lens thread is for either the 65mm/f3.5 Elmar Visoflex head or the head off the 135/4 Tele-Elmar, both of which have 33mm x 0,5mm mount threads.. It is made to fit the 65 Elmar head in a recessed position on the Novoflex Leica LTM/LTM bellows. 

Wilson

Geevor tin mine ore crusher and our Guide. Leicaflex SL2, Summilux R 80mm f1.4, Ilford HP5 at 3200 in Tmax 1:4

• Like 11

8 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

You can't convert a lens with a shorter flange focal distance (e.g. Contax 45.5mm) for a camera with a longer flange focal distance (e.g. Leica R 47mm) if you want to focus to infinity. You would need an adapter with a negative thickness. Now this is not as impossible as it sounds, if you have a small diameter lens being used on a larger mount throat. I have just such a top hat shaped adapter made by Novoflex, a LEIMAR, with an M39 x 26 mount and the recessed lens thread is for either the 65mm/f3.5 Elmar Visoflex head or the head off the 135/4 Tele-Elmar, both of which have 33mm x 0,5mm mount threads.. It is made to fit the 65 Elmar head in a recessed position on the Novoflex Leica LTM/LTM bellows. 

Wilson

Point taken, Wilson, thank you.  I had it backwards, from R mount rather than to R mount.

Anyway, a shot from the mount conversion some years ago, D7100 with 180mm APO Elmarit R + APO-Extender-R 2X, which also illustrates why I soon abandoned that setup . . . 🙃

Ruby-Throated Hummingbird . . . 

• Like 8

Elmar 135mm f/4 as a 200mm EQ and cropped

Edited by jankap
  • Like 6

Am 23.6.2020 um 03:01 schrieb tritentrue:

Anyway, a shot from the mount conversion some years ago, D7100 with 180mm APO Elmarit R + APO-Extender-R 2X, which also illustrates why I soon abandoned that setup . . . 🙃

To understand your comment. Why does the picture illustrate the disadvantage of the conversion? Did you change the mount of the extender? I suppose you meant an adaptor?

For me, it is a perfect picture.

Edited by jankap

In the 18th century Wheal Mexico mine workings at Geevor. Tiny, cramped, constantly ducking and leaning over, with water pouring in. Possibly an 80 was a bit too long a lens, but with the SL2 I had the mass to be shooting it at 1/30th wide open without too much shake. Again, HP5 pushed to 3200 in Tmax 1:4.

Edited by Charles Morgan
  • Like 10

On 3/31/2019 at 8:53 PM, mmradman said:

With SL601 and Summilux R 80mm. 

As of this weekend SL601 has gone, part exchanged for Z7 but the lens is keeper for ever.

I like these photos that speak of ... immense and boundless.

• Like 1