R lens image thread.

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Nikon Z7 + Leica R Lux 85/1.4

B/W processed.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

Towanroath shaft pump house, Wheal Coates, St Agnes, Cornwall

Leica R8, Elmarit R 28mm f2.8, Adox HR50 in HR-50 1:49 developer

• Like 11

As above

• Like 13

11 hours ago, Alon said:

Ohhh. I did not shoot with Pentax for ages and never tried the 50/1.4.....maybe I should.

Although i have quite a few 50mm focal lens, My preferred 50mm remain the Cron  and the Lux which has a unique rendering complexion.

As for EVF cameras. i had the same reluctance but changed my mind with the Nkon Z 7. Give it a try.

BTW. I enjoy your photography.

I agree about Leica-R lenses (50/2 E55 and 50/1.4 E60 especially). I'm sure you are right about Nikon Z7 but I am in no hurry. The Pentax K-1 is an old camera in digital terms (4 years old), but still the best FF OVF SR camera today according to my needs (with manual focus Leica-R lenses), despite the "old" A7R sensor (36Mp but in Pentax sauce). I shall keep it for a while until a big gap can be reached in a few years time vs EVF FF camera (a far better EVF, a far better sensor)... The Leica-R lenses Pentax K-1 is a great great combo, anyway. 

3 hours ago, bags27 said:

great photo, and love the grain.

I agree.. But it must be a 80/1.4 lens not a 85/1.4 lens...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, teiki arii said:

I agree about Leica-R lenses (50/2 E55 and 50/1.4 E60 especially). I'm sure you are right about Nikon Z7 but I am in no hurry. The Pentax K-1 is an old camera in digital terms (4 years old), but still the best FF OVF SR camera today according to my needs (with manual focus Leica-R lenses), despite the "old" A7R sensor (36Mp but in Pentax sauce). I shall keep it for a while until a big gap can be reached in a few years time vs EVF FF camera (a far better EVF, a far better sensor)... The Leica-R lenses Pentax K-1 is a great great combo, anyway. 

I agree.. But it must be a 80/1.4 lens not a 85/1.4 lens...

Ooops. Leica R Lux 80/1.4

Edited by Alon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I adore the 80mm f1.4 Summilux, mine has a bit more wear, but the glass remains beautiful. It is magical.

Geevor tin mine ore crushing drum. Leicaflex SL2 with Summilux R 80mm almost wide open, Ilford HP5+ at 3200 in Tmax 1:4

• Like 9

Hi Wilson - agreed. It was an accident - I left the R8 at home by mistake (pre-loaded with TmaxP3200), and only had HP5 in the camera bag, which I loaded into the SL2 when the colour roll in there was shot. I checked that I could push it that far and the right developer, and found that when I got it out of the tank the results were spectacular, whereas all the 3200 Tmax or Delta I had used before was excessively grainy. As of now, I am happy shooting HP5+ from 250 all the way to 3200 (yet to try 6400 with Microphen), which in my book makes it the most versatile film imaginable!

Edited by Charles Morgan
  • Thanks 1

Another one of Geevor with the same combination

• Like 8

Charles, 

That sort of motor is very familiar to me. Our family textile factory in the north of Scotland had manual start 20-40HP squirrel cage motors just like that during the 1950's to drive the overhead belting in the individual departments. Up until 1938, when mains electricity arrived, the shafting had been driven for the whole mill, by a Shanks 68 litre 80HP single cylinder diesel (a licence built Deutz engine). I would have loved to see that running but it was requisitioned/sold to the RAF during WW2 to run a generator at an airfield on Shetland, which did not have mains power. 

Wilson

Fuji XH-1+ Elmarit-R 180mm v2

ISO 2000

• Like 7

19 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

Charles, 

That sort of motor is very familiar to me. Our family textile factory in the north of Scotland had manual start 20-40HP squirrel cage motors just like that during the 1950's to drive the overhead belting in the individual departments. Up until 1938, when mains electricity arrived, the shafting had been driven for the whole mill, by a Shanks 68 litre 80HP single cylinder diesel (a licence built Deutz engine). I would have loved to see that running but it was requisitioned/sold to the RAF during WW2 to run a generator at an airfield on Shetland, which did not have mains power. 

Wilson

Here it's powering a tin ore crusher. The ore is loaded with numerous steel balls (one is on the motor) and then rotated. Originally the drum was unlined, later rubber lined to reduce noise. Even with the rubber in place, the sound must have been horrendous as a test on a sample of rubber lining showed in the visit. Sadly much of the machinery (especially the newer kit that could be sold) was stripped out when the mine shut in 1990.

• Like 1

SL with 105-280mm f/4.2 Vario-Elmar-R . . . 

• Like 10

• Like 7

That this 24-year-old lens is better than most modern lenses of near-equivalent focal length doesn't surprise me. But how much better it is always surprises me whenever look at the shots I get from it.  Even in challenging lighting, as in the shot below and the two foregoing, it renders much more detail than can be displayed in images formatted for this forum.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, tritentrue said:

That this 24-year-old lens is better than most modern lenses of near-equivalent focal length doesn't surprise me. But how much better it is always surprises me whenever look at the shots I get from it.  Even in challenging lighting, as in the shot below and the two foregoing, it renders much more detail than can be displayed in images formatted for this forum.

I agree, Rob, but I think it has quite a bit to do with the ability of the person holding it too and the skilful processing of the pictures from it - just enough, never too much.  I really do enjoy your wonderful pictures of birds.

Pete.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Leica of the past, generally was not very good at zoom lenses, especially compared to their primes. The 28-70 Vario-Elmar-R Mk.2 lens, made by Sigma to a Leica design, is pretty mediocre compared to my Zeiss 28-85 Vario-Sonnar f3.3 or the Zeiss designed Vario-Rolleinar 28-105 f3.2 that came on my recent acquisition of a Rolleiflex 3003 35mm System camera. Neither of the Zeiss lenses have perceptible barrel or pincushion distortion at either end of the zoom range. The Mk.2 version of the 28-70 I have is considerably improved from the Mk.1 at the wide end and now has only a little barrel distortion but has pretty appalling pincushion distortion at the tele end. 

Wilson